Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shroud of Turin coins reignites debate

Still Waters

In an interview with RCF Liège, the numismatist Agostino Sferrazza addressed the old question on the coins that cover the eyes of the Man of the Shroud. According to his conclusions, these pieces must have been coined in the days of Pontius Pilate, circa the year 29. This could constitute an additional proof of the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin.

http://aleteia.org/2017/04/26/shroud-of-turin-coins-may-finally-have-been-identified/

• Like 4

I have heard and read a lot about the shroud but this is the first I have heard of these coins. This would be evidence in favor of the shroud's antiquity.

What would prove it to me is if they could actually make out and read the mint year of '29' on the coin. <joke>

• Like 1

The coins, if their identification is granted, would provide a bound on the earliest date for the shroud taking on their image (terminus post quem, as the cool kids say), not a bound the latest date (terminus ante quem).

You can see examples of the candidate coins at

https://www.facebook.com/rcfgodstalents/videos/1301113936632125/

The spoken track of the short video is in French... he says what the OP article says he says. The point of the link is not what he says, but to see examples of what the fuss is about.

If he can hold two examples in his hand today, then somebody else must have been able to get a hold of examples anytime from 29 CE on. Like the Fourteenth Century, for example.

Anyway, at least the Shroud image wouldn't be too old to be Jesus'. I guess that's something.

• Like 6

They also found John 20:29 on the lips of the shroud image.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to agree with Eight Bits. The age of the coins proves nothing about the age of the Shroud. 

I can buy 2000 year old Roman coins, go bury them in the Mojave desert, and then arrange to have someone find them. And they don't prove that Romans visited the Mojave 2000 years ago.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3