Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Hawking: 'we must leave Earth before 2117'

44 posts in this topic

OverSword

Will the real Stephen Hawking please stand up.

• Like 6

Goodf3llow

|

8c3a8c91e5ee54b920f5065ed1f04b75.jpg

Edited by Goodf3llow
weaksauce site wont embedd gifs
  • Like 2

Echoes

Maybe it would be better for the Universe if Humanity did get wiped out by a asteroid, rather than moving to Mars and doing the same to it as we did to Earth.

• Like 1

Aftermath

"Although the chance of disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low, it adds up over time," he said back in November, while noting that "we should have spread out into space and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race."

I think he's losing it.  A chance of disaster ... adds up over time, sure - but in a hundred years we could be smack-dab in the middle of world peace and prosperity.  It could go either way in my mind.  He also suggests "we should have" - like there was a choice and we selected not "have to spread out into space and to other stars" but went for human destruction?  I believe our scientist, NASA, et al. are working hard to get us to other planets as soon as they can ... it's not like they're right 'round the corner.

:no:

Dude should just stick to black holes.

• Like 6

switchopens
13 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

"Although the chance of disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low, it adds up over time," he said back in November, while noting that "we should have spread out into space and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race."

I think he's losing it.  A chance of disaster ... adds up over time, sure - but in a hundred years we could be smack-dab in the middle of world peace and prosperity.  It could go either way in my mind.  He also suggests "we should have" - like there was a choice and we selected not "have to spread out into space and to other stars" but went for human destruction?  I believe our scientist, NASA, et al. are working hard to get us to other planets as soon as they can ... it's not like they're right 'round the corner.

:no:

Dude should just stick to black holes.

First off, if NASA had the funding such as that put into war, people could be skiing on Titan right now.
It is naive to think that we could  have peace when we decide that bronze aged documents take precedence over science and reason. 
As technology progresses, the probability of a single catastrophic event perpetuated  by a small group of radical individuals is not only possible, it is imminent.
Although I have questioned if Hawking has actually died years ago and his wheelchair is actually runaway AI, I think he is spot on with his assumption; human ignorance/arrogance is a constant.

• Like 3

Matt221

Think we ought take a our chance and stay here instead of b*****ing up another planet

• Like 2

OverSword
53 minutes ago, Atomical said:

Maybe it would be better for the Universe if Humanity did get wiped out by a asteroid, rather than moving to Mars and doing the same to it as we did to Earth.

Yeah, because Mars is such a garden paradise, we would probably render it uninhabitable. :huh:

Do you hear yourself?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

UFOwatcher

I'm afraid Hawking may be loosing it.

• Like 1

Princess Serenity

I'm not the only one who thinks Hawkings might be losing it. I don't believe everything has says anyway. He's not the only "scientist" in the world. 

• Like 1

Aftermath
1 hour ago, switchopens said:

First off, if NASA had the funding such as that put into war, people could be skiing on Titan right now.

You have no idea if that would be remotely correct, speculation and opinion.  It's a tired argument ... in reality, the funds would have been dedicated to education, medicare, social security, infrastructure, and numerous other things before funding NASA.

It is naive to think that we could  have peace when we decide that bronze aged documents take precedence over science and reason. 
As technology progresses, the probability of a single catastrophic event perpetuated  by a small group of radical individuals is not only possible, it is imminent.

I was playing off the probability of earthly disaster ... the devastation Hawking is talking about is just as probable as world peace.  I reiterate, "in my mind", i.e., my opinion.  I don't think it as naive, rather just low probability.

Although I have questioned if Hawking has actually died years ago and his wheelchair is actually runaway AI, I think he is spot on with his assumption; human ignorance/arrogance is a constant.

We had a thread topic on that (i.e., if Hawking has actually died years ago) a while ago.  It was shut-down ... but I thought it was a legitimate discussion, concern.  And as to him being "spot on", hardly.

• Like 1

seeder

Our bodies etc are MADE for life on Earth

and Hawking, while indeed a smart chap.....can ONLY speculate....just like anyone.....he cannot see the future any more than you and I

articles like this are just over sensationalised and a means to promote his books and documentaries.... space travel is too difficult and costly to move any substantial numbers of people anywhere in space.  Sometimes, despite his name and creds.... I think the guy is way off the mark.... even he knows earth like planets with a similar gravity and breathable atmosphere are simply not close by....and thats if we could find one 'just right'.....we will always be limited by huge distances in space between us and any other habitable planet.

Even if there was an earth 2 someplace....only a handful will ever make it and MAYBE able to live there. But it just seems like sci-fi claptrap if you ask me

• Like 2

seeder
3 hours ago, switchopens said:

Breathing methane and nitrogen?

TaintlessMetals

I find it hard to believe that so many of us want to live in denial ecspecially considering this sites content and usually insightful group. The human race is absolutely guaranteed to go extinct if we do not propagate the known universe, and relative to how long we've been around, very quickly. The point is we have no idea how long it will be until another devastating disaster could potentially plague our little planet. The only people that would deny this reality are the same people that refuse to accept our finite resources that are diminishing at an alarming rate, while our ability to replace our scarcely few renewable resources is being diminished by our own by products. There is no question of what will happen if we never colonize other worlds, the only question is how our end will come about if we do not because the possibilities are nearly limitless. And, yes increased funding to NASA would obviously put us closer to that goal. We wouldnt have nearly the technological developement we are currently at without NASA, this is also why the technology sector has been practically stagnant for several decades, and we only recieved it due to the duress instigated from the cold war.

• Like 1

kartikg
10 hours ago, Atomical said:

Maybe it would be better for the Universe if Humanit. y did get wiped out by a asteroid, rather than moving to Mars and doing the same to it as we did to Earth.

It wouldn't matter much for universe if we made both earth and Mars uninhabitable. 

kobolds

Human beings like cockroaches are remarkably resilient .

good luck in wipe them out :D

• Like 1

highdesert50

A civilization's success might be measured by its ability to sustain itself over time. We likely have a narrow window of time over which we could establish a sustainable presence on an Earth-like planet, e.g. Mars. The rationale is simply economics. As we continue to overpopulate we have to focus more resources on sustaining this planet thereby diminishing opportunity to establish an outpost, or civilization elsewhere. Catastrophic events such as wars, pandemics, and global warming further narrow this window of opportunity. The question Prof Hawking poses is do we wish to survive as an advancing civilization.

• Like 1

switchopens
20 hours ago, seeder said:

Breathing methane and nitrogen?

...really?

Trihalo42

We have the technology, it's just not available to the general public. They don't teach people in college how to enrich uranium to weapons grade material the same as they don't teach people how to use mercury vortex torsion fields to create hyperspace "stargates". The former could mean people creating nuclear detonations in their backyards "just to see what happens", and the latter could result in a city block disappearing into deep space for the same reason. And Zero Point Energy poses the same threat as several other free energy devices in that destroying the oil trade would bankrupt certain countries that rely heavily on oil sales and might push them into one last desperate war with everything they have left. Even in Star Trek the Prime Directive warns against giving advanced technology to a primitive civilization. Releasing that technology to the general public would be like giving a hand grenade to a monkey.

• Like 1

TaintlessMetals
1 hour ago, Trihalo42 said:

We have the technology, it's just not available to the general public. They don't teach people in college how to enrich uranium to weapons grade material the same as they don't teach people how to use mercury vortex torsion fields to create hyperspace "stargates". The former could mean people creating nuclear detonations in their backyards "just to see what happens", and the latter could result in a city block disappearing into deep space for the same reason. And Zero Point Energy poses the same threat as several other free energy devices in that destroying the oil trade would bankrupt certain countries that rely heavily on oil sales and might push them into one last desperate war with everything they have left. Even in Star Trek the Prime Directive warns against giving advanced technology to a primitive civilization. Releasing that technology to the general public would be like giving a hand grenade to a monkey.

There is always a risk in any revolutionary advancement, the question is if the reward is worth the possible negative outcomes. Without advancements our world, our species will perish, this is an inevitability. With this realization one would postulate that the "greater good" would be to except these inherent risks if only to allow even an infinitesimal possibility for the continuetity of our species. To not do this, is to except our failure without even making an attempt.

quiXilver

Sounds tome like he's getting old and starting to view the world through the lense of his own withering.

It's natural, only for him, his version of it is a little more in depth and potent than some moderately educated old duffer who sits on his porch screaming at the neighborhood kids to "stop throwing mud at my house!!! bah, the world is going to hell in a hand basket!"

• Like 2

SirDrake

Often I wonder if Earth is a purgatory and if we are destined to remain here to redeem ourselves until our soul evolves and we can reincarnate on a better planet, if so, then our technological advances will always be stopped before we can colonize another planet, in a kind of endless cycle, if so, it's cruel, from one way or another, I believe we are doing everything wrong, we should first evolve spiritually, not technologically, and then try to colonize other planets, not populated obviously, I think we should first focus on our own planet, get the paradise on Earth, love all the beings and claim ourselves as a peaceful race, only then, maybe we can break the

quiXilver

or if there's an energetic web of energy that traps your consciousness and forces it to re-incarnate here when you would otherwise naturally move on...

or that...

could be that...

godnodog
On 5/3/2017 at 7:05 PM, Atomical said:

Well, maybe doing to Mars what we, SADLY, are doing to Earth is a good thing, but true I get your point.

• Like 1

Summerin1905

we can't just abandon it we have to fix it. If we do that then its pretty much the same for every other planet that we inhabit. It will just be an endless cycle. We got into this mess and now its our responsibility to fix it. thats just common sense.

• Like 1