Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The death of free speech

and-then

19 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I don't know if it's true that masked people are almost always violent, and would need proof.  I know that in Vietnam I would never go anywhere near a demonstration, but of course that is a very different government -- however, I do know that there are what you call "red-necks" who identify participants in demonstrations and later "deal" with them in the States too, so that banning masks in effect denies such people their right to free speech and assembly.

You mention the KKK, and that point is a strong one.  It just shows me that to have a free state one sometimes has to allow freedom to the "baddies."

Like I said, they still can exercise their rights of free speech and peaceable assembly. Wearing masks has nothing to do with either right, and not wearing masks will not abridge those rights. The May Day riots (proof of my claim) show why it's wise to enforce this law after so much violence by so many people. Varied American riots (more proof of my claim), which can be found on You Tube, also show the need for this approach that makes sure that *all* people can participate in protests without fear of attacks from unhinged Marxists in masks.

2 hours ago, Yamato said:

Spoken like someone who's never been banned before for defending human rights in Palestine.   :rolleyes:

LMAO.  I'd love to see what madness you posted to get banned yammie.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Lol I was just wondering the same thing. I'm going to guess and_then was on the other side of it

• Like 1

I assume this is antifa. Not sure but this is certainly a staple of these left wing protests. What are your thoughts on this video? I can't condone the driver but I can't condemn it either. Sooner or later you screw with the wrong person when you go out and mess with people's lives. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I assume this is antifa. Not sure but this is certainly a staple of these left wing protests. What are your thoughts on this video? I can't condone the driver but I can't condemn it either. Sooner or later you screw with the wrong person when you go out and mess with people's lives. 

My opinion? It made my night, thanks for that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

My opinion? It made my night, thanks for that.

Same here.

It may have been AntiFu, BLM or some other Black Bloc gang of terrorists, its all the same evil crap. 

If I  ever see any of them pulling that in front of me, I'll do the same thing.

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

Why do you assume without fact checking? Classic fake news - there's a lot of it about from both sides isn't there?

That video's from a protest in Brazil. The truck driving by in the background with Portuguese writing on it could have been a bit of a giveaway that this wasn't America.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

Why do you assume without fact checking? Classic fake news - there's a lot of it about from both sides isn't there?

That video's from a protest in Brazil. The truck driving by in the background with Portuguese writing on it could have been a bit of a giveaway that this wasn't America.

Yea well the video is about 1"X1.5" on my phone. Sorry I didn't observe every detail but the point remains. Protesters are doing the same stupid stuff here which can cause dangerous reactions. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Keep the protests peaceful and focused. Stop disrupting everybody's lives. They do themselves no favors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Okay, thanks :) I thought they were synomonous.

They are synonymous.  You just said free speech is one thing but not the other.  The point is that "reactions to speech from non-govt sources" can be relevant to our freedom of speech.   A recent example would be the military funeral protesters which resulted in a battle between two private parties, between the speech and the reaction to it.

4 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Yeah, me too!

45 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Yea well the video is about 1"X1.5" on my phone. Sorry I didn't observe every detail but the point remains. Protesters are doing the same stupid stuff here which can cause dangerous reactions. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Keep the protests peaceful and focused. Stop disrupting everybody's lives. They do themselves no favors.

Not really. You wrote that it's a "staple of these left wing protests". You have no idea what they're protesting. Judging by the comments you weren't the only person fooled by it.

BTW the driver has been charged with attempted murder.

More states are making it illegal to block the roads during protests because of the recent uproars. People will be allowed to use reasonable force if they are in fear for their lives. 

Street protests are all too common these days and blocking traffic has become one of the favorite methods of public protest. If you, as a motorist, round a corner and find yourself in the middle of a protest march, or if protestors suddenly surround your car, you need to take action quickly.

Dave Young, founder and director of Arma Training, stresses that immediate action is important, but such action requires forethought and a thorough understanding of the laws of self-defense in your state.

“Most state’s self-defense laws allow you to use reasonable force to defend yourself and your family, but you may not use deadly force unless you are facing an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm,” Young said. “Some prosecutors could see using your car to drive away from a protest as using force, even deadly force. So the first thing you must do is assess the threat level.”

cont...

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/protestors-surround-car/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Almighty Evan said:

No edits to correct the statements that have since been proven FALSE?

Apparently only leftist thugs have "freedom of speech".

The ends justify the means, as long as one is fighting the E.V.I.L. "right wing nuts".

Isn't it great that local police stand down for the rioting leftists?

No, there's a one hour time limit on edits of posts. 

9 hours ago, aztek said:

you have free speech as long as you do not matter, and have nothing solid to back up your speech, 

a joe shmo can speak about anything he wants, no one will waste time on him, someone who is known, and has some real info, will be dealt with, not outright for speaking, but for thousands other reasons, they'll find one, if not, they'll make one up. plant drus  in a car\house, or CP on computer

I think you're pretty much right there. Any ordinary Joe can say what ever they want about the Government because they (the Government) know that they'll never be taken seriously enough to be any threat to them. Anyone who might have any influence, then watch the media wind themselves up and let themselves go smearing and attacking and slandering them. And they can make life very difficult for ordinary people who they decide to persecute in all sorts of subtle ways; the police can start taking an interest in them on all sorts of pretexts (they may suddenly find they're committing an awful lot of motoring offences); they might find themselves on a list for Enhanced Screening whenever they want to fly anywhere, and so on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F3SS said:

I'm sure I've seen people waving black flags like that before ...

Image result for isis

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

(above)

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

6 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Not really. You wrote that it's a "staple of these left wing protests". You have no idea what they're protesting. Judging by the comments you weren't the only person fooled by it.

BTW the driver has been charged with attempted murder.

As they should be. But yes I don't know what they are protesting but blocking traffic is a staple a left wing protests and this video highlights how stupid that can be. It doesn't matter where it is or what they are protesting. They're doing something we see very often here and the point remains.

• Like 1

This looks like America. I don't know but again it doesn't matter. It's obviously a stupid practice that people are becoming fed up with. 

14 hours ago, Yamato said:

"Apparently only leftists have freedom of speech" sounds exactly like what Ann Coulter would say, and I'll guess probably just did say.  

Hahahahahahaha, yes, of course. Leftists get to define what free speech is for everyone, and then claim anyone who disagrees with that is merely citing a "right wing nut".

Ye olde failed strawman "argument", as weak as they all are, but understandable, as the leftists' god for the past eight years loves to do that, too.

Antifa's -- Anti-First Amendmenters. Berkeley is the perfect place to birth the end of free speech, to benefit America's domestic enemies.

13 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

No, there's a one hour time limit on edits of posts. 

Ah, thanks.

19 hours ago, Arbenol said:

That's a good catch, but it doesn't matter if such things take place on my street or the lunar surface. They should arrest people who block traffic. For instance, seconds matter when there are emergencies (police cars, fire engines, ambulances, etc.). These road-blocking stunts are more examples of malignant selfishness.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's a good catch, but it doesn't matter if such things take place on my street or the lunar surface. They should arrest people who block traffic. For instance, seconds matter when there are emergencies (police cars, fire engines, ambulances, etc.). These road-blocking stunts are more examples of malignant selfishness.

I agree. 

My only point in responding was to point out that it wasn't America. The speed with which people jump onto something, make assumptions and malign whole groups of people is what is slowly but very surely driving your country down.

We see it on these boards all the time (and, in truth, you're as guilty as anyone of this). Stereotyping all Trump supporters as fascists, and the converse stereotyping of liberals as the 'real' fascists. How many times have you alluded to "typical liberals" when a group of them does something stupid or dangerous. I don't think they are liberals in any sense of the word. They're anarchists. And the same people that protest and riot during the liberal government of the past few years, eg may day riots, occupy wall street, etc......

Most of those students will be voting Republican in 20 years, anyhow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Lol I was just wondering the same thing. I'm going to guess and_then was on the other side of it

If I was (I'm sure it's a possibility) I was never made aware of it.  In the very early days here I felt like I had a huge target on my back where Israel was concerned.  It wasn't just Yam, either.  He was just the most hysterical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

If I was (I'm sure it's a possibility) I was never made aware of it.  In the very early days here I felt like I had a huge target on my back where Israel was concerned.  It wasn't just Yam, either.  He was just the most hysterical.

I don't know if we're talking about the same early days, but I remember reading plenty of back and forth when it came to Israel! Lol we're all friends here...Mostly :rolleyes:

• Like 1