Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"That's very interesting, Steve"

acute

The country with the largest French-speaking population isn't in fact the land of garlic and tear gas, but Dr Congo, which has 84 million inhabitants as against 67 million in France proper. 

image.jpeg.31c80b77ff7eea74da5d70439527525b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

The country with the largest French-speaking population isn't in fact the land of garlic and tear gas, but Dr Congo, which has 84 million inhabitants as against 67 million in France proper. 

image.jpeg.31c80b77ff7eea74da5d70439527525b.jpeg

I thought they spoke Belgian ? :unsure2:

36 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I thought they spoke Belgian ? :unsure2:

Belgians speak Dutch, French, or German, depending on their ethnicity.

The NHS website states that there is "little evidence" that cough medicines are effective, but some ingredients can relieve symptoms such as fever and a blocked nose.

Many music critics criticized Queen's single 'Bohemian Rhapsody' when it was released.

Melody Maker magazine said that in releasing Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen “contrived to approximate the demented fury of the Balham Amateur Operatic Society performing The Pirates of Penzance.”

Edited by acute

it's bloody typical innit

• Confused 1

Blondie singer Debbie Harry was born Angela Trimble (in Miami), but she was adopted at three months by Richard and Catherine Harry (in New Jersey) and renamed Deborah Ann Harry.

• Like 1

In 2007, The Honourable Jacob William Rees-Mogg, the Member of Parliament for North East Somerset, married Helena Anne Beatrix Wentworth Fitzwilliam de Chair, the only child of Somerset de Chair and his fourth wife Lady Juliet Tadgell.

The Rees-Moggs have six children:

Peter Theodore Alphege, Mary Anne Charlotte Emma, Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan, Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam, Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius, and Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher.

Edited by acute
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, acute said:

In 2007, The Honourable Jacob William Rees-Mogg, the Member of Parliament for North East Somerset, married Helena Anne Beatrix Wentworth Fitzwilliam de Chair, the only child of Somerset de Chair and his fourth wife Lady Juliet Tadgell.

The Rees-Moggs have six children:

Peter Theodore Alphege, Mary Anne Charlotte Emma, Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan, Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam, Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius, and Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher.

Posh people have nothing better to do than string lists of names together. :hmm:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Posh people have nothing better to do than string lists of names together. :hmm:

Indubitably!

The word "Brexit" was invented by solicitor Peter Wilding for an article he wrote in 2012.

Mr Wilding, 'Brexit Director' at Black Country & Shropshire law firm FBC Manby Bowdler, is named by the Oxford English Dictionary as the first person to use the word.

:o

3 hours ago, acute said:

The word "Brexit" was invented by solicitor Peter Wilding for an article he wrote in 2012.

Mr Wilding, 'Brexit Director' at Black Country & Shropshire law firm FBC Manby Bowdler, is named by the Oxford English Dictionary as the first person to use the word.

I would imagine that Brexit Director is a fairly lucratively remunerated position, and so I imagine he'd be in no hurry to see it done and dusted and put to bed. :unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't mind working for FBC Mandy Bowdler though. I suppose they'd cut out all of the bits that might be offensive to sensitive ears. 

• In 1938 a jazz song "Flat Foot Floogie (with a Floy Floy)" peaked at number two on US charts. The original lyrics was sung with the word "floozie", meaning a sexually promiscuous woman, or a prostitute, but record company Vocalion objected. Hence the word was substituted with the almost similar sounding title word "floogie" in the second recording. The "floy floy" in the title was a slang term for a veneral disease, but that was not widely known back then. In the lyrics it is sung repeatedly "floy-doy", which was widely thought as a nonsense refrain. Since the lyrics were regarded as nonsense the song failed to catch the attention of censors. :unsure: 
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:
  • In 1938 a jazz song "Flat Foot Floogie (with a Floy Floy)" peaked at number two on US charts. The original lyrics was sung with the word "floozie", meaning a sexually promiscuous woman, or a prostitute, but record company Vocalion objected. Hence the word was substituted with the almost similar sounding title word "floogie" in the second recording. The "floy floy" in the title was a slang term for a veneral disease, but that was not widely known back then. In the lyrics it is sung repeatedly "floy-doy", which was widely thought as a nonsense refrain. Since the lyrics were regarded as nonsense the song failed to catch the attention of censors. :unsure: 

It's a good job they didn't try to release 'Smack My b**** Up'.

• Haha 1

* Japan was discovered in 1854 by Commodore Perry from Little Mix.

I think that's right. :unsure: 

8 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

* Japan was discovered in 1854 by Commodore Perry from Little Mix.

I think that's right. :unsure: 

Commodore 'Matthew' Perry. 

This was well before he starred in 'Friends' though.

18 hours ago, acute said:

In 2018, 44 postmen/women were attacked by dogs, but 50 were attacked by cats.

In the UK.

• Like 1

In the 16th century, football (with those heavy pig skins) caused more deaths than sword fighting.

• Like 1

There's never been a better time to buy a Bugatti Veyron! Low mileage, quality used examples can now be obtained from as little as £1.3 million! :) 

• Like 1