Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"That's very interesting, Steve"

acute

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

In Manchester...i could believe it.:ph34r:

Well..... It's true.

(It's a 'true trivia' thread)

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

Is this a couple thing or a - one father, 8 mothers thing? 

I was wondering about that too!

3 minutes ago, acute said:

Well..... It's true.

I have met a couple of Wanksy's  in my time, so i will not even question this.

and they were artists...p artists.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, acute said:

Well..... It's true.

(It's a 'true trivia' thread)

I have noticed the filter police have not blanked the Wanksy out. I will check to see it has reached the Oxford dictionary.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The rolling banner on the bottom of news channels were originally animated snakes designed to distract vulnerable watchers from depressing stories, such as the Zeebrugge Ferry and the marriage of Prince Andrew.

The 'Famous Grouse' depicted on the side of the eponymous whisky bottle is actually called 'Funty Mamnoon'.

'Space Seed', the Star Trek episode which first introduced the character of 'Khan' was originally intended to be a two-part story, but was shortened to a single hour due to the incessant bullying of William Shatner by Ricardo Montleban.

In a recent survey by Youguv, 90% of Hipsters thought all other English counties were simply minor suburbs of London. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

The rolling banner on the bottom of news channels were originally animated snakes designed to distract vulnerable watchers from depressing stories, such as the Zeebrugge Ferry and the marriage of Prince Andrew.

:lol: 

The depressing part came just after the honeymoon.

If 33 million people held hands, they could make it all the way around the equator

• Like 1

When Anna Kavan died in 1968, the police who entered her house discovered enough medically-proscribed heroin 'to kill the entire street'.

In 2001, Trevor Baylis was inspired to create the reflective 'cat's eyes' in the center part of British roads after seeing the fibre-optic glasses worn by Orbital during their Glastonbury set. 

In 1971, the FBI were forced to grant Tony Curtis official 'Special Agent' status simply so they could gain access to his extensive library of True Crime books.

The overturned double-decker bus seen at the start of the British comedy film '28 Days Later' is actually an optical illusion. The sense of perspective was created using a plastic toy which director Danny Boyle stole from a tramp. 

Edited by Carlos Allende

On 27/05/2018 at 3:05 PM, acute said:

Texas is on course to overtake California as the most populous state.

1 in 10 babies is born in Texas, and they make up 6 percent of US-born babies.

I wonder how many of the mothers-to-be were smuggled over the border in the back of pickup trucks a few days before giving birth? <_<

Milton Keynes Central station (pictured below) and its plaza were used in the movie Superman IV: The Quest for Peace as a substitute for the United Nations building.

Image result for milton keynes central

• Like 1

^ That Wiki the pedia library picture is quite an old one. Note the yellow Mercedes minibus in the right background, and the blue and white bus I believe is an Arriva Leyland Olympian, which sadly will not be found any more :( 

Cats are amazing creatures because they make us laugh all the time!

In 1939, Hitler's nephew wrote an article called "Why I Hate My Uncle." He went to the U.S., served in the Navy, and settled on Long Island

Edited by Matt221
c*** up
  • Like 1

Abraham Lincoln's dog, Fido, was also assassinated

• Haha 1

Carlisle could claim to be the most cosmopolitan city in Britain in terms of rulers. It was founded as Luguvalium by the Romans; when they left in the early 5th century the Picts took it over; the Vikings were next on the list; and the Scots displaced them. The Normans added Carlisle to their territory after the Conquest; the Scots retook it in the 12th century; and the English got it back later. It even fell to Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745.

There are more hotel beds in Blackpool than in Portugal.

Laid end to end, only 254,000 Blackool Towers (not millions, as you would probably expect) would fit around the equator.

The shortest river in England is the River Bain in North Yorkshire. It is 827ft long.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

Doggerland is the name of a land mass now beneath the southern North Sea that connected Great Britain to continental Europe. This dry-land was flooded by rising sea levels around 6,500–6,200 BC. Geological surveys have suggested that this dry-land stretched from Britain's east coast to the Netherlands and the western coasts of Germany and the peninsula of Jutland . 

z42C4co.jpg

The Age of Doggerland

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doggerland was also the first song on Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)'s excellent album Homo Eraticus - a concept album telling the story of British history :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

Doggerland was also the first song on Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)'s excellent album Homo Eraticus - a concept album telling the story of British history :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EllJay said:

My dad was a keen and avid sailor, and as a sailor he was always interested in the weather, and sea weather-reports - even when he was on land. :rolleyes:

It was a bit of a fixation for him, to always listening to weather reports, regardless if he needed to know the next three days prognosis or not. When we sailed - when I was a kid - we always sailed the very long eastern coastline of Sweden, but never the short west coast of Sweden - and never in the area of Doggers Bank. But I remember, as a kid hearing - when he listened to the weather reports -  they often mentioned the Doggers Banks in it. I had no idea where it was back then. :) 

"- Doggers Banks: Wind Variable, 3 or 4, and increasing winds. Sea State; Smooth or slight. Weather Fog patches. Visibility Moderate or good - and that concludes the weather reports of Doggers Bank...moving on to...."

• Like 2

Sverd i Fell

(English: Swords in Rock)

It's a commemorative monument located in the Hafrsfjord neighborhood of Madla, a borough of the city of Stavanger in Rogaland, Norway.

kFvwlc2.jpg

The monument was created by sculptor Fritz Røed from Bryne and was unveiled by King Olav V of Norway in 1983. The three bronze swords stand 10 metres (33 ft) tall and are planted into the rock of a small hill next to the fjord. They commemorate the historic Battle of Hafrsfjord which by tradition took place there in the year 872, when King Harald Fairhair gathered all of Norway under one crown. The largest sword represents the victorious Harald, and the two smaller swords represent the defeated petty kings. The monument also represents peace, since the swords are planted into solid rock, so they may never be removed.

Khuj4Sv.jpg

It is a kinda bad-ass monument really.

Like three enormous giants just walked up, and rammed each of their swords, down the cliff together.

A troll-version of Excalibur...

• Like 3

The first handheld mobile phone was demonstrated by John F. Mitchell and Martin Cooper of Motorola in 1973, using a handset weighing approximately 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs).

• Like 1

Clubfoot occurs in about one in 1,000 newborns. The condition is less common among the Chinese, and more common among the Maori.

Males are affected about twice as often as females.

• Like 1

In the UK, The House of Commons vs. The House of Lords Pigeon Race has been reinstated on the parliamentary calendar after a break of 90 years.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1