Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are insects and fake meat the future of food?

UM-Bot

Why not? If you think about it, Europeans and European-influenced cultures are pretty much the only people who don't use this perfectly good source of protein.

Just grind them up somehow, so that I don't see their body parts anymore and I'd be happy to eat bugs.

• Like 3

You won't catch me eating bugs, no way, no thank you.

Fake-meat would be slightly better than bugs, but I'm saying no to that too.

• Like 2

Bugs and lab grown meat? Sounds delicious-not! If it can stop the slaughter of livestock for food that would be great, but I'll just stick with eating veggies.:wacko:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Shrimp and Prawns are just insects that live in the sea...

They're actually related to spiders.

12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Shrimp and Prawns are just insects that live in the sea...

They're decapod crustaceans, not insects.

7 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

They're actually related to spiders.

The Crustacea are still more closely related to insects than to arachnids.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Carnivorfox said:

They're decapod crustaceans, not insects.

The Crustacea are still more closely related to insects than to arachnids.

Good, now I can eat shrimp again! Yay!

• Like 2

it will be very very hard to change diet of people, there are reports that even during floods and earthquake of people rejecting the aid food and asking for replacement.

• Like 2

I'd eat a bug. But I'd have to be reeeeeeeally hungry.

• Like 2

I quite like my diet of midnight spiders I eat in my sleep.:lol:

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Soylent Green for everyone.:tu:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

I've been saying for decades we could wipe out hunger and increase health if we incorporate insects, seaweed and algae as staples to our diet.

• Like 3

Bugs are delicious. This is a fact and you are missing out if you do not try them

• Like 1

taste varies wildly just like vegetables... grubs and worms can taste buttery and rich and wonderful

crunchy fantastic grasshoppers and crickets in a lovely vinaigrette sauce... mmm yum

The fake meat seems really really interesting to me. Imagine a burger patty that feels, tastes, and smells like the real thing without any of the bad stuff. All made with vegetable proteins. Super safe, super healthy.

I foresee a future where 90 year old men are berated for not eating their double burgers with bacon, fries and a shake. 

Quite possibly. If we survive, that is.

1 hour ago, Nzo said:

The fake meat seems really really interesting to me. Imagine a burger patty that feels, tastes, and smells like the real thing without any of the bad stuff. All made with vegetable proteins. Super safe, super healthy.

I foresee a future where 90 year old men are berated for not eating their double burgers with bacon, fries and a shake. 

Veggie burgers suck. You're better off making a mushroom burger from a Portobello cap that's been soaked in Worcestershire sauce. Which are freaking awesome.

• Like 2

mmmm portobello.... (insert homer simpson noises)

• Like 2

I was eating fake meat In high school  in the '70s. Good old textured vegetable protein burger patties. Yum, yum.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Veggie burgers suck. You're better off making a mushroom burger from a Portobello cap that's been soaked in Worcestershire sauce. Which are freaking awesome.

I am not talking veggie burgers of the 70s. I am talking Veggie burgers of today and the future. 

For example you would never compare the electric cars or more like electric golf carts of yesterday to a Tesla and the same goes with fake meat.

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

That is what I am talking about. A burger that tastes like a burger but is not made from growing and killing animals. It's made at the molecular level from plant proteins etc. Looks, tastes, smells the same but supposedly a lot better for you. As time goes on I hope it gets so ridiculous that people OPT for fake stuff over the real stuff because it is safer and healthier not to mention cheaper. 

I love soy burgers with a couple small grasshoppers for crunch and some ants for spiciness.  I'm serious, folks, it is good, although I find I want to chop off the grasshopper heads before adding them to the skillet.  Those eyes bother me.  The locals here think that's a funny superstition -- grasshopper heads are just as good as the rest.

• Like 2

I live in southern california, I have to dodge great veggie patties just to get to the beach. 

• Like 1

Bears know the deal, grubs and ants for big Qi... they stock up on ants and ant eggs for their winter sleep.

• Like 2