Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare white wolf shot dead at Yellowstone Park

Still Waters

A $5,000 (£3,900) reward has been put up for information on how a rare white wolf at Yellowstone National Park was shot dead.

The female was one of three white wolves in the park and had 14 living pups, wildlife officials say.

The reward comes after initial results of a necropsy show the so-called White Lady was shot around 10 April.

"She was one of the most recognisable wolves and sought after by visitors to view and photograph," the park said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39930372

• Like 8

I can't even read it, I'll get too upset! :angry:

Some people!

• Like 7

The more I read the sicker I got. Wolves are such beautiful animals. To not only shoot one, but let it suffer with a mortal wound for hours-maybe even days,who knows for sure-is disgusting to me. If for some reason that person absolutely had to shoot it- such as in self defense ( highly unlikely)- at least have the decency to put it out of its misery quickly. Be a real man, not a coward, and do the right thing. I'm sure this was a thrill-kill. People suck.

• Like 8

Just now, .ZZ. said:

I can't even read it, I'll get too upset! :angry:

Some people!

You're right. I made the mistake of reading it and now I'm upset!<_<

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Future ghost said:

You're right. I made the mistake of reading it and now I'm upset!<_<

I even had to skim the replies above as to not see any more descriptions of this crime. I blanked out some words in my mind.

• Like 4

The government regularly culls these wolf populations to keep their numbers in check so I wouldn't be surprised that this might have been an accidental shooting while a cull was in process. JMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Buzz_Light_Year said:

The government regularly culls these wolf populations to keep their numbers in check so I wouldn't be surprised that this might have been an accidental shooting while a cull was in process. JMO.

Maybe by a blind person...wearing dark sunglasses.....at night....in dense fog.....B)

• Like 3

Just now, .ZZ. said:

I even had to skim the replies above as to not see any more descriptions of this crime. I blanked out some words in my mind.

That's what I usually do, but I didn't do that today for some reason. Lesson learned!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Maybe by a blind person...wearing dark sunglasses.....at night....in dense fog.....B)

Ever hear of collateral damage?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Ever hear of collateral damage?

Yeah, I have. I would feel a lot better if that's what this happened to be, since everyone is capable of making an honest mistake. I would like to think that people aren't that cruel, but unfortunately they keep proving otherwise.:(

• Like 4

You would have thought the Park authorities would know if they were under taking a cull at the moment?

My guess is it's a deliberate assasination either by a trophy hunter (but the wolf, though injured, got away, before dying later) or someone who just hates wolves and therefore targetted the best known, most popular one.

• Like 5

If they find who did this, the party or parties should be shot and left behind.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

If they find who did this, the party or parties should be shot and left behind.

Agreed!:D

• Like 1

I hope they catch these idots. They give all hunters a bad name, we have enough troubles with out guys like this.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bearpaw1274 said:

I hope they catch these idots. They give all hunters a bad name, we have enough troubles with out guys like this.

Curious to know where exactly this occurred. The ongoing, and growing, feud between ranchers and wolves in Wyoming and Idaho is starting to reach crisis levels as wolf populations rebound and has been reported in the news with more frequency here in the US. 

Probably posted it on his Facebook account or posed with it, simply killed for something like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

The government should not be culling anything.  So sick of how we all treat animals and think so little of taking their lives.  

With all of our knowledge, I'm sure there's a way to control unwanted births instead of allowing some blood hungry jerk to kill these magnificent animals.  

Human race could learn a lot from our friends who also call Earth their home.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, seanjo said:

If they do catch the culprit, then the culprit should have a life ban on owning firearms.

And throw in a jail sentence and a hefty fine, too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MJNYC said:

The government should not be culling anything.  So sick of how we all treat animals and think so little of taking their lives.  

With all of our knowledge, I'm sure there's a way to control unwanted births instead of allowing some blood hungry jerk to kill these magnificent animals.  

Culling is necessary in some cases.   I doubt that this killing was are part of it though.   Probably a trophy hunting case.    Possibly a self defense shooting.  

Another case of people being people. The bar is set so low now that I don't even think the devil knows where to find it. 

• Like 3

I don't think nearly as many people would care if the wolf wasn't all white.

Just saying.

• Like 2

This is a disgusting act and the perpetrator will hopefully be found. As someone above said, they should definitely have their firearms removed and be banned from owning guns. It's sickening.

• Like 1

guess what: the government issued hunting licence to the criminal... who is truly guilty?

On 5/16/2017 at 8:33 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

the government is obviously formed by impotent and brainless people who have no idea what they are doing. Since natural habitat is shrinking every year, wild animals have no choise but wonder around cities looking for food which create a false believe that they multiply. How about goverment should keep in check overgrowing population which takes over new territories ans swallows land like parasites.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1