Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Agatha Christie disappear in 1926 ?

UM-Bot

Something tells me that in 1926 women who were in 'bad marriages' (aka, domestic abuse) had little to no social support. I think it's very likely that this particular scenario is correct.

• Like 1

I think I prefer the scenario by Andrew Norman in 2006 that she suffered from a psychogenic trance brought on by depression which can leads to long periods of amnesia (this happened to Stephen Fry in 1995).

Read more here:

• Like 1

could be possible as i like to say anything is possible

Years ago I saw a documentary that suggested the disappearance was a publicity stunt to promote Christie's up to then modest career as a writer of mystery novels. As I recall, the documentary described how she left a note with her maid saying she was going to Yorkshire, and expected the maid would become alarmed and contact the police because Christie had been behaving oddly due to her husband having an affair. However, nothing happened. Next, the police were notified of her disappearance by a phone call from a woman in Yorkshire. Another phone call from Yorkshire was received by The Times in London. Then another call was received by her friend Dorothy L. Sayers, who at the time worked for an advertising agency and publicist. For someone who wished to remain hidden, Christie was making a lot of phone calls!

20 hours ago, Amanda Evans said:

She was fighting alien wasps with The Doctor.

Exactly!  I saw a documentary on that very matter just the other day. 

• Like 1

or she committed the perfect crime and needed an alibi. 

Wasn't there a TV movie in the '70s about the disappearance?  If I remember correctly she disappeared to some place that didn't know who she was and just wanted to be an "average woman" for a few days.