Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"That's very interesting, Steve"

acute

Lye Waste, adjacent to the original village of Lye, Worcestershire, was an area of uncultivated common land but it was settled by people who, by building houses including a fireplace within 24 hours by using mud and clay as the main building materials, acquired freehold rights as a result of the Inclosure Acts (from 1604 onwards).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're lying in waste now though, right?

• Haha 1

Prior to the enclosures in England, a portion of the land was categorized as "common" or "waste" or not in use.

"Waste" was land without value as a farm strip – often very narrow areas (typically less than a yard wide) in awkward locations. "Waste" was not officially used by anyone, and thus was often cultivated by landless peasants.

• Like 1

i knew that, and do lament the loss of the commons.

It's an abomination.

• Like 1

Ctrl-alt-delete was invented by IBM in the early 1980s. IBM engineer David Bradley coded a routine for the BIOS of the IBM PC to enable the machine to be quickly rebooted.

He originally planned to use ctrl-alt-esc, but he realized that you could press all three keys just by pressing down on the left-hand side of the keyboard. Ctrl-alt-del fixed that issue; by using keys on both sides of the keyboard, it required the use of two hands.

• Thanks 1

The first 1GB hard disk drive was announced in 1980 which weighed about 550 pounds, and had a price tag of $40,000.

• Haha 1

The character of "Donald Trump" first appeared in 1936 in a series of comedy films starring Abbott & Costello. He was a bumbling but lovable buffoon who believed that the world revolved around him, but no one, least of all his own subordinates, took the slightest notice of. The character was played by some of Hollywood's best loved B movie comedy actors through to the 1950s. The recent revival of the character, played by a hitherto unknown comic actor, rumoured to be funded by Russian studio Putinfilm, was a surprise success, beating the hotly tipped big budget The Return of Clinton, a revival of the horror franchise that was popular in the 1990s, at the box office.

Here's what some of the reviews had to say:

"The feelgood hit of the summer! ~ Münchner Tagblatt.

"I laughed so hard a bit of wee came out" ~ Pyongyang Morning Herald and Auto Trader 

• Haha 2

The word "testify" is based on the Ancient Roman practice of making men swear on their testicles when making a statement in court.

• Like 1

i think you're just making that up, so you can bask in some salacious, gonadal afterglow without any fear of rebuttal, knowing that there are very few Ancient Romans extant to disprove it! 

Ballsy!

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2019 at 11:11 AM, purrrpetrator said:

i think you're just making that up, so you can bask in some salacious, gonadal afterglow without any fear of rebuttal, knowing that there are very few Ancient Romans extant to disprove it! 

Ballsy!

Ballsy matt ...... has a kind a ring to it

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

The late great Kirsty McColl was tasked with sequencing the tracks on U2's album 'Joshua Tree'.

Delighted by the track order, Bono asked how she did it.  She said: "Favourite, second favourite, third favourite....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In “Bohemian Rhapsody”, Freddie Mercury plays on the very same piano used by Paul McCartney in “Hey Jude”.

• Like 1

Guns'n'Roses  lead singer Axel Rose made his name from an anagram of .......oral sex

• Like 2

Mammoths got their name from the Russian 'mammut', or earth mole, as it was believed the animals lived underground and died on contact with light – explaining why they were always found dead and half-buried.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Guns'n'Roses  lead singer Axel Rose made his name from an anagram of .......oral sex

He's added an extra 'e' Suspicious.gif

That's cheating! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That's cheating! 

perhaps he was inspired by as apposed to anagraminng ....if thats even a word

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

perhaps he was inspired by as apposed to anagraminng ....if thats even a word

It is, but it's two 'm's :)

• Like 1

Sometimes it happen that car drivers drive into a shop that has no drive-in counter. There is street in my hometown, the Waitzstrasse, which is a nice little shopping street in the (rich) west of Hamburg.

If feel forced to let the world know whats going on there.:yes:

The Waitzstrasse is the street with the most unconventional drive-ins (UDI) in Germany. Over the past few years, 20 accidents occurred and some with casualties. Meanwhile, the Senate of Hamburg has invested 1.7M€ for barriers on the sidewalks to protect the shops and pedestrians. The matrix is always the same: seniors with automatic gear cars try to park and are mixing up the brake and the throttle. Bang!.

There was a hit last week and yesterday as well. Enjoy: video

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

That's cheating! 

Well spotted, that man! :nw:

• Thanks 1

I look after some children and, again, I realize children are not angels. Neither are humans in general.

Their hypocrisy, their harassing and cruelty at such a young age is so touching. I look forward to seeing them bloom.

Do I?

Oh la la...

• Confused 1

The British eat over 11.5 billion (1,500,000,000) sandwiches every year!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt221 said:

The British eat over 11.5 billion (1,500,000,000) sandwiches every year!!

I'm really sorry for being a pedant again but that's 1.5 billion in those brackets there :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Edited by anton00

On 22/05/2019 at 3:10 AM, Stiff said:

That's cheating! 

Axl Rose doesn't add the extra 'e'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Axl Rose doesn't add the extra 'e'.

Well somebody did hmmm.gif