Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

France goes to the polls


bee
 Share

Recommended Posts

.

This is a close contest and I don't think anyone can call it at the moment -

Although Marine Le Pen and Emmanuel Macron are both expected to do well -

It is said that one in three voters haven't made their minds up yet so the world watches as not just
the political direction of France begins to be decided - but the fate of the EU - 

 

There are 11 candidates in the running for Sunday’s first round, including a pair of Trotskyists, three fringe nationalists, a former shepherd, and a man who wants to colonise Mars.

But there are just four who stand a chance of getting through to the run-off on May 7: Ms Le Pen, Mr Macron, the communist-backed firebrand Jean-Luc-Mélenchon, and the scandal-scarred conservative François Fillon.

The pair who will square off for the second round will be known at around 7 pm UK time when usually accurate exit polls are announced.

One of the last opinion polls before campaigning was brought to an early halt by the killing of the policeman in Paris showed that Ms Le Pen and Mr Macron were tied on 23 per cent, with both Mr Mélenchon on 19.5 per cent and Mr Fillon on 19 per cent snapping at their heels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/23/france-goes-polls-marine-le-pen-emmanuel-macron-leading-race/

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that if the French decide on a new leader that welcomes more uncontrolled immigration, France's future is set.  It will be very instructive to watch the course they take.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard or read somewhere in the French Canadian media that support for right leaning candidates are often underestimated and overrated for left leaning ones.

So expect the vote for Le Pen and Fillon to come stronger than announced and those for Mélenchon and Macron to be weaker.

I also heard that if Macron make it the second round, he is expected to win against any of the other three. Although there's still a month to go before that, things can change.

Edit: Let me add an article from Die Spiegel
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/french-presidential-election-a-battle-of-left-right-extremes-a-1143745.html

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

France has elections on Saturday?

Good idea, why can't we do that!?!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AnchorSteam said:

France has elections on Saturday?

Good idea, why can't we do that!?!

.

It's Sunday here...... :P

.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What time do the French polls close? i think its 8pm. UK time.

Edited by stevewinn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's official now, it will be Le Pen vs Macron. The nightmare of Le Pen and Mélenchon didn't materialize, fortunately.

Edit: the participation rate was about 70%, a good score for the last 40 years.

Edited by Gingitsune
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gingitsune said:

It's official now, it will be Le Pen vs Macron. The nightmare of Le Pen and Mélenchon didn't materialize, fortunately.

Edit: the participation rate was about 70%, a good score for the last 40 years.

It's not official yet... counting in the larger cities still continues. You are simply quoting latest update from the French Interior Ministry here:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what I get for taking mainstream media's word for it... :innocent:

Edit: although Macron is already celebrating his victory in a restaurant of Montparnasse, and have already made his first tour victory speech.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

That's what I get for taking mainstream media's word for it... :innocent:

Edit: although Macron is already celebrating his victory in a restaurant of Montparnasse, and have already made his first tour victory speech.

Me too  ... but didn't feel entirely confident in what has been quite biased reporting by the media (BBC in this case). Its actually getting closer for the top 2 but Macron and le Penn are several percentage points ahead of third place (Fillon). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm watching "Figaro live", so their info are more up-to-date than BBC. They are probably biased in their own French way, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try this one - it is the Official  Interior Ministry site in France. Official Site

Refresh your browser for the latest calculations. As far as I can tell there are still some 20% of the votes to be counted. What I find shocking is the support for Fillon; he represents everything wrong in the French political system today

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

.

Well the results are pretty much as predicted -

Final decision and 2nd round voting on May 7th --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/23/french-election-live-results-exit-polls/

Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen will fight for the French presidency after the country's two main parties crashed out of the first round for the first time since the founding of the Fifth Republic in 1958.

In a seismic shift in French politics, final results put Mr Macron, an independent centrist, top on 23.75 per cent, with Ms Le Pen, the far-Right Front National leader, just behind on 21.53 per cent.

Conservative François Fillon, dubbed the "Thatcherite" candidate, was eliminated on 19.91 per cent, with revolutionary Leftist Jean-Luc Mélenchon coming fourth on on 19.64 percent, the Interior

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.

We all know that polls can be wrong but it is being predicted that Macron will win at around 60% ish -

I hope there aren't any shenanigans with the vote count because there is a LOT riding on this election -
A hell of a lot - like the future of France and the EU - and if Le Pen pulls it off it would be a huge
set back for the Globalists and their social engineering -

so they are not going to go down without a fight --- maybe a dirty fight -

I have got more of a handle on Emmanuel Macron now and my verdict at the moment is that he is a
Globalist Puppet - that was brought in a year ago and financed / promoted because it was looking like
France could go Populist -

I watched him closely last night and there is a weakness about him and a bit of a crafty look in his eye.. :D

He has nearly pulled it off for his globalist masters../.. cohorts....?....he will be richly rewarded if he goes all
the way and saves the EU and the Globalist Agenda - 

I know that sounds dramatic but it really is essentially a re-run of Brexit and Trump politically --- with the two sides
polarized into nationalist and globalist -

 

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Macron

 quotes from the link --

Quote

"Macron has been described by some observers as a social liberal and by others as a social democrat. During his time in the French Socialist Party, he supported the party's right wing, whose political stance has been associated with "third way" policies advanced by Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and Gerhard Schröder, and whose leading spokesman has been former prime minister Manuel Valls."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"He says France needs a more "balanced" policy toward Syria, including talks with Bashar Assad.[49] However on April 2017, Macron proposed possible military intervention against Assad regime"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Unlike many French Socialists, including former Prime Minister Manuel Valls, Macron supports the open-door policy toward immigrants and refugees pursued by Angela Merkel in Germany and promotes tolerance towards immigrants and Muslims. Macron has expressed confidence in France's ability to absorb more immigrants and welcomes their arrival into Europe, asserting that the influx will have a positive economic impact."

 

 

Edited by bee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bee said:

I know that sounds dramatic but it really is essentially a re-run of Brexit and Trump politically --- with the two sides

polarized into nationalist and globalist -

Probably a more appropriate way to look at it, in reference to the UK, is Labour and the Tories falling out of the picture, and the Liberals and UKIP facing off to rule the nation.

It looks like Macron will win at the moment, as the other candidates fall in line to back him against Le Pen. I don't see anything other than another major terrorist incident on French soil changing the outcome.

Tough times ahead for France I'd say. Despite Macron's promises of a new type of politics, the consensus seems to be that he'll pretty much follow on in the same vein as Hollande, and we all know how well that has been going.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is one month to go before the second pool, so a lot can happen to favor any candidate. That being said, I really don't see Le Pen going any further than that. Her program is full of wishful thinking, that whatever they say the consequences will be, it's lies, there will be only good consequence. You don't win over a majority of French people with that kind of reasoning. It will probably Macron, faute de mieux, unless he really do some major mistake.

Plus there is no electoral college in France, you can't win the presidency if you don't have the majority of votes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only 2 weeks away Gingitsune and if Le Penn can win over the 19% that voted for Melanchon (a Eurosceptic), and maybe convince the almost 1 million people who posted blank or ruined voting papers to vote for her, then she will still be in the running.

I do not trust Macron's political credentials and there seems to be a dense impenetrable fog surrounding his donors and benefactors.

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, keithisco said:

It's only 2 weeks away Gingitsune and if Le Penn can win over the 19% that voted for Melanchon (a Eurosceptic), and maybe convince the almost 1 million people who posted blank or ruined voting papers to vote for her, then she will still be in the running.

I do not trust Macron's political credentials and there seems to be a dense impenetrable fog surrounding his donors and benefactors

.

re the bolded above...
 

clues to that are in the wiki link about him --
 

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Macron

"Macron was in 2012 a Young Leader with the French-American Foundation, a pro-American organisation founded in the 1970s by two US members of the Council on Foreign Relations."

 

that was only 5 years ago and regarding the French-American Foundation --


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French-American_Foundation

"Young Leaders alumni include prominent Americans such as President Bill Clinton, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Senators Evan Bayh and Bill Bradley, General Wesley Clark, former White House Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten, former World Bank President Robert Zoellick, Oscar-winning filmmaker Charles Ferguson, and business leaders Frank Herringer (Transamerica Corporation) and John Thain (CIT Group)."

 

What's the betting that the French_American Foundation and the Council on Foreign Relations and maybe George Soros
are bank rolling his pro EU campaign --

 

(((ps @Ellapennella ---- note General Wesley Clark in the quote above....)))

edit to add --- I put that because me and ella have had occasion to look a bit more closely at Wesley Clark
in the last couple of days... :) 

.

Edited by bee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2017 at 2:52 AM, bee said:

.

This is a close contest and I don't think anyone can call it at the moment -

Although Marine Le Pen and Emmanuel Macron are both expected to do well -

It is said that one in three voters haven't made their minds up yet so the world watches as not just
the political direction of France begins to be decided - but the fate of the EU - 

 

 

 

Marie Le Pen will be France's first woman President.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, keithisco said:

Macron v Le Penn televised debate on 3rd May - this could be decisive.

.

Thanks - definitely want to watch that - 

I missed Le Pen speaking after the results but caught Macron - and he was reading from a script...
at least most of the time I think --

Marine is a very experienced strong speaker - so when he goes unscripted Macron may struggle...?

.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bee said:

.

re the bolded above...
 

clues to that are in the wiki link about him --
 

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Macron

"Macron was in 2012 a Young Leader with the French-American Foundation, a pro-American organisation founded in the 1970s by two US members of the Council on Foreign Relations."

 

that was only 5 years ago and regarding the French-American Foundation --


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French-American_Foundation

"Young Leaders alumni include prominent Americans such as President Bill Clinton, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Senators Evan Bayh and Bill Bradley, General Wesley Clark, former White House Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten, former World Bank President Robert Zoellick, Oscar-winning filmmaker Charles Ferguson, and business leaders Frank Herringer (Transamerica Corporation) and John Thain (CIT Group)."

 

What's the betting that the French_American Foundation and the Council on Foreign Relations and maybe George Soros
are bank rolling his pro EU campaign --

 

(((ps @Ellapennella ---- note General Wesley Clark in the quote above....)))


.

 

.

I used to think that he was one of the good guys, I don't think that way about him anymore. I hope I don't say the same about Trump too one day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's amazing that Marie Le Pen survived a bomb blast in her home when she was I think 8. Who was behind that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.