Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Swarm of bees descend on London commuters

11 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A huge swarm of bees hit part of London at rush hour, shocking onlookers who were forced to duck for cover.

People were stopped in their tracks and traffic slowed as the swarm filled the air on Greenwich Church Street, close to the famous Greenwich market, in south-east London on Tuesday evening.

Videos shared on social media show people stopping to watch the scene in front of them, while others ducked to avoid the insects.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/swarm-bees-brings-rush-hours-street-standstill/

• Like 1

WoIverine

Due to a severe lack of decent bee related puns:

636211363397859654-412012237_bzz.gif

• Like 1

seaturtlehorsesnake

did you get that gif from... buzzfeed?

• Like 1

WoIverine
1 minute ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

did you get that gif from... buzzfeed?

lol, zing! :o

(actually got it when I googled "Bee related puns")  ^_^

• Like 1

docyabut2

Were they honey bees that are going extinct?

Frank Merton
On 5/17/2017 at 4:33 PM, Still Waters said:

A huge swarm of bees hit part of London at rush hour, shocking onlookers who were forced to duck for cover.

People were stopped in their tracks and traffic slowed as the swarm filled the air on Greenwich Church Street, close to the famous Greenwich market, in south-east London on Tuesday evening.

Videos shared on social media show people stopping to watch the scene in front of them, while others ducked to avoid the insects.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/swarm-bees-brings-rush-hours-street-standstill/

I don't know how dangerous British bees might be -- it sounds not much since the residents seemed calm enough.  There are some places where swarms are dangerous.  In such a situation don't try to swat them away -- just get away.

Susanc241

Only dangerous if you suffer from bee venom allergy. Most of us have been stung at least once in our lives (painful enough) but a few unlucky people do die from anaphylactic shock.

geraldnewfie

im waiting for the religious comments with the end of times when insects invade :P

Matt221

So long as a queen bee is with them a swarm of bees isn't dangerous I once saw my dad pick a swarm up with his bare hands,it's summat to do with the smells and movement of the swarm ....... don't think I'll bother trying the theory out though. 

paperdyer
14 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I don't know how dangerous British bees might be -- it sounds not much since the residents seemed calm enough.  There are some places where swarms are dangerous.  In such a situation don't try to swat them away -- just get away.

If they're anything like the "yellow jack" variety we have in the South, they are vindictive SOBs.  My dog and I accidently got close to a nest.  They not only came out, they chased us back into the house.  My dog and I got stung so much that she needed a shot from the vet.  To show how vindictive they were, some flew up my pants leg and, you guessed it,  went after the family jewels.  That night my wife even found that one had nested in my hair.  I took a lot of antihistimines but should have gone to the hospital myself as I had the shakes for hours afterwards.

• Like 1

Future ghost
1 minute ago, paperdyer said:

If they're anything like the "yellow jack" variety we have in the South, they are vindictive SOBs.  My dog and I accidently got close to a nest.  They not only came out, they chased us back into the house.  My dog and I got stung so much that she needed a shot from the vet.  To show how vindictive they were, some flew up my pants leg and, you guessed it,  went after the family jewels.  That night my wife even found that one had nested in my hair.  I took a lot of antihistimines but should have gone to the hospital myself as I had the shakes for hours afterwards.

They certainly are. Even more vindictive are the Bald Faced Hornets ( in the same family, I think). I was mowing in the back 10 acres when I drove past their nest. They started pouring out and chasing me. I freaked out since they're huge, kicked my tractor into high gear, and just barely made it inside. A big swarm of them lurked outside the door for about an hour, looking for a way in so they could finish me off. Never had that happen with Yellow Jackets. Sorry about your injuries, sounds really painful. Glad you're both ok.