Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's Mars plan includes new Moon mission

UM-Bot

Don't think I'd want to spend a year in that thing much less 3+ traveling to and from Mars.  Buzz Aldrin says we should abandon the ISS as soon as possible and put that $3.5B annually funds towards a Mars mission  http://www.space.com/36787-buzz-aldrin-retire-international-space-station-for-mars.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

This is uplifting news for one who as a child was glued to the TV during every second of every moon mission.  I just wish that they had been concentrating on this type of thing the entire time.  By now we would likely have much faster propulsion systems and a high orbital  permanently manned base around mars and walked on the martian moons.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

This is uplifting news for one who as a child was glued to the TV during every second of every moon mission.  I just wish that they had been concentrating on this type of thing the entire time.  By now we would likely have much faster propulsion systems and a high orbital  permanently manned base around mars and walked on the martian moons.

When you think of the money Mankind has invested in destroying each other since the end of WWII, then maybe we would even be living on mars now.

• Like 4

I hope NASA finds a way to simulate the gravity of Mars.  If not the astronauts may have to come out in wheel chairs once they return to Earth.  A lower gravity has to be better than no gravity.  I agree with Merc, if the DST is as small as it looks in the picture on space.com, there's no way I'd want to spend a year in that.

I don't think the human mind is capable of being inside a small enclosure like that for such a long period of time and not suffer a psychological break or severe emotional trauma.

I think we would be better off developing AI and robotics to go on these missions, use them to build infrastructure for mans arrival until such a time man can figure out to get there in a week or so.

1 hour ago, Socio said:

I don't think the human mind is capable of being inside a small enclosure like that for such a long period of time and not suffer a psychological break or severe emotional trauma.

I think we would be better off developing AI and robotics to go on these missions, use them to build infrastructure for mans arrival until such a time man can figure out to get there in a week or so.

What was the result of the recent test they did in Hawaii?

11 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

When you think of the money Mankind has invested in destroying each other since the end of WWII, then maybe we would even be living on mars now.

But ironically, it was the Cold War that brought about the space race of the 1960's. That said, it would have been better if we could look back and say men went to the Moon purely out of the desire to explore and to advance human technology. 

• Like 1