Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

9 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Do you think there's any chance of a hung parliament? 

No chance. Exit polls point to an increased Tory majority. With Corbyn as labour leader May is a shoe in...

Edited by Captain Risky

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

If only...

Oh you mean no-one getting a majority. Sorry, fantasy got away with me there.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

At the end of the day someone is going to get "hung" that's for sure

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm confused. Maybe someone can explain your crazy ways to this American lol

Someone an just schedule a general election whenever they want?

Where I come from elections can be held at any time within 4 years of the last one and in theory it is decided by the queeen, but in reality it is the PM who decides when to hold elections. The last possible date for the next election is 17th of june 2019.

One of the good things about not having a fixed election date is that our elections are very short, usually 30-40 days. :P

• Like 2

The big question is...  will Alibongo make it to the polling station?

• Like 3

Maybe someone'd better tell him. Actually maybe some had better tell the Labour; they don't seem to have found a candidate yet for my area. 

I wonder what the Tory manifesto will be, I expect it to be all about investing in Britain and security. We have £10Billion extra to spend per annum. plus money raised on potential tariffs raised against EU imports. roughly £7 Billion. the foreign aid budget £12.4Billion spent last year. that law brought in under the coalition Tory/Lib Dem government which means we have to spend 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid, needs scrapping. reduce the foreign aid budget by half. - The Tory government could have a manifesto with an extra £23Billion per annum to spend. the economic boost of just £10 billion being spent would be like setting off a rocket off under our economy sending it into the stratosphere. 

The UK's priorities outside the EU mean our domestic politics have to change and reflect that, and thats where the Labour party and Lib Dems will come unstuck. the Lib Dems will promise the world knowing they'll never be in a position to have to deliver. and the Labour Party will be going old school promising spending on benefits and welfare it'll be money not costed and full of holes etc...

I wonder what the Tory manifesto will be,

I'm going to guess a great big dollop of feel-good phrases full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. They'll have to run it off the presses pretty quickly, won't they. I expect they've got it standing by for printing, though. They probably just need to call it up on Microsoft Word and press "print". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevewinn said:

This could backfire but obviously the Government feels the need to get a larger majority in parliament and with Labour in total disarray and way behind in the polls,this could be the ideal time. - plus it gives the people of Scotland a chance to give the SNP a good kicking and kill off any independence call. 

I think this also highlights Brexit is going to be hard brexit as people call it. - its likely to result in more Brexit MP's being elected, and then if at the end of the two year negotiations with the EU the UK Parliament has to vote on 'the deal' then with that new larger majority the Government should pass the bill with ease.

Its a gamble but worth it. alot of people who voted Brexit but dont vote Tory might just have to hold their nose as they put an X in the Tory box. 

Its politics 101 by Theresa May.

re bolded --- exactly

this election is all about Brexit and we have to follow up the referendum by voting Tory to give Teresa May a workable majority -

I don't normally vote Tory but I definitely will this time because my Conservative MP is pro Brexit - 

I hope UKIP doesn't split the vote unnecessarily but perhaps they can be of some good in traditional Labour areas
where they are a more acceptable alternative to the Conservatives for Labour voters who voted Leave in the referendum - ?

• Like 1

I know the bookies can get it wrong and many did in the lead up to the EU referendum and the US election -

although I suspect there might have been some political shenanigans creeping in there to do with polls --
and raking in money on bets for the losers because heavy punters thought it was a safe bet - a done deal -
but the bookies probably knew it wasn't (a safe bet) - so pitched their odds to suggest a safe bet but without
prohibitive odds -

the odds ARE prohibitive at the moment --- in terms of betting on a Conservative win (except for the rich punters) -

ranging from 1/12 to 1/20 ---- (ie you would have to put £20 on to win 1£ or £20,000 to win £1,000 in the case of 1/20 )

the odds will fluctuate on the site below but this is what they are today -- 

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats

30 minutes ago, bee said:

re bolded --- exactly

this election is all about Brexit and we have to follow up the referendum by voting Tory to give Teresa May a workable majority -

I don't normally vote Tory but I definitely will this time because my Conservative MP is pro Brexit - 

I hope UKIP doesn't split the vote unnecessarily but perhaps they can be of some good in traditional Labour areas
where they are a more acceptable alternative to the Conservatives for Labour voters who voted Leave in the referendum - ?

Sorry bee but how is it about brexit? The two biggest parties have pro-brexit leaders.

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Sorry bee but how is it about brexit? The two biggest parties have pro-brexit leaders.

Corbyn was party politically a Remainer (albeit a bit half hearted) -
although there was speculation that he may have cast his personal vote for Leave -

only one party - indeed only one party leader can deliver Brexit as voted for by the public -

guess who...? ... :) 

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

well,  the Labour opposed Brexit, if sort of half heartedly, (and two thirds of Labour supporters apparently voted Remain) even though it's commonly believed that Jezzer Corbyn was only taking that position because he thought that was what his voters wanted. They'll most probably campaign, not anti-brexit as it's a bit late for that now but for as soft a Brexit as they think they'd be likely to get.

12 minutes ago, bee said:

Corbyn was party politically a Remainer (albeit a bit half hearted) -
although there was speculation that he may have cast his personal vote for Leave -

only one party - indeed only one party leader can deliver Brexit as voted for by the public -

guess who...? ... :) 

...i don't remember Corbyn standing out as a remainer. Quite the opposite. If there was a true pro-EU Labour leader like Blair, then the remainers would have their second referendum. Voters could easily cross party lines and vote a second election/referendum. 

Edited by Captain Risky

10 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

well,  the Labour opposed Brexit, if sort of half heartedly, (and two thirds of Labour supporters apparently voted Remain) even though it's commonly believed that Jezzer Corbyn was only taking that position because he thought that was what his voters wanted. They'll most probably campaign, not anti-brexit as it's a bit late for that now but for as soft a Brexit as they think they'd be likely to get.

No i don't think its late for that at all. Corbin could just as easily campaign on a soft brexit. 

...i don't remember Corbyn standing out as a remainer. Quite the opposite. If there was a true pro-EU Labour leader like Blair, then the remainers would have their second referendum. Voters could easily cross party lines and vote a second election/referendum. 

that's just wishful thinking speculation --- not reality -

the reality is that this is the EU referendum Part Two and everyone who wants to Leave in the way that
was voted for by the majority has to support Teresa May - 

Edited by bee
spelling

24 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Bee is totally correct, its about Brexit, the General election is to give the Government a large workable majority. - because the current majority of 8 is problematic as we go forward, and as the Prime Minister stated yesterday there are too many remoaner MP's seeking to undermine the Governments position. this could be seized upon by the EU - this election will be used to clear the decks, including reforming of the Lords will be on the cards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bee said:

that's just wishful thinking speculation --- not reality -

the reality is hat this is the EU referendum Part Two and everyone who wants to Leave in the way that
was voted for by the majority has to support Teresa May - 

...i guess it is speculation. But if the election was fought on brexit, and the brexit crowd won by 52% that means that out there, Corbyn would be guaranteed at least half the votes ( including the regetxit votes) Enough to sabotage brexit with a soft exit. 

5 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Bee is totally correct, its about Brexit, the General election is to give the Government a large workable majority. - because the current majority of 8 is problematic as we go forward, and as the Prime Minister stated yesterday there are too many remoaner MP's seeking to undermine the Governments position. this could be seized upon by the EU - this election will be used to clear the decks, including reforming of the Lords will be on the cards.

The government already has a decent majority. May is just looking to move Britain to the right. The election would only be about brexit if Corbyn came to the party. As it stands... he can't be bothered and as a consequence labour will lose the election. This is or rather was a golden opportunity for Labour to take government and unite pro-EU remainers and move Britain to the left. May is very cleaver and Corbyn is not.

Edited by Captain Risky

May is very cleaver and Corbyn is not.

indeed she is -

apparently her and her husband Philip have just been on a walking holiday in North Wales - like they normally like to do -

nothing like relaxation, some good fresh air and exercise and nice long chats with a trusted friend and spouse to clear the head -

18 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The government already has a decent majority. May is just looking to move Britain to the right. The election would only be about brexit if Corbyn came to the party. As it stands... he can't be bothered and as a consequence labour will lose the election. This is or rather was a golden opportunity for Labour to take government and unite pro-EU remainers and move Britain to the left. May is very cleaver and Corbyn is not.

you don't understand, where are you getting your information. The current majority the government has is unworkable, they have a majority of 17. this election is called to give them between 80 to 100 majority. see the difference. 

Labour and Corbyn is in chaos, 20 points behind in the polls. The election of Corbyn two years ago as Labour leader put labour out of government for a generation. look at his front bench. its a complete joke. - I've never voted Tory in my life but only one party shines at the moment and that's the Tory party under the strong leadership of Theresa May. - trouble is we still have people living 30 years in the past going on about Thatcher. **** Thatcher its 2017 time as moved on deal with the landscape today.

Listen to The Prime Ministers speech.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

you don't understand, where are you getting your information. The current majority the government has is unworkable, they have a majority of 8. this election is called to give them between 80 to 100 majority. see the difference. 

Labour and Corbyn is in chaos, 20 points behind in the polls. The election of Corbyn two years ago as Labour leader put labour out of government for a generation. look at his front bench. its a complete joke. - I've never voted Tory in my life but only one party shines at the moment and that's the Tory party under the strong leadership of Theresa May. - trouble is we still have people living 30 years in the past going on about Thatcher. **** Thatcher its 2017 time as moved on deal with the landscape today.

Listen to The Prime Ministers speech.

Okay so if May is looking to strengthen her brexit hand... why is Corbyn looking to oblige her? what May is doing, IMO is pre-empting a Labour party spill that might replace unelectable Corbyn with a pro-EU leader so she can increase her power. Brexit cannot be revoked. But a soft brexit with a chance for readmission at a latter date is do-able. If May manages to bury Corbyn at such a critical time then who cares what any sympathetic Labour EU politician after Corbyn thinks about brexit May is brilliant! And Labour dumb for allowing her to gain an extra 100 seats at their expense. by not making the election about brexit. This election has nothing to do with brexit... if it did then May would lose.  

Edited by Captain Risky

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay so if May is looking to strengthen her brexit hand... why is Corbyn looking to oblige her? what May is doing, IMO is pre-empting a Labour party spill that might replace unelectable Corbyn with a pro-EU leader so she can increase her power. Brexit cannot be revoked. But a soft brexit with a chance for readmission at a latter date is do-able. If May manages to bury Corbyn at such a critical time then who cares what any sympathetic Labour EU politician after Corbyn thinks about brexit May is brilliant! And Labour dumb for allowing her to gain an extra 100 seats at their expense. 

Corbyn is fighting this election to be prime minister. how is he obliging her?

please keep up. - Soft Brexit doesn't exist. - remaining part of the single market is soft brexit, the article 50 letter from the UK states we do not seek to remain part of the single market and the EU have said we cannot remain in the single market without accepting the EU's four pillars.