Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"That's very interesting, Steve"

acute

Abortion is illegal in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, and the Isle of Man.

In 1996, Osama Bin Laden came within minutes of killing President Bill Clinton on a bridge near Manila, Philippines.

The motorcade was diverted, the bomb was found, and it was big enough to blow the whole bridge sky-high.

The much loved "Fifty Shade of Grey" series of comedy novels originated as a piece of Twilight, I think, or was it Harry Potter, fanfiction. 

In York it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.(Except on Sundays)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt221 said:

In York it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.(Except on Sundays)!

I think it's the same in, I think it's Hereford, with the Welsh. 

• Like 2

* In 1953 the United States Government initiated Operation Moolah, which offered a reward of $100,000 for the first North Korean pilot to defect with an example of the MiG-15 jet fighter. The offer was taken up by Lieutenant No Kum Sok, who defected to Seoul in September 1953. It doesn't say whether he get his 100 K, but I'm sure he did. The U.S. govt. is always trustworthy. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 2

Over 12.5 million tonnes of paper and cardboard are used in the UK per year. Which is the equivalent weight of 260 QE2s (Queen Elizabeth cruise ship).

• Like 2

Today's interesting fact is in the form of a question: Where, today, is Stalingrad? 

5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Today's interesting fact is in the form of a question: Where, today, is Stalingrad? 

Where it's always been.:rolleyes:

It got a new name though: volgograd

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Where it's always been.:rolleyes:

It got a new name though: volgograd

Ah yes, but no. Today, there is still somewhere called Stalingrad. You could get on a train there, but where is it?

The Volgograd city council voted to use the name Stalingrad at city events on six commemorative days including February 2, the day Nazi forces fully surrendered to Soviet troops and May 9, Victory Day, Russian news agencies reported.

4 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Ah yes, but no. Today, there is still somewhere called Stalingrad. You could get on a train there, but where is it?

Did a little digging and you are indeed correct. Wont spoil it though.

7 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Stalingrad is a Paris Métro station on the border between the 10th arrondissement and the 19th arrondissement at the intersection of lines 2, 5, and 7, located at the Place de la Bataille-de-Stalingrad, which is named for the Battle of Stalingrad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(Paris_Métro)

• Like 2

Statistically, you have a better chance of guessing a stranger's phone number than winning the National Lottery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Statistically, you have a better chance of guessing a stranger's phone number than winning the National Lottery.

187 45 62 is it??...or 362 74 91 maybe?..or...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EllJay said:

187 45 62 is it??...or 362 74 91 maybe?..or...

Close!

My phone number is 07555 555555. :yes:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, acute said:

Close!

My phone number is 07555 555555. :yes:

Yeah, that was pretty close.

I'm almost psychic, ain't I.

• Like 1

The dialling* code 555 is usually used in TV and movies, at any rate those made in America, because it doesn't exist, and therefore there was little likelihood of them hitting upon an actual number inadvertantly. 

* or 'dialing', for Americans

• Like 1

According to the 1945 edition of Who’s Who, Hitler’s home phone number was Berlin 11 6191.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

The dialling* code 555 is usually used in TV and movies, at any rate those made in America, because it doesn't exist, and therefore there was little likelihood of them hitting upon an actual number inadvertantly. 

* or 'dialing', for Americans

It makes me chuckle when I'm watching a deadly serious Hollywood movie, and they come out with a 555 phone number.

:lol:

In 1972, Wizzard released a single called Ball Park Incident, with Carlsberg Special on the B-side.
The full title is... The Carlsberg Special (Pianos Demolished Phone 021 373 4472).

021 is the old Birmingham (UK) dialling code.  Today, the number would be 0121 373 4472.
I have often been tempted to phone it.

(You can skip the first 20 seconds)

• Like 1

Related trivia...

Multi-talented musician, Roy Wood, could pretty much play any instrument you could throw at him!

From Wikipedia:

Instruments played by Wood on his various albums include guitar, bass, cello, flute, sitar, saxophones, clarinet, recorder, oboe, bassoon, drums, percussion, bagpipes, French horn, crumhorn, double bass and keyboards.

Edited by acute
...and Slide Guitar!

10 hours ago, acute said:

I'm gonna call it.  No, it wouldn't be right.  What if it's a Piano Demolisher?  It could be a premium-rate sex line.  I can't.  Yeah... go on.  No.
Somebody else will.

"Tempting though isn't it" He said .............. *fingers hovering over the key pad*

• Like 1