Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Leaks Highly Classified Intel to Russia

Thanato

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said Trump’s decision to do so endangers cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency.

“This is code-word information,” said a U.S. official familiar with the matter, using terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. Trump “revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.3f7dce0e7250

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 3

Catch it all on Twitter .. trending now ...

~

• Like 3

The WP tends to get a little...excited...when reporting on Trump.

Well, not 'excited' so much as 'frenzied'.

'Bonkers'.

'Nuts'.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 5

Are you saying it's fake news?  I highly doubt it...with such damaging 'fabrication' (if it IS that) the paper could be sued couldn't it?

Edited by sees
  • Like 3

Seems like it is real news.  Trump will probably be mad at whoever leaked it to the press though. 

Anyone want to play "Guess the source"?  I'm going to throw out Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Gromdor
autocorrect
  • Like 2

It looks like every source is quoting the WP. I think I'll wait for a more credible source that gives more information.

• Like 3

Even IF this WaPo story is accurate, can't POTUS declassify anything he wants?

• Like 2

Tell that to those Operatives that is compromised still out in the field ... I think Dubya did something similar ... someone took the dive for him though ...

~

• Like 1

I suspect Hillary did too, with her carelessness of classified material. 

• Like 3

Just goes to show you the loyalty of people around you, and the leaks they spill. If this information was so detrimental why was this part written? 

The Washington Post is withholding most plot details, including the name of the city, at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities.

A Russian photographer took photos of part of the session that were released by the Russian state-owned Tass news agency. No U.S. news organization was allowed to attend any part of the meeting.

Odd how it was mentioned at a meeting, and who ever blabbed told the entire details to the Washington post. Then again, TASS should not have been there either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Yea -- it's all over the reputable newspapers.  You guys are unbelievable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Just goes to show you the loyalty of people around you, and the leaks they spill. If this information was so detrimental why was this part written? 

The Washington Post is withholding most plot details, including the name of the city, at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities.

A Russian photographer took photos of part of the session that were released by the Russian state-owned Tass news agency. No U.S. news organization was allowed to attend any part of the meeting.

Odd how it was mentioned at a meeting, and who ever blabbed told the entire details to the Washington post. Then again, TASS should not have been there either.

An example of Trump's desire to show off (combined with his arrogant stupidity) seriously compromising the US's security.  I just don't believe he still has supporters -- they must be so in love they can't see.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Washington Post :rofl:

A left-leaning but highly respected newspaper.

Calm down everyone. This is about the POTUS Giving highly classified information that is not even Five Eyes to the Russians.... can we keep it on track.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Who do you think you are to tell me to shut up? Third_eye brought up Dubya and I brought up Hillary. You never provide any proof for your wild claims. You couldn't have a civil conversation if your life depended on it.

Now back off!

His point is valid though - you made a claim that is largely offtopic and if you want it to be seen as relevant in some way, it requires evidence, does it not?  Otherwise, are you not doing exactly what you would criticise?

As for the 'back off' and 'ban him' posts - why not abide by forum rules and report the posts that so offend you?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

A left-leaning but highly respected newspaper.

Who ever really believes what  the The Washington Post has to say: a (liberal  paper) ( I sure as hell don't  that puts out more fake news then anybody:(

Edited by docyabut2

nevermind

Edited by Odin11

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Tell that to those Operatives that is compromised still out in the field ... I think Dubya did something similar ... someone took the dive for him though ...

~

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I suspect Hillary did too, with her carelessness of classified material. 

8 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

His point is valid though - you made a claim that is largely offtopic and if you want it to be seen as relevant in some way, it requires evidence, does it not?  Otherwise, are you not doing exactly what you would criticise?

As for the 'back off' and 'ban him' posts - why not abide by forum rules and report the posts that so offend you?

I'm sick and tired of Frank's constant abusive posts and I might start doing just that.

I notice no one called out third_eye.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

Who  really believes what  the The Washington Post has to say: a (liberal  paper) ( I sure as hell don't ! they put out more  more fake news then  any other newspaper :)

During his Oval Office meeting with Lavrov and Kislyak, Trump went off-script and began describing details about an Islamic State threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft, the officials told the Post.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKCN18B2MX

Even Reuters is quoting WaPo. This information has been all over the news for at least a month. It started with Trump's infamous ban. Some sources even told how it could be done.

The horse has already left the barn. No need to lock the door now.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Frankly,  the hysteria and fearmongering coming from WaPo and the NYT, not to mention the TV mediaots, is becoming boring.  I follow a report until I see the magic words, IF, PRESUMED, or an outright "no evidence yet".  Those little, usually deeply buried disclaimers, attend every one of these hit pieces.  At least we know the media thugs still fear the Libel laws.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, .ZZ. said:

Even IF this WaPo story is accurate, can't POTUS declassify anything he wants?

Yes he can, but it really sounds like he shouldn't have, If the story is true.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, and then said:

Frankly,  the hysteria and fearmongering coming from WaPo and the NYT, not to mention the TV mediaots, is becoming boring.  I follow a report until I see the magic words, IF, PRESUMED, or an outright "no evidence yet".  Those little, usually deeply buried disclaimers, attend every one of these hit pieces.  At least we know the media thugs still fear the Libel laws.

Glad I'm not the only one who reads between the lines. IF you count the number of ALLEGED times they use QUESTIONABLE disclaimers, you will PROBABLY be surprised (according to anonymous sources)

• Like 8