Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abu Dhabi firm to tow iceberg to the UAE

UM-Bot

I have no real idea about this question; they mention practicality and feasibility regarding harvesting water, but is it really practical/feasible to tow sizeble icebergs away from where they naturally occur?

I feel that it's another one of those things which may not seem like an issue, and seems like a good idea at the time, but is ultimately a very bad idea. 

Again, I have very little technical knowledge of what I'm asking, so I'd love to hear from anyone with a more solid understanding. 

My goodness- if they are using 80% more water on average, maybe the answer is to cut back a bit on the water use rather than try towing an iceberg halfway around the world.

• Like 2

Just now, rashore said:

My goodness- if they are using 80% more water on average, maybe the answer is to cut back a bit on the water use rather than try towing an iceberg halfway around the world.

They are also using a 100% more on slaves than most people.

Every time there's a water shortage somewhere, someone brings up this idea.

• Like 1

UAE is somewhere along the equator. Surely the person who suggested the idea never have an icecream before?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

stop wasting so much water on fountains, cleaning their cars, pools etc

Yep gotta agree with you

How far into the journey would they get before it starts melting? And every bit closer to home they get, every bit hotter it gets. It wouldn't surprise me if less than half of it survived the journey should this be attempted.

I wonder how they would get the iceburg into water tanks if they could get it there? I think they are going after the big one thats getting ready to come off. Sorry, no time to look up which one, name at the moment.

Cut the tops off the tanks of old supertankers that have been cleaned completely, and turn tops into lids. Sail the vessels to Antarctica, fill with ice using regular earthmoving equipment, jcb, conveyer belts, cranes etc. Cover, turn round ship and sail to wherever the water is required. All you're doing is quarrying solid water in a freezing environment. Most tankers have a double hull too and could be filled with insulation. If the ice melts the tank bodies keep it on board.

• Like 2

It's been considered, many times and found neither feasible or practical.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

Dragging a iceberg... as it melt away it will capsize many time over, so chances are the boat won't make it back... 

Going in Antarctica harvest snow and ice as cyclopes500 propose is already more practical, although I'm not sure how much it will cost. It could be cheaper to buy a few tanker of Evan water...

How do they propose to tack an iceberg against the wind? That's not to mention the bulk of the iceberg under water being acted on by ocean currents.

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

How do they propose to tack an iceberg against the wind? That's not to mention the bulk of the iceberg under water being acted on by ocean currents.

These things are big.  

1 hour ago, Frank Merton said:

These things are big.  

Yeah, a monumental task. The amount of raw energy needed is staggering.

I remember a movie called BREWSTER'S MILLIONS where an investor offered to do this.  He was going to actually attach engines to the berg itself and pilot it.  It WAS a comedy, after all :)