Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surrounded by 15 Great white sharks

seeder

California police warn paddle-boarders as helicopter spots 15 great white sharks near coast

A sheriff's helicopter crew warned a group of paddle-boarders to get out of the ocean after spotting more than a dozen great white sharks along the Southern California coast.

Video posted online by the Orange County Sheriff's Department shows a school of sharks swimming near several people in the water on Wednesday at Dana Point.

"You are paddle-boarding next to approximately 15 great white sharks," Deputy Brian Stockbridge announced over the helicopter loudspeaker to people in the water. "They are advising you exit the water in a calm manner. The sharks are as close as the surfline."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/11/california-police-warn-paddle-boarders-helicopter-spots-15-great/

• Like 5

I went deep see fishing years ago 30 miles off the coast, jumped in to cool off and in 2 seconds this tune came to mind. I walked on water lol

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 5

THey thought it was the surf line all you can eat buffet special ...

~

• Like 4

Well, there's something you never wanna hear when you're out in the water. 

• Like 7

quint.jpg

Paddle board go in the water?  You go on the paddle board?  Shark is in the water, our shark.

:whistle:Farewell and adieu you fair Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu ye ladies of Spain:whistle:

• Like 9

Oh, heck no. This is why it's a good idea to just stay out of the ocean entirely. Nothing good lives in the ocean, why take the chance?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, there's something you never wanna hear when you're out in the water. 

Indeed ... that might make some people panic!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BeastieRunner said:

Indeed ... that might make some people panic!

Like me!  I would die from panic!  ALTHOUGH....if one of them had a Go PRO attached to the bottom of their board, could get some incredible shots 

• Like 4

Whoa, those are some great images, not often you get to see Whites up at shore that clearly...

Dana Point is South of us a bit and is synonymous with sea lions... and whites. 

Couple weeks ago, just as I drove up to Torrance Beach after dropping my son at school, I see a grey whale calf spy hopping right at the break, not 20 feet off shore.  He and his Mum hung out for about an hour before heading off North following pretty far behind most of their relatives who left a month or more ago...

good stuff.  Seeing healthy apex predators, always indicates a healthy system to support them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Future ghost said:

Oh, heck no. This is why it's a good idea to just stay out of the ocean entirely. Nothing good lives in the ocean, why take the chance?

Yep, Fukushima was enough for me.

• Like 1

We are just a few weeks away from the leopard sharks coming into La Jolla Cove.

I love their eyes... iridescent, sparkling gold with rectangular pupils... amazing.  And once you've been among them for a bit in the water, they completely relax and you can just mingle among them, above, below... all flying slowly through the warm shallows... amazing.

Edited by quiXilver
La Jolla not Ja Jolla.... spelling goblins.... ever present
  • Like 4

How cute! A group of adorable great white babies keeping safe in shallow waters and looking for a few stingrays to snack on.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Nope.

Yeah, that's a whole lotta nope right there. Nope to ever being past my ankles again. 

• Like 5

LOL, small sharks, those under 7', live in the shallows and in the surf areas especially. I had a friend that was in the coast guard and they patrolled the beaches around Galveston in helicopters. He had pictures of the beaches and in many of them there were as many sharks in the surf as there were swimmers and on holidays that is a LOT of people and sharks. YET, shark bites are extremely rare. In all truth you are more likely to die from a lightning strike on a beach than a shark bite. About the only time anyone had a problem with a shark was when a fisherman tied his stringer to his belt and had a tug of war over fish for supper. I clipped my stringer to a belt loop and if a shark wanted the fish...well I was in his house, he could have them. Surf fished for decades and never knew anyone that got bit except a dumb but that was messing with a beached shark that he THOUGHT was dead. I've swam and fished in both shark and Gator infested water all my life and never had a bad encounter. In general I was more likely to bother them than them bother me.

• Like 3

They say don't swim with sharks but I can't deny those paddle boards sure look kick a**. I remember when we used to run with our boards and skid out as far as we could before a wave would knock us down. "Shark!" we'd yell if someone slid into one.They were cool though.

• Like 3

I backed into a 6' or 7' sand shark one night when I was surf fishing. I had just cast and was going back to the beach. It was sort of a draw exactly who was most upset but when he slapped me in the butt with his tail I did a good imitation of Jesus walking on the water!  I can cast over a hundred yards but when I stopped running my bait was on the beach. In general sharks are pretty nice critters. Cows kill more people than sharks. 

• Like 5

On 5/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, DanL said:

I backed into a 6' or 7' sand shark one night when I was surf fishing. I had just cast and was going back to the beach. It was sort of a draw exactly who was most upset but when he slapped me in the butt with his tail I did a good imitation of Jesus walking on the water!  I can cast over a hundred yards but when I stopped running my bait was on the beach. In general sharks are pretty nice critters. Cows kill more people than sharks. 

Or was it more like a Looney Toons character? :rofl:

On 5/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, DanL said:

I've swum with thousands of sharks and never once been nervous around them, but backing into one?  I would have veritably levitated out of that water... yikes!

I've had a few intense encounters underwater.

Like I said, I've swum with countless sharks and not felt threatened, but I still vividly recall encountering the menacing stare of one lone 'cuda in Cayman waters.  That cuda stared at me and kept her nose pointed at me from the time I noticed her, until I was out of view... in those waters, visibility is about 100 meters, I gave her very, very wide berth and much respect.  Pure menace seemed to emanate from her.

Once just off the shoreline here near home, I was again alone (dumb), got into the water near Abalone Cove and kicked my way South to a kelp forest to hang out and water meditate.  Depth was about 20 meters and I was working on hypo-ventilating the body for long breath holds, then swimming down maybe halfway and just languidly hanging out, moving for as long as I could very slowly in and throughout the kelp.  It's a meditation unlike any other.  It induces a very slow heart rate and a deeply resonant calm... until you come face to face with an adult elephant seal about six inches from your mask....   holy crap I freaked out.  My wife and I volunteered at the San Pedro Marine Animal Rescue Center years ago.  I had spent many hours wrestling and working with elephant seal pups who came in injured, or malnourished to revive and release them.  They have a tendency to snap at any flashy movement or shiny bits just as an instinctual reaction... This was about a six hundred pound adult female and to this day, I'm amazed that she didn't just snap at my face out of shock...  I went straight to the surface... bee-lined to shore and walked back to my car.

But the most intense one by far, in terms of my depth of fear response and severity of nervousness was just off shore here in Torrance and I never saw a thing, just felt the dread.  I'd been hanging out on a boogie board for about an hour, road a few waves, but mostly was just bobbing on the swells out past the break.  When out of nowhere, I instantly became 'fully awake' and physicall froze.  It was a moment of pure, raw animal knowingness that my entire body awareness communicating the palpable sense that there was an intense threat very near by...  I saw nothing, felt nothing.  As soon as I unfroze... I very calmly moved directly out of the water.  Might have been jellies... life guards next day said, jellies moved in that night... but there is a significant drop off there at the break as well... yea that one still sits with me... the pure, complete body awareness of it. 

• Like 1

Like so many things, ignorance breeds fear and a little information brings interest and understanding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Now that's how it's done.

I think that's the rope ladder variation of Muhammad Ali's Rope a Dope ...

~

• Like 1