Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Brexit is Brexit! That was a slogan that worked really well for the current soon-to-be-former PM, isn't it. 

:unsure: 

regardless of what the PM said, Brexit means Brexit according to the Labour party also. Theresa May clearly thought if she used Brexit it would mean the 17 million people who voted leave would vote Tory as at the time a vote for Labour meant Brexit could be in jepardoy but Labour somewhat shot her fox, when they also came out and said they also agree Brexit means Brexit. making it possible for any number of the 17 Million brexiteers being able to vote for labour safe in the knowledge Labour will also deliver Brexit,  as a result Brexit was no longer under jeopardy under labour. it allowed Brexit labour voters to return, and also seen an exodus away from UKIP back to labour.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I think at this stage the actual format and details that will underpin brexit is anybodies guess. Your idea is sound bee (minus the unelected person) but in our form of democracy is a non starter. Imagine what would happen if 1 party accepted that the other party had any good ideas or talented people. There would be a constitutional crisis. 

Im guessing the cross party select committees will act in such away without the need to form a cross party brexit team. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I think at this stage the actual format and details that will underpin brexit is anybodies guess. Your idea is sound bee (minus the unelected person) but in our form of democracy is a non starter. Imagine what would happen if 1 party accepted that the other party had any good ideas or talented people. There would be a constitutional crisis. 

Farage could represent the MEPs :) 

Regarding the proposed Cross Party Brexit team - perhaps we have that now, sort of, with the election results
because there will be cross party voting on all the Brexit related stuff .... which there was always going to be but now
more than ever it will be a cross party affair -- ?

16 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

regardless of what the PM said, Brexit means Brexit according to the Labour party also. Theresa May clearly thought if she used Brexit it would mean the 17 million people who voted leave would vote Tory as at the time a vote for Labour meant Brexit could be in jepardoy but Labour somewhat shot her fox, when they also came out and said they also agree Brexit means Brexit. making it possible for any number of the 17 Million brexiteers being able to vote for labour safe in the knowledge Labour will also deliver Brexit,  as a result Brexit was no longer under jeopardy under labour. it allowed Brexit labour voters to return, and also seen an exodus away from UKIP back to labour.

now you've gone and shot Captain Risky's fox - you know how he longs for and promotes the ''''soft'''' even though he doesn't live here -- ^_^

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Im guessing the cross party select committees will act in such away without the need to form a cross party brexit team.

Probably right. But the committees are usually well camouflaged amongst the shouting and condemation of 1 side about the other.

Let me be honest I absolutely deplore the idea of Brexit. But the only party offering to stop it were the Lib Dems. so we going to have brexit - lets have the best minds the UK has got to get it right for us all.

As a minor point, today I can jump in my car drive to dublin and back without ever knowing I'd crossed a border (except for currency and road signs) I want that to continue to be able to do that - not to have to que for hours and show passports. lots of companies are established North and south I want operational costs between the two parts of the same enterprise minimised. Trade runs freely between the parts of Ireland - will that be hampered? Farmers have been promised subsidies to 2020 - what  happens after that.

Its the dark I am afraid of as much as anthing else.

Edited by RAyMO
added a bit
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Oh rubbish! Norway is out side the common market but is still synced to EU laws, movement and trade. Russia is outside the common market too but they are not synced to EU laws and trade. 

whatever

The British People were more or less conned into the POLITICAL union with Europe anyway -

That was brought in by stealth after being sold originally as a trade agreement - the common market -

I've got to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of hearing terms such as Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit, Flacid Brexit... Icantbelieveitsnotbrexit <_<

It's not rocket science, and the conditions haven't changed since the day we voted to leave; it's about what we have to offer and what they have to offer, and striking a deal that's in both our interests.

"No deal" has to be our hard bargaining stance to counter the EU's equally hard demands for a large divorce bill and no perks stance. From here, it's time to decide the give and take - it's negotiating 101.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Probably right. But the committees are usually well camouflaged amongst the shouting and condemation of 1 side about the other.

Let me be honest I absolutely deplore the idea of Brexit. But the only party offering to stop it were the Lib Dems. so we going to have brexit - lets have the best minds the UK has got to get it right for us all.

As a minor point, today I can jump in my car drive to dublin and back without ever knowing I'd crossed a border (except for currency and road signs) I want that to continue to be able to do that - not to have to que for hours and show passports. lots of companies are established North and south I want operational costs between the two parts of the same enterprise minimised. Trade runs freely between the parts of Ireland - will that be hampered? Farmers have been promised subsidies to 2020 - what  happens after that.

I'm glad you're in the thread to bring in the Northern Ireland position - it's educational to hear from someone
'on the ground' and you put your views in a clear and reasonable way -

re the bolded... can't say any fairer than that although I doubt that everyone will feel it's right no matter what happens -

I suppose in a nutshell --- Ireland was united by the EU but without the EU it becomes disunited again and the involvement
of the DUP working with the Conservatives to hold the government together adds another layer of disunity - - ?

I can now see how all this is a huge concern for people in Northern Ireland who don't want it all to slip back into violence -

5 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Dont worry about the hard - soft border the Rep of Ireland does not want it and the UK doesn't want it. a solution will be found. It's in the interest and benefit of both the UK and Ireland for the movement and continuation of goods and people.

As for farmers subsidies to 2020, it could be extended, but is it no possible for Farmers to become more productive over the next ten years whereby they no longer need subsidies. freed from the burden of EU red tape and with new export opportunities with trade deals outside the EU.

• Like 1

just in case someone has just joined the thread, the Tories are in fact in power still and Labour did NOT win the election ....contrary to the tone of many posters......

its akin to a footballing side getting beat 10-0 at home, then in the return fixture they only lose 5-0.......and continue to celebrate it as if they had won.....maybe we should just just congratulate Labour for winning the election....

guess its this 'taking part that counts' mentality that has crippled our National teams in various sports......where is this desire to compete..to win......

we seem to be too busy 'taking part' and 'turning the other cheek'.......blows my mind at times

• Like 4

1 hour ago, quillius said:

just in case someone has just joined the thread, the Tories are in fact in power still and Labour did NOT win the election ....contrary to the tone of many posters......

its akin to a footballing side getting beat 10-0 at home, then in the return fixture they only lose 5-0.......and continue to celebrate it as if they had won.....maybe we should just just congratulate Labour for winning the election....

guess its this 'taking part that counts' mentality that has crippled our National teams in various sports......where is this desire to compete..to win......

we seem to be too busy 'taking part' and 'turning the other cheek'.......blows my mind at times

Even worse, not only did they lose but they lost against a party which didnt get its act together when campaigning for votes. If she had I suspect the landslide majority we were expending would have occurred.

Oh the bright side it sets the Labour Party up for a huge disappointment at the next General Election.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Even worse, not only did they lose but they lost against a party which didnt get its act together when campaigning for votes. If she had I suspect the landslide majority we were expending would have occurred.

Oh the bright side it sets the Labour Party up for a huge disappointment at the next General Election.

also add in that Labour only increased their share by targeting kids, who simply vote on one aspect..free uni...glad the grown ups still won the day.

it reminds me of pyramid selling, my wife once said there is this great new scheme and people she knows have been paid out thousands.....I explained that she needs to remember the thousands they get paid means someone else is losing and eventually it grinds to a halt because money cannot just be produced from thin air. She still ignored me (as she knows best) bought in and lost £3k......reminds me of the free uni promised......money out of think air? I think not

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Britain won't create a border, if the EU force Ireland into having a border maybe they'll reconsider their membership.

• Like 1

Well,it's time for our new regular feature, Fun with Jeremy Corbyn. Today, Jeremy shows off exactly why he caught the voters' eye by demonstrating the size of his merchandise! ^_^

Image result for jeremy corbyn fun

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

30 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Well,it's time for our new regular feature, Fun with Jeremy Corbyn. Today, Jeremy shows off exactly why he caught the voters' eye by demonstrating the size of his merchandise! ^_^

Image result for jeremy corbyn fun

Corbyn more like cor blimey, "It's the biggest in the world" Jeremy it's not the biggest in the world how many times do we have to tell you "it is it's the biggest in the world"

And in the interests of unbias, Fun with Theresa May.

er .... 

• Like 1

But oh dear, I fear she may be in need of a reboot.

“What I’m feeling is...”

It appears that she doesn't have any actual feelings or emotions then and when asked questions that aren't in her programming reverts to the default setting, "repeat pre-programmed slogan over and over". 

Have they tried turning her off and turning her on again?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, keithisco said:

JRM would certainly be a major contender if he stood. The only negative baggage that he carries is his Eton background-but he is extremely witty. 

He is a pompous ass.

He would be a major disaster.

7 hours ago, bee said:

That's good to hear - at least the two main parties seem to be on the same page, in theory - re. Brexit -

It's a pity there isn't a cross party Brexit team that also includes Farage .... the referendum itself was
cross party then it got mixed up with Party Politics because the Conservatives were (and are) in Government -

It is wonderful the idiot Farage has gone to ground for a few weeks, hopefully for ever.

33 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

It is wonderful the idiot Farage has gone to ground for a few weeks, hopefully for ever.

just for you eugeneonegin - :devil: 

ps - how's your brother alibongo these days --- :whistle:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

he's been everywhere, just waiting for his People to call on him to return, like King Arthur. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

It appears that she doesn't have any actual feelings or emotions then and when asked questions that aren't in her programming reverts to the default setting, "repeat pre-programmed slogan over and over".

Worse yet despite being utterly discredited she intends to continue by propping up her party with the rather ugly DUP. A party that is demonstrably homophobic and advocates the worst kind of religious bigotry

The DUP from its inception was the political wing of loyalist terrorism. The loyalist terrorists murdered 1,016 people in the period 1969-2001. They shot someone dead in a supermarket car park actually during an election campaign.

If this doesnt damage public support for the Tory party there is still the potential for the economic instability from a hung parliament in the face of a kind of brexit which looks increasingly likely to disatisfy most. Rightly or wrongly this was a balls up.

Perhaps the best comment was by the Police community who ironically argues Theresa should do "more with less MPs" just like all other public services the irony of which as a public sector worker was deeply satisfying ;)

However you see it here the British public are the only ones who will lose out here. This is not a good place to be having triggered Art50.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chortle said:

If this doesnt damage public support for the Tory party there is still the potential for the economic instability from a hung parliament in the face of a kind of brexit which looks increasingly likely to disatisfy most. Rightly or wrongly this was a balls up.

Potential for economic instability? There's always economic instability. it's what Governments do best. I wouldn't have been holding my breath for that situation to change should Mr. C. have somehow managed to get in. And now that Ms. May's mislaid her majority, she's going to have difficulty just "telling Brussels where to shove it", as  many here were recommending. She may (assuming she's still in office by next week) will have to adjust her stance somewhat. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Potential for economic instability? There's always economic instability. it's what Governments do best. I wouldn't have been holding my breath for that situation to change should Mr. C. have somehow managed to get in. And now that Ms. May's mislaid her majority, she's going to have difficulty just "telling Brussels where to shove it", as  many here were recommending. She may (assuming she's still in office by next week) will have to adjust her stance somewhat. 

It wont make any difference to the Brexit negotiations, Brussels will still demand a totally unacceptable divorce bill, designed to humiliate the Nation and prevent other members wanting to leave. They really do not understand how to negotiate which is why their deals take so long to negotiate.

Well, they also have very little time to negotiate and seem intent on turning the process into a farce.

• Like 1

i see, what was his name, David Davis? The Brexit Secretary, has been lending his fulsome support to the Iron Lady. So his name'll be on the voting card next week then, alongside Boris and possibly even Michael Gove. What am embarrassment of riches to choose from! Well, embarrassment anyway.