Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police investigate mysterious 'cat shaver'

UM-Bot

If you guys think that's bad, one or two years ago there were a few cases of pets being caught and skinned in my town :rofl:

It's probably some dumb kids who think it's funny. It's not. It's future serial killer behavior. I hope the next cat they try to shave scratches their eyes out.

Never allow your cat outside.  It's a fact that it can reduce their lifespan by quite a lot.

I

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Never allow your cat outside.  It's a fact that it can reduce their lifespan by quite a lot.

I

Not to mention they devastate the local small animal population.  Especially birds.  Cats are a very dangerous introduced species and have been known to bring native fauna to the brink of extinction or actually caused extinction of entire species.  They have caused or contributed to the extinction of 33 island bird species.  Australia is reeling from the decimated native species due to feral cats. If you must have a cat for a pet please keep them indoors or in an outdoor enclosed play area and spay or neuter them.  

• Like 3

This hand full of bandicutes   ( baby bandicootes )    says  ;

"  Thank you Totah Dine  ! " 

Image result for Baby bandicoots

Cat food;

indoor.png

NOT  cat food ! ; 

w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Totah Dine said:

Not to mention they devastate the local small animal population.  Especially birds.  Cats are a very dangerous introduced species and have been known to bring native fauna to the brink of extinction or actually caused extinction of entire species.  They have caused or contributed to the extinction of 33 island bird species.  Australia is reeling from the decimated native species due to feral cats. If you must have a cat for a pet please keep them indoors or in an outdoor enclosed play area and spay or neuter them.  

What a massive generalisation. You can't possibly apply this to all cats.

Cats don't become feral just because they're primarily outside. Cats become feral from neglect and bad ownership, leading them to turn to more self-sufficient ways of living (eventually becoming feral in the process). I personally owned a cat for 10 years while I was in Australia and not once did I have any issues with her, she was a beautiful short-haired black cat who always came home for her dinner. I kept her indoors when night fell to prevent her from getting hurt and let her out every day at the crack of dawn. As long as the cat has good owners they will primarily not turn feral as they will not feel the need to.

The point I agree on is that feral cats have turned into pests and they do endanger the local species, especially back home in Aus. But to say that all cats should therefore be kept isolated is definitely not the best course of action.

Edit: The only animal she brought home was a grasshopper, two times in the 10 years I had her. She loved to chase things, but as soon as she'd get within a meter of whatever she was chasing she would get bored and find something else to do.

Edited by Unfortunately

12 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Cats don't become feral just because they're primarily outside. Cats become feral from neglect and bad ownership, leading them to turn to more self-sufficient ways of living (eventually becoming feral in the process). I personally owned a cat for 10 years while I was in Australia and not once did I have any issues with her, she was a beautiful short-haired black cat who always came home for her dinner. I kept her indoors when night fell to prevent her from getting hurt and let her out every day at the crack of dawn. As long as the cat has good owners they will primarily not turn feral as they will not feel the need to.

The point I agree on is that feral cats have turned into pests and they do endanger the local species, especially back home in Aus. But to say they should be kept isolated is definitely not the best solution.

First of all, I can apply this to ALL cats because ALL cats are predators and will respond to prey behavior.  That is in their nature.  It's instinctual.  Plus cats don't always just kill for food.  How many stories have you heard over the years of cats presenting their owners with "presents" such as insects, lizards, rodents, birds, small marsupials, etc. etc., ad infinitum.  

You had that cat for ten years and for those ten years you let it outdoors and I guaran-damn-tee you it had its fair share of kills under it's collar.  A cat doesn't have to be feral to kill.  They do it just because they're cats.  I know you may take umbrage to this but truth is truth.  

Feral cats are feral because they were abandoned or an owner was careless and let a pet get pregnant because no spaying or neutering.  But feral cats aren't the only issue.  Domestic cats are just as devastating when the owners allow them free reign.   

You don't have to take my word for any of this.  Do the research yourself.  What you find will be quite eye opening.  Don't get me wrong here.  I love cats.  No, I ADORE cats.  I have had several Siamese through the years that were descended from my very first cat.  We kept her in the house at all times and had a play area attached to a window where she could enjoy the outdoors without enjoying the outdoor wildlife.  We decided on this the first time she came home with a blue-tailed lizard in its mouth.  There was no way in Hell we were going to let that happen again.  

Edited by Totah Dine
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

I can !  

" They devastate the local small animal population.  Especially birds."    All cats do this , here in the country where I live and also in urban area and suburbia.  Unless one  looks after them as T D suggests , they will do this . 

Cats are a very dangerous introduced species and have been known to bring native fauna to the brink of extinction or actually caused extinction of entire species. "

Cats have  done this here . Of course that does not mean that every cat has done this . But cats that are not contained have done this here .

They have caused or contributed to the extinction of 33 island bird species.  Australia is reeling from the decimated native species due to feral cats. "

THis is true - cats have done this , unless controlled.

" If you must have a cat for a pet please keep them indoors or in an outdoor enclosed play area and spay or neuter them.   "

Pretty clear here ... of course he isnt saying every cat in the world has done this .

Use your nut !

No cat owner I know will admit to little Tiddles being a wildlife killer ... when they can . 

The point I agree on is that feral cats have turned into pests and they do endanger the local species, especially back home in Aus. But to say that all cats should therefore be kept isolated is definitely not the best course of action.

You need to see latest recommendations on how to keep a cat .

Edit: The only animal she brought home was a grasshopper, two times in the 10 years I had her. She loved to chase things, but as soon as she'd get within a meter of whatever she was chasing she would get bored and find something else to do.

.... that you know about .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Totah Dine said:

First of all, I can apply this to ALL cats because ALL cats are predators and will respond to prey behavior.  That is in their nature.  It's instinctual.  Plus cats don't always just kill for food.  How many stories have you heard over the years of cats presenting their owners with "presents" such as insects, lizards, rodents, birds, small marsupials, etc. etc., ad infinitum.  

You had that cat for ten years and for those ten years you let it outdoors and I guaran-damn-tee you it had its fair share of kills under it's collar.  A cat doesn't have to be feral to kill.  They do it just because they're cats.  I know you may take umbrage to this but truth is truth.  

Feral cats are feral because they were abandoned or an owner was careless and let a pet get pregnant because no spaying or neutering.  But feral cats aren't the only issue.  Domestic cats are just as devastating when the owners allow them free reign.   

You don't have to take my word for any of this.  Do the research yourself.  What you find will be quite eye opening.  Don't get me wrong here.  I love cats.  No, I ADORE cats.  I have had several Siamese through the years that were descended from my very first cat.  We kept her in the house at all times and had a play area attached to a window where she could enjoy the outdoors without enjoying the outdoor wildlife.  We decided on this the first time she came home with a blue-tailed lizard in its mouth.  There was no way in Hell we were going to let that happen again.  

I can definitely understand where you're coming from as there are many cats out there that kill things and bring them home. But the fact you cannot apply this to all cats is still truth. Saying that is similar to saying that all humans will eventually be destructive as destruction is inherent in our nature, this is proven to not be true (although it is only a minority that this statement doesn't apply to).

I'm not disagreeing with the fact outside cats are primarily dangerous to native fauna. I'm disagreeing with the statement that 'all' outside cats are dangerous, as there is no definitive way to prove that 100% of cats are like this. If I had left my cat out for days at a time then she most likely would have killed things on a regular basis and turned feral, as per the usual. But the fact she was only outside for the daytime and came home every night shows that she was still domesticated as she was sticking to a routine set by me, her owner.

Look, all I was trying to point out was that you cannot definitively say that 100% of outside cats are inherently going to turn feral as that is a very close-minded and impossible to prove statement. That was all. Clearly I've got you a bit worked up and for that I apologise.

10 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Pretty clear here ... of course he isnt saying every cat in the world has done this .

Actually yes, he was. That's what I was having issue with. He was saying that every outside cat does this, no exceptions.

Edited by Unfortunately

Again, I apologise for getting anyone worked up over something like that. Wasn't my intention.

We all have our own opinions.

Back to the point though: Someone who shaves cats like that should seriously be caught and mentally evaluated, as someone said actions like that can lead to serial-killer tendencies in the future. Pretty sorry state of affairs this.

Edited by Unfortunately
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Unfortunately said:

I can definitely understand where you're coming from as there are many cats out there that kill things and bring them home. But the fact you cannot apply this to all cats is still truth. Saying that is similar to saying that all humans will eventually be destructive as destruction is inherent in our nature, this is proven to not be true (although it is only a minority that this statement doesn't apply to).

comparing cat behavior to human behavior is a bit of a stretch don't you think?  Apples to Oranges?   I mean, really?

I'm not disagreeing with the fact outside cats are primarily dangerous to native fauna. I'm disagreeing with the statement that 'all' outside cats are dangerous, as there is no definitive way to prove that 100% of cats are like this. If I had left my cat out for days at a time then she most likely would have killed things on a regular basis and turned feral, as per the usual. But the fact she was only outside for the daytime and came home every night shows that she was still domesticated as she was sticking to a routine set by me, her owner.

I  don't know what routine has to do with anything?  Given a chance a cat will respond to prey behavior.  It will use deadly force.  Doesn't matter how sweet or gentle the cat is or how punctual it is.  They Kill.  ALL CATS KILL. 

Look, all I was trying to point out was that you cannot definitively say that 100% of outside cats are inherently going to turn feral as that is a very close-minded and impossible to prove statement. That was all. Clearly I've got you a bit worked up and for that I apologise.

That was your chesnut.  I never said anything about all cats turning feral.  I'm saying all cats kill.  Even Fluffers or Socks.  Doesn't matter.  They're killers.  Every single one of them. 

8 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Actually yes, he was. That's what I was having issue with. He was saying that every outside cat does this, no exceptions.

Actually I wasn't.  I'm saying that given the opportunity every cat will choose to kill prey.  it's not evil or a flaw.  it's part of their nature.  it's how evolution designed them. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Totah Dine said:

We'll have to agree to disagree as we both have different experiences that cannot be validated.

I related this to humans because we have an inherent nature that still applies and we are also animals, our level of intelligence has nothing to do with this.

As we are entirely off-topic I wont be continuing this argument as people might want to post about the cat-shaving thing. Although I do appreciate the debate ^_^, it's been interesting, hope I haven't upset you and that you have a good day.

Edited by Unfortunately

Why would I be upset?  It's a discussion.  People have them all the time.  

As to human's and cat. Can't be compared.  We have higher brain functions that allow us to create moral codes, ideologies and make choices about how we act on our behavior.   But each to his own.  What I find a bit frustrating is people who pass on incorrect information that only adds to the problem.  My information isn't only from experience but information I've gleaned over the years from reports and statistics on reduced native fauna populations.  I was especially concerned over the Bald Eagle populations in the 60's and 70's when their numbers were declining.  Eagles are very sacred to us and the thought of losing them forever was terrifying.  We almost lost them because of our stupidity and abuse of the environment.  

I implore cat owners to keep them indoors and spay/neuter them.  Just because you feed them regularly and give them a routine doesn't mean they won't kill. They will.  

• Like 3

Calling this "serial killer behavior" is a bit dramatic. The cats aren't being harmed - it's belly hair. Maybe it's somebody with a naked cat belly fetish, or they're making a cat hair dummy to cuddle and belly hair is the softest.

I say that as an indoor cat owner who has caught its fair share of mice - violently. Cats are indeed killers by design, they're carnivores FFS. "NOT MY CAT" - yes, given the proper circumstances, your cat too.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moonman said:

Calling this "serial killer behavior" is a bit dramatic. The cats aren't being harmed - it's belly hair. Maybe it's somebody with a naked cat belly fetish, or they're making a cat hair dummy to cuddle and belly hair is the softest.

I say that as an indoor cat owner who has caught its fair share of mice - violently. Cats are indeed killers by design, they're carnivores FFS. "NOT MY CAT" - yes, given the proper circumstances, your cat too.

Actually it's pretty well known that serial killers start out by torturing/killing animals, and how are these cats not being harmed? They may be alright physically, but probably psychologically scarred for life. In this instance it's probably just a prank, but you never know.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Unfortunately said:

But a cat outside WILL do this .  You arent understanding as you defending your cat .      My point is every single cat in the world may not have done this .... some may be fat lazy b******* that hardly move ...  or too old .   You missed my point .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Totah Dine said:

Actually I wasn't.  I'm saying that given the opportunity every cat will choose to kill prey.  it's not evil or a flaw.  it's part of their nature.  it's how evolution designed them. 

Thats how I understood what you wrote .   But someone seems offended that you might be  suggesting  their cat  could go feral ... which they seem to think would reflect badly on their past treatment / ownership of their cat . 

No .   Its the cat , like you say, its in their nature.   Same with dogs ; remove the human association and they soon be running in a pack like wolves and become a  danger .    Its a problem here at the moment ... some of the damage done to livestock is horrible .

Image result for wild dog poison sign

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Future ghost said:

Actually it's pretty well known that serial killers start out by torturing/killing animals, and how are these cats not being harmed? They may be alright physically, but probably psychologically scarred for life. In this instance it's probably just a prank, but you never know.

I know that, but I don't think shaving them counts as torture. Who's to say they even hate it?

As for it being "psychologically scarring" to get belly shaved, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Maybe someone is capturing them and shaving them to see if they've been spayed or neutered. 

My cats have always been inside cats. I have "inherited" an outside cat from a neighbor that up and moved and didn't take their cat. In less than a year (and before I could catch her) she had a few litters of kittens. I found homes for all and had her spayed. If I hadn't we would have hundreds of cats roaming my neighborhood.