Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery behind narwhals' tusks revealed

Claire.

Video Solves Mystery of How Narwhals Use Their Tusks

The unicorn of the sea just got a little less mysterious. Until now, how these animals—narwhals—used their long tusks has been subject to much speculation by scientists.

Read more and view video: National Geographic

• Like 3

Kind of amazing the horn gave it so much of an advantage that it evolved to be so long.

• Like 3

I wonder if that is not the "purpose" of the horn as much as an after the fact benefit.    If you have it, you might as well use it in every way you can. 

I do love this animal!

• Like 4

Swim softly and carry a big stick! It's interesting that the fish haven't gotten wise to this over the eons.  I know if I saw something that big headed my way I'd run or in thyeir case, swim as fast as I could and try to find some place to hide.

• Like 5

They are so beautiful.  :wub:

• Like 2

Wow, I never knew their tusks were actually 9 ft. long teeth. I learned something new today. Very cool animals!

• Like 2

Firstly, a horn like that does not evolve full length straight away, but a small horn sounds useless if we accept the above theory to explain what it is supposed to be for. Secondly, if it is really that useful, why haven't a lot more species got it? And lastly, surely they survived just fine without horns before they evolved, so I do not see the great evolutionary advantage it offers which would result in the tusked ones outbreeding the tuskless ones.

• Like 1

If its purpose is to help catch fish, then why do only the male Narwhals have it? Would think the females would also have it, if its a

• Like 1

they are truly gorgeous !

• Like 2