Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think of paranormal investigaters?

Sariegn

The reason I made this topic is because thats my hobby in the summer. I wonder what people think of us, Strange? Intresting? Or just crazy? Its not that we are bored and fearless, i get scared to death by ghosts. I cant stand to look at them but i still search. I like this hobby because death doesn't bother me, and i have a abnormal feeling when the ghosts are near me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sariegn

• aquatus1

• lee77

• regmanabq

Top Posters In This Topic

Very generally speaking, I do not feel they have a firm grasp of either investigative technique or scientific methodology. The great majority have a tendency to approach any given scenario having with the intent of confirming that a supernatural/paranatural phenomena occured, rather than attempting to confirm that it occured in the first place.

This is not to say that there aren't some who are worthy of the name investiagtor, and even researcher. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, and tend not to make the news as much as the more sensational, yet less worthy, do.

I think its cool that people do investigate these things...no matter how they do it or if they ever find anything. Let us know if anything comes up this summer!

If you have any questions about them i can try to answer. So far i have been able to answer every question, of course i gave my best response unless there are some secrets even humankind cant know.

The thing i hate about ghosts is they arent predictable... so i dont know when they will deside to show up. I rarely find any in the summer but i figure out them as i go.

I actualy came in contact, with a ghost before, a very strong one that tryed to kill me. Thats one reason why thay scare me. But when i am able to travel around the world to solve and learn everything there is to know.... well either i will be protected from the ghosts or in more trouble with them...

Edited by Sariegn

I wish i had people like you around sometimes...i have never but have know many people close to me see ghosts...i think you guys are cool except the fake wanna-be ones.

i have a advice for you...be mentally strong and physicallt strong they will have a much harder time "hurting you". i think?????

It's cool that it's your hobby. I'm picking it up also. Ghosts do scare me but I'm still interested and capturing them on film, in pictures, or EVP's makes it all worth it. I think paranormal investigation should be taken more seriously, and people that take part in it should be more investigative and research it well, I think it's a field that deserves that.

Good advice, the only thing that saved me was my balance, oh and the standing lamp that i fell back into that kept me up... Guess i only have my luck to fend them off. The ghost that almost killed me caught me be surprize by wrapping its deathly cold hands around my ankles and tried to pull me under the fuseball table... My friend i was playing said my face was funny to watch because she never seen me scared before. Well there was that one time were a cricket i was staring at jumped up and i screamed... but thats off topic. The worste about the ghost is i saw it under the table... it looked absolutely human! Even the long black hair was defined perfectly as it laced across the concrete floor.

I hate my friends basement... and i think ghosts hate me...

It's cool that it's your hobby. I'm picking it up also. Ghosts do scare me but I'm still interested and capturing them on film, in pictures, or EVP's makes it all worth it. I think paranormal investigation should be taken more seriously, and people that take part in it should be more investigative and research it well, I think it's a field that deserves that.

433991[/snapback]

The thing is i dont have to do much reaserch... i just know... I can tell their story if they let me. Some are realy sad. crying.gif

The thing is i dont have to do much reaserch... i just know... I can tell their story if they let me. Some are realy sad. crying.gif

And with that little line, any possible credibility you might have had as a researcher or investigator goes right out the window.

See, the thing is, you can't lump all "investigators" together. You have to look at each individually to judge how objective they are and how well their methods hold up.

I've always felt that there are two separate branches of those who become involved in the paranormal. There are "Spiritualists" and "parapsychologists". "Spiritualism" is a religion. If I find myself in the company of Spiritualists, I will treat them with the same respect for their faith that I would treat any religious group. I don't believe they need to do anything to support their beliefs because they *are* beliefs. At the same time, they have to understand that their non-scientific methods cannot be used to *prove* anything to anyone.

Parapsychology is a science and is subject to the same laws and demands of any other science. The available evidence must be evaluated and tested, hypotheses formulated, and then these hypotheses tested. If anything, the work of parapsychologists is MORE scientifically demanding than the more traditional disciplines.

The problems arise when people confuse the two. I won't say that your statement eliminates any credibility you may have, but it does place you firmly in the Spiritualist camp, rather than the Parapsychologist camp.

IMO.

hmm.gif I am not into any religious beleifs or anything like that, i figure that they are all connected with what the people want to beleive. Very intresting that there are two kinds of investigaters.

^^ actualy i figured out that the Marry who gave birth to the 'son of god' might not even have been a vergin. That amazed me that something so minor as a miss communication of the word vergin could change religous beliefs... Vergin could also meen beautiful. Well i only have faith in what i find out, cant trust what people say even about ghosts.

I wish people would stop making fake ghost pictures... thats annoying...

Hey maybe when i get some pictures of the ghosts that linger around my room i can show you guys. Theres been this middle aged man who just stares at me... he gets on my nerves but i think he left a few days ago. I have a few stories about ghosts i investigated... i am moving to Arizona where there is more ghost sightings, and aliens, in a year. I cant wait! Well i could talk your ears off but its best if i stop now. ^^'

And with that little line, any possible credibility you might have had as a researcher or investigator goes right out the window.

434021[/snapback]

'kay then, you think what you want. I dont expect everyone to beleive me, heck i'm only 14. happy.gif

No disrepect but your info says your 14 years old. How much investigating can you do? You can't even drive, much less have the equipment to investigate the para normal.

I do reaserch on the computer, but i reaserch by where ever i am. I go down to a old private beach every summer and many ghost sightings are there. My equipment is a camera and a few friends who dont mind walking around the lifeless dirt roads next to the abandoned cottages at night. We arent proffesionals and all my friends are idiots about the paranormal but i do figure out the info on the ghouls. My room is haunted my friends basement has a dead witch, i live in the perfect place to investiigate. I dont do anything scientific but in my few years on earth i have been able to take pictures of a few ghosts and other so called fantasy creatures. If i still had them i would put the images pon the internet. I even got a photo of a small winged human standing with a shield next to a candle. I dont take fake pictures and only give what i beleive to be the facts.

I do reaserch on the computer, but i reaserch by where ever i am. I go down to a old private beach every summer and many ghost sightings are there. My equipment is a camera and a few friends who dont mind walking around the lifeless dirt roads next to the abandoned cottages at night. We arent proffesionals and all my friends are idiots about the paranormal but i do figure out the info on the ghouls. My room is haunted my friends basement has a dead witch, i live in the perfect place to investiigate. I dont do anything scientific but in my few years on earth i have been able to take pictures of a few ghosts and other so called fantasy creatures. If i still had them i would put the images pon the internet. I even got a photo of a small winged human standing with a shield next to a candle. I dont take fake pictures and only give what i beleive to be the facts.

Off topic: Your info says you have a malamute! isn't that a wolf half huskey if i am right! those are my favorite type of canine! Lucky!  w00t.gif

434985[/snapback]

Thanks for clarifying. Good luck and have fun.

Sorry! i didn't meen to quote myself... i still have to get used to the way the site works..

'kay then, you think what you want. I dont expect everyone to beleive me, heck i'm only 14. happy.gif

Well, that is a point in your favor then. You are quite correct that I do not believe you, but that is the result from many people of your age coming to this site and claiming extraordinary powers, but being unable to provide any sort of proof (or even a decent definition). I hope you understand that it is nothing personal.

However, my statement still stands, in regards to your credibility. I am a scientist, and as such I have very specific guidelines and methodology that needs to be followed in order to present a finding. This methodology is extremely crucial, for it is the basis of verifiability and credibility. By properly following scientific methodology, I show that I am able to put together a logical argument with imperical evidence, and when such a study is presented, the scientific community has no choice but to treat it as they would any other study. This is not to say the scientific community has to automatically agree with my findings, or even pronounce them correct, but, assuming that none of my evidence or conclusions are faulty, they must agree that it is credible.

I encourage you, then, to learn what you can about proper research and scientific methodology. It is crucial for investigation, no matter which kind, and absolutely irreplaceable in regards to credibility. While I do not believe in such things as ghosts or mediums, I am willing to give you any assistance in learning how to sep up proper tests and research to verify wether your findings can be considered credible.

Incidentaly, a proper foundation in scientific methodology can only help you in regards to academic pursuits. I hope you will give its study consideration. Good luck.

So-called “paranormal investigators” are wasting their time. Ghosts are supernatural, therefore, the laws of science do not apply. Accordingly, they cannot be investigated and there is no way to prove their existence.

When questioned about the absurdity of their quest, paranormal investigators inevitable make vague references to “energy.” I’ve heard them talk about how ghosts “drain” batteries and “draw energy” from electrical appliances, etc. Could anything be more ridiculous? Ghosts were around--and much more prevalent--before the invention of batteries or the discovery of electricity. What did they “draw energy” from back then?

So-called “paranormal investigators” are wasting their time. Ghosts are supernatural, therefore, the laws of science do not apply. Accordingly, they cannot be investigated and there is no way to prove their existence.

I don't think its wasting time at all.

I think capturing somthing extroidanarily unusual on camera is very worth while. It has been done before(supposidly or why would anyone waste their time), but I guess closed minded people choose just to ignore the evidence. rolleyes.gif

However I am sure that captured evidence has made many nonbelievers believers and that in my opinion is worth while.

And remember science cant prove everything. Look at religion.

Anyway I dont think you should tell someone that their career is a waste. Its what they like to do and its not hurting anyone.

Just a thought.

Something extraordinary on film? Ghosts have very rarely been captured on film and when they were, it was accidental or by people who were simply visiting a haunted site, not by so-called "ghost-hunters" with a lot of fancy gadgets.

You also say science "can't prove religion." This is absurd. Religion is a fact. It is the existence of god that cannot be proven because God, like ghosts, is supernatural.

Since when is "ghost-hunting" a career? Yes, con artists like Dave Oester and Sharon Gill of the IGHS call themselves "ghost-hunters" and make a living by preying on the gullible, but they are nothing more than a couple of uneducated buffoons with mail-order "degrees," who know absolutely nothing about the paranormal--or anything else for that matter.

There is also a vast difference between those with an interest in ghosts and "ghost-hunters." Those with an interest in the paranormal may visit haunted locations, take photos, write about hauntings, etc., but they do not sit around for hours with cameras and meters, and go on about "energy," etc. because they have better sense. Almost everyone likes true ghost stories and authors who write about ghosts, unlike "ghost-hunters," aren't branded kooks.

Additionally, the so-called "ghost-hunters" with their gadgetry and preposterous ideas have made it difficult for authors, film-makers, etc. to obtain information about, and/or visit, haunted locations. I conduct research for "ghost" specials aired on the Discovery Channel, TLC, the History Channel, etc. and almost every time I contact people at a reputedly haunted lighthouse or other location about filming, I am asked, "You're not with that bunch of orb-chasers, are you?" or something similar.

I have always had an interest in the paranormal, but the so-called "ghost-hunters," with their pseudoscience and cockamamie gadgets, are well on their way to making ghosts a boring subject.

So-called “paranormal investigators” are wasting their time.  Ghosts are supernatural, therefore, the laws of science do not apply.  Accordingly, they cannot be investigated and there is no way to prove their existence.

435653[/snapback]

Hate to sound sarcastic, but I think it's the only way to respond.

What like other impossible things like:

Nuclear Energy, Quantum Physics, passing the speed of light, electricity, cure for polio, telephones, computers and micro-electronics, going to the moon, heck, everyone knew the world was flat at one time and even the center of the universe.

Everything in the universe is governed by some laws. Sure, we may not know what they are, but that does not mean they are not true. Everything is provable.

As for investigators, I have to agree with most of the posts so far. I find the one's I've met to be very kind and pleasant people willing to explain themselves and help a new guy understand their theories and practices. Would these be the type of people classified as "geeks" by the rest of the world, yes, but that's ok, I'm classified that way quite often too. Good company.

But I do say that many of them do not have a firm grasp of scientific method or good research skills and may not even be aware of anyone elses research. I can't blame them though, since there is no real school you can go to and learn ghost hunting and without those sweet grants it is hard to fund any training or even research while holding down a regular job too. Some courses are available, yes, but nothing like even the lamest formal scientific training.

But, Ben Franklin invented a lot and he was no modern scientist nor was Mr. Bell. Many of the greatest discoveries have been made by a hobbyist in his garage, so they also are in good company.

I am amazed though, at how resistent many ghost hunters are to formal training or any kind of certification. Many just say, "it's experience and I don't need some fancy paper to show I'm a good ghost hunter". There is a good Topic at Ghost Study about this. They do have a point though, how does one get certified if there is no one certified to do the certification?

Do I think they are crazy. NO. Neither do I think Franklin, Bell or even Chris Columbus was crazy, just reaching for the unknown.

People fear what they do not know so they label those who try and find out "crazy" so they don't feel so bad not bothering to learn the truth themselves.

Sign this Future Ghost Hunter who is definitely not crazy! (But I still think it might all be a time travel thing, so I'm not sure it's ghosts anyway!)

Do not forget, science has shown and explained the existance of many 'supernatural' phenomena before. Lightning, plagues, anything that used to be thought of as a punishment from God, or at least bad luck, has an explanation; the question is, however, is the explanation going to be something that is already part of the known scientific world, or is it something that needs to be addedd to the communal information data base. It is entirely possible that new forces of Earth are waiting to be discovered in the fields of paranormal and supernatural, however, none of these discoveries will ever be taken seriously unless they are presented following all the rules and requirements of scientific methodology. It is no excuse to claim that these things cannot be proven; if you wish to be considered a scientist, then proving it is precisely what you are setting out to do. Anybody can claim anything they want, but only scientists and researchers have the credibility and validity to back it up.

regmanabq, “Cockamamie gadgets” include any and all equipment used by ghost-hunters to “prove” the existence of ghosts. None of these items can be applied to investigation of the supernatural because the supernatural CANNOT be investigated.

Now, how about telling me how ghosts “drain” batteries and “draw energy” from electrical devices?

Nuclear energy, quantum physics, exceeding the speed of light, etc., etc. are not paranormal and may be investigated scientifically. On the other hand, the supernatural, which is neither physical nor material, cannot be explained according to natural laws.

I’m sure Ben Franklin and Alexander Graham Bell would not appreciate being thrown into the same category as two charlatans like Dave Oester and Sharon Gill.

You claim the reason people refer to “ghost-hunters” as kooks is because “they fear what they do not know.” This is untrue. In fact, I would say it is those who fear the paranormal the least who are most likely to dismiss “ghost-hunters” as kooks.

Edited by lee77