Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking: 'we must leave Earth before 2117'

UM-Bot

such a definitive date... it reminds me of the folks who've looked through the bible and used math formulas to predict when the rapture will occur...

how odd to lump Mr Hawking in with that other mode of thinking... but then again, we are all human and have human thoughts...

more similarities than differences in the end...

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, UM-Bot said:

Professor Stephen Hawking is making a documentary about humanity's need to colonize other worlds.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/307253/hawking-we-must-leave-earth-before-2117

Lets grant each of the 7 billion people alive a one metre square to stand in then. If you dont know how small an area that is then you could cram everybody on the planet into Suffolk and Norfolk, England, with room for another 2 billion. Now I gave this fact for effect and to make a point - THE WORLD IS NOT, IS ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE NEAR, OVERPOPULATED. The morons claiming we are really have no idea how vastly unpopulated this planet is. They think the population density if England, or Holland, or the North Eastern Seaboard in the USA, or similar, represents the population density around the rest of the planet. It does not.

Next the world is not running out of farmable land or resources. Look at Google Earth. 97.5% of the planet is untouched wilderness. We might well run out of oil but so? We adapt, we dont limit our growth or go into a panic over us over using the Earth. We research and development new technologies and new fuel sources.

There is room on this planet for a sustainable 250 billion people using existing technology.

On ‎5‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, Trihalo42 said:

We have the technology, it's just not available to the general public. They don't teach people in college how to enrich uranium to weapons grade material the same as they don't teach people how to use mercury vortex torsion fields to create hyperspace "stargates". The former could mean people creating nuclear detonations in their backyards "just to see what happens", and the latter could result in a city block disappearing into deep space for the same reason. And Zero Point Energy poses the same threat as several other free energy devices in that destroying the oil trade would bankrupt certain countries that rely heavily on oil sales and might push them into one last desperate war with everything they have left. Even in Star Trek the Prime Directive warns against giving advanced technology to a primitive civilization. Releasing that technology to the general public would be like giving a hand grenade to a monkey.

This isn't the Writer's and Artist's Hangout.

• Like 2

If we embrace our fate and face death like real men/women, then there really is nothing to worry about.

I'm amazed he would fall for that kind of thinking which I had thought was discredited back in the 1970s.  Maybe I just don't get it.  Well I'll be dead by then anyway.

It's curious isn't it?  A mind of his caliber... but in the end, no matter how brilliant he is, he still has a human mind and the process of growing old does exert an influence on cognition... makes certain things extrapolate and others diminish...  this is just how he's reacting as he begins to embrace his end game.  Curious to note the changes coming on in my own process as I pass the mid-point in (what I assume) is my life span...

I wonder how my cognition and world view will shift, if I manage to get to my 70's, 80's or beyond...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Lets grant each of the 7 billion people alive a one metre square to stand in then. If you dont know how small an area that is then you could cram everybody on the planet into Suffolk and Norfolk, England, with room for another 2 billion. Now I gave this fact for effect and to make a point - THE WORLD IS NOT, IS ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE NEAR, OVERPOPULATED. The morons claiming we are really have no idea how vastly unpopulated this planet is. They think the population density if England, or Holland, or the North Eastern Seaboard in the USA, or similar, represents the population density around the rest of the planet. It does not.

Next the world is not running out of farmable land or resources. Look at Google Earth. 97.5% of the planet is untouched wilderness. We might well run out of oil but so? We adapt, we dont limit our growth or go into a panic over us over using the Earth. We research and development new technologies and new fuel sources.

There is room on this planet for a sustainable 250 billion people using existing technology.

Uh oh - you're contradicting the "new world order" agenda ... everyone look away, move along.

Rabid, you should know better than to use facts, logic, reason, and common sense ... shame on you!  What you said about oil ... my GOD man ... it borders on sedition.

People, please, back to your panicking ... go on, back to it.

OK, well I hope I didn't lay-on the sarcasm too much there.  I appreciate what you wrote and I agree.  I really don't think people understand just how BIG the earth really is and how ingenious we are, especially when our backs are against the wall.  If we face a real issue of over population, perhaps in a thousand or so years, I'm sure our human ingenuity will come up with some sort of solution (e.g., water and/or moon colonies, man-made islands, technology to turn desert into farmable land) to mitigate it.

• Like 2

Sure the Earth can house a larger population but nature has a way of dealing with this.

There are strains mutating as I write this..we are constantly adapting our vaccines yet by doing so the virus adapts as well

will it catch up eventually?... it has before

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-11-billion-people-mean-disease-outbreaks/

• Like 1

The biggest danger I see (I don't know if Hawking mentioned it) is the evolution of a new highly infectious, highly deadly agent with a period of several days to weeks before symptoms -- spread worldwide by the airlines and then killing everyone.  This could happen and may even be likely.

The usual bugaboos -- running out of resources, exhausting the land, global warming, are all problems that need more attention than they are getting but there is time on our side, and awareness will grow (the first one, resources, if just not gonna happen).  I guess it is possible something the scientists have not detected could cause a runaway greenhouse effect and turn the Earth into a Venus.

I think it is a good idea to plant humans in other systems, but we need to do it as the technology becomes cheaper, safer and we need to realize that these humans will be so far away they will evolve into other species -- there won't be enough interbreeding with us absent some special setup -- so that is not an effective way to prevent our extinction.

Yes! Don't solve problems, run from them! Fantastic advice. Hawking, do us all a favor and buy the first ticket, thanks.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, UM-Bot said:

Professor Stephen Hawking is making a documentary about humanity's need to colonize other worlds.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/307253/hawking-we-must-leave-earth-before-2117

Like everyone else, I think he`s afraid of a big asteroid hitting our earth again, and maybe we better scoot :) l

A comet coming in behind the sun for a dead hit would do us in.  There is no asteroid big enough to do that -- and they have all had their orbits well calculated.

Consider the earth is 8,000 miles in radius in an orbit of 23,000,000 miles radius.  That makes the volume of space (V=4/3pi r^3) an unbelievably large number (note that you include the cube of 23 million),  That makes our planet an incredibly small target -- the rate of comets coming in behind the sun is not known since it hasn't ever happened, but it has to have an occurrence frequency in the trillions of years (far longer than the age of the universe).

With other comets, it could happen that we don't see it in time, but we would have a warning of at least a year.  I think it would be averted (besides, here too we present a similarly small target).

When he says "we", does he mean all humans or just the select few. And are there going to be enough spacesuits for every human being are is the going to be mass fighting of people trying to board the spacecraft, dragging off the "select" few and crushing each other in the process. 

It takes years of training for men to go into space, so what chance is there these people will not be going :

12132777_1643542012584029_1472661944_n.j

10fattestpeople-7.jpg~c200

the-10-favorite-cars-of-americas-senior-

22.-Stephen-Hawking-7177539-630x630.jpg

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

When he says "we", does he mean all humans or just the select few. And are there going to be enough spacesuits for every human being are is the going to be mass fighting of people trying to board the spacecraft, dragging off the "select" few and crushing each other in the process. 

It takes years of training for men to go into space, so what chance is there these people will not be going :

12132777_1643542012584029_1472661944_n.j

10fattestpeople-7.jpg~c200

the-10-favorite-cars-of-americas-senior-

22.-Stephen-Hawking-7177539-630x630.jpg

Some compassion is called for in the pictures you post and the context in which you post them.

9 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Some compassion is called for in the pictures you post and the context in which you post them.

The same compassion which would be shown if a selection was being made as to who would be boarding the spacecraft?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

The same compassion which would be shown if a selection was being made as to who would be boarding the spacecraft?  

which hits the nail right on the head!  :tu:

why bother loading old people, or the seriously overweight, or the seriously sick....you dont want space faring hospital ships do you..... carrying the old and sick....to potentially settle on a new planet?

NO!   Youd want the younger ones, healthier ones

Even the young fitter ones will suffer the consequences of long term space travel....as the space station astronauts suffer, to a degree.....which includes a whole range of ailments

It affects bone density/mass, turns muscles to jelly, it also affects vision, and blood flow....plus a whole stack of other things..... Space travel can ONLY be for the fit and healthy

Do read:

and

Blow to Mars missions as researchers find spaceflight 'dramatically' slows the oxygen in astronaut's blood

Astronauts aboard the International Space Station have decreased fitness
    This is because of a decrease in the way oxygen moves in blood vessels
    Their exercise capacity decreases between 30 and 50 per cent, which is significant because they have to perform physically demanding tasks in space
    The research is key to planning for future long-duration flights, and it could help in understanding blood vessel function in the elderly or people with heart failure
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4493554/Spaceflight-decreases-astronauts-physical-fitness.html#ixzz4gkvW22GJ

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I don't think a trip in a single human generation to anything that might be habitable is feasible.  Maybe a multi-generation trip or some sort of SF mumbo-jumbo like hibernation.

A better course might be to load the DNA and similar things and then depend on automated mechanisms to restore the people.  Of course that is SF mumbo-jumbo too at this stage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I don't think a trip in a single human generation to anything that might be habitable is feasible.  Maybe a multi-generation trip or some sort of SF mumbo-jumbo like hibernation.

A better course might be to load the DNA and similar things and then depend on automated mechanisms to restore the people.  Of course that is SF mumbo-jumbo too at this stage

I do not think it is feasible either. Humans have evolved on this planet over the centuries = in accordance to where they are on this planet, and we are still evolving, as well a creating new "races" by mixing races. I can not possibly see how people or DNA  could be restored -   SF mumbo jumbo) out in space, how could they evolve naturally in a spaceship and there is no planet  or way to reach a planet which is suitable for us to start living on, let alone evolving on.

Other things which could cause some problems out in space, some which people are still trying to find a balance to live with and some, some people will not accept:

Religion

Culture

political preference

dress code

housing preference eg: some will want to be with their families and share the same accommodation, some just want to be on their own

Pets - will people bring their own or will it only be a select few

taste in music

I do not even want to carry on with this mumble jumbo list as it just will not work out there.......with out a select few, and even they are going to have their problems.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Perhaps we could learn from the Monarchs... who take three to five generations to reach their nesting grounds in Mexico.

Not sure how they transmit the knowledge of their nesting grounds through the generations, but I suspect that what we call 'instinct' is merely the ability of other species to recall their ancestors memories... they're simply able to recall what their ancestors experienced and so head straight home, so to speak.

But how to deal with the lack of gravity... or the long term effects of the lack of magnetic resonance and the 7Hz field generated by the earth... or the lack of all the other harmonic resonances that are all constantly cycling through our energetic matrix... not sure how those will be reconciled for long term space life/travel...

• Like 2