Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"That's very interesting, Steve"

acute

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

The Arctic Tern  :) .......... is the greatest migrant in the world, flying farther than any other bird. They migrate from the Arctic to the other side of the globe to winter in the Southern Ocean, probably experiencing more daylight than any other animal.

I got bombarded by these little birds on the farne islands there brave little birds as well if anyone ever gets the chance to go there do it,its amazing

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I got bombarded by these little birds on the farne islands there brave little birds as well if anyone ever gets the chance to go there do it,its amazing

Further down the page that I originally quoted from it says: "They defend their eggs and chicks particularly aggressively, dive-bombing intruders and stabbing bare heads with their  needle-sharp bills" :lol: Good for them, I say!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Further down the page that I originally quoted from it says: "They defend their eggs and chicks particularly aggressively, dive-bombing intruders and stabbing bare heads with their  needle-sharp bills" :lol: Good for them, I say!

Not only that the're a cracking little bird

17201818717.jpg

• Like 3

If you look at Croydon at Gooogle Maps, and switch to Satellite View, the major local attraction that's highlighted before you zoom in is Beddington Sewage Treatment Works. :unsure: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

If you look at Croydon at Gooogle Maps, and switch to Satellite View, the major local attraction that's highlighted before you zoom in is Beddington Sewage Treatment Works. :unsure:

Croydon is 99% sewage!

On 07/02/2018 at 6:08 PM, Matt221 said:

17201818717.jpg

That bird needs to lose some weight!

(like the ones in the G&D)

• Like 2

Not only is that ^ ^ not very interesting, Steve ....... it is blatantly not true! :angry:

• Like 1

The oldest known human footprints outside Africa were found on a beach in Happisburgh, Norfolk, in 2014 - they are over 800,000 years old.

_72796884_img_9442.jpg

_72796878_ancient_footprints_624v2.jpg

• Like 2

It has been calculated that, if the forward guns of HMS Belfast on the Thames at Tower Bridge* were fired at their current bearing and elevation, they would hit London Gateway services on the M1. People who've been to London Gateway services feel that that would be quite a good idea. :hmm: 

* not London Bridge 

• Like 3

The only station on the London Underground or "Choob" with the word "London" actually in its name is London Bridge*.  

* not Tower Bridge

• Like 1

• Did you know the  Permanent Secretary of the Department for International Trade is Antonia Romeo? Antonia Romeo  I can't say I did until today. 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Did you know the Permanent Secretary of the Department for International Trade is Antonia Romeo?

No.  :tu:

*ladies, please leave the room for a moment*

A generous squirt of washing up liquid along your drive (most evenings in the winter) removes dirt and makes a weekend sweep-up/hose-down far easier and quicker.

• Like 2

Last year Ed Sheeran had a massive number two! 

The full name of British singer and songwriter 'Dido'.....

.....is Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong.

• Like 1

Dido's producer & multi-instrumentalist brother, Rollo, is named..... Rowland Constantine O'Malley Armstrong.

The first name of Richard Dawkins, the well known all-purpose expert, is actually Clinton. Clinton Richard Dawkins FRS FRSL (born 26 March 1941) is an English ethologist, evolutionary biologist and author.

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 1

What is believed by some to be the first poem in the English language was written by Caedmon the Swineherd in the 8th century, as I'm sure you know. It goes:

Nu scylun hergan hefaenricaes uard

metudes maecti end his modgidanc .... 

You know the rest, of course. 

• Like 3

'Caedmon' doesn't sound English to me. Surely he was a Welsh swineherd?

• Like 1

He was from Northumbria, I believe. He cared for the animals,I believe, at the double monastery of Streonæshalch during the abbacy of St. Hilda.

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 3

In 1531, the Bishop of Rochester John Fisher upset his cook one day. So the cook, Richard Roose, got his revenge by putting a special herb in the bishop's feast that night.

The herb was supposed to give the guests diarrhoea. Unfortunately, two of the guests got diarrhoea till they died.

The cook was sent to be hanged for murder. But King Henry VIII said: 'No! Hanging is too kind for that villain! I want him boiled alive in his own pot!' And that's what they did. For five years, all because of Richard Roose, the punishment for poisoners in England was to be boiled alive.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

In Britain in 1800 there were almost 250 crimes that carried the death penalty. Crimes for which you could be executed included:

Being in the company of gypsies for a month;

Damaging Westminster Bridge;

Impersonating a Chelsea Pensioner;

Being a child aged 7 to 14 of which there is evidence of "strong malice within them";

Being outside at night with a blackened face;

Stealing from a shipwreck;

Writing a threatening letter;

Pickpocketing;

Destroying turnpike roads;

Stealing from a rabbit warren;

Begging without a licence if you are a soldier or sailor;

Being a woman who has been discovered to have concealed a stillbirth.

This was known as the Bloody Code.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1