Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of ghosts has not materialized

Claire.

Are Ghosts Real? — Evidence Has Not Materialized

If you believe in ghosts, you're not alone. Cultures all around the world believe in spirits that survive death to live in another realm. In fact, ghosts are among the most widely believed of paranormal phenomenon: Millions of people are interested in ghosts, and a 2013 Harris Poll found that 43 percent of Americans believe in ghosts.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

In the end (and despite mountains of ambiguous photos, sounds, and videos) the evidence for ghosts is no better today than it was a year ago, a decade ago, or a century ago. There are two possible reasons for the failure of ghost hunters to find good evidence. The first is that ghosts don't exist, and that reports of ghosts can be explained by psychology, misperceptions, mistakes and hoaxes.:tu: The second option is that ghosts do exist, but that ghost hunters are simply incompetent and need to bring more science to the search. 

From the link

• Like 4

People who don't believe in ghosts were obviously not brought up in a haunted house!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The second option is that ghosts do exist, but that ghost hunters are simply incompetent and need to bring more science to the search. 

From the link

The problem is..... Most ghost-hunters are amateur hobbyists, on a tiny budget. While ghost-hunting shows are money-making enterprises, for entertainment purposes only.

I agree that we need more science on the subject.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, acute said:

The problem is..... Most ghost-hunters are amateur hobbyists, on a tiny budget. While ghost-hunting shows are money-making enterprises, for entertainment purposes only.

I agree that we need more science on the subject.

Of course it's about the lulz and money. I'd go ghost hunter for the fun of it. The worst part about serious ghost hunters is that all there equipment they use isn't designed for hunting ghost, well since we don't have a ghost in an evil jar to analyze.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Of course it's about the lulz and money. I'd go ghost hunter for the fun of it. The worst part about serious ghost hunters is that all there equipment they use isn't designed for hunting ghost, well since we don't have a ghost in an evil jar to analyze.

Just suck 'em up the vacuum, like they do on Ghostbusters! :D

• Like 1

Just now, acute said:

Just suck 'em up the vacuum, like they do on Ghostbusters! :D

We are talking the 1980's version right? RIGHT???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We are talking the 1980's version right? RIGHT???

Yep! I haven't seen the remake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, acute said:

Yep! I haven't seen the remake.

Don't unless it's on Netflix or some other free version. I saw it, I wanted to laugh, I wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't. With a better script and story that isn't trying to push some ideology I'd enjoyed it, but everything felt forced and rushed. I hate that in movies. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't unless it's on Netflix or some other free version. I saw it, I wanted to laugh, I wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't. With a better script and story that isn't trying to push some ideology I'd enjoyed it, but everything felt forced and rushed. I hate that in movies. 

I've successfully avoided it so far!

4 hours ago, acute said:

People who don't believe in ghosts were obviously not brought up in a haunted house!

There are only haunted people. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Claire. said:

Are Ghosts Real? — Evidence Has Not Materialized

LOL, that actually made me laugh.

• Like 3

Our old house was reputedly haunted and as a result we witnessed quite a lot of odd stuff happening and wierd sightings like a large white cat that disappeared,or rather pixelated in front of not only my but also then girlfriends eyes,kids often saw an old blokes in the back garden and lots more odd stuff,the thing is soon as we decided to video or photograph use a grid laser set up in the garden nothing happened,so my guess is we were imagining if that's possible

Edited by Matt221
Spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:01 PM, Matt221 said:

Our old house was reputedly haunted and as a result we witnessed quite a lot of odd stuff happening and wierd sightings like a large white cat that disappeared,or rather pixelated in front of not only my but also then girlfriends eyes,kids often saw an old blokes in the back garden and lots more odd stuff,the thing is soon as we decided to video or photograph use a grid laser set up in the garden nothing happened,so my guess is we were imagining if that's possible

I have no experience of haunting and I don't even want one just in case ghost exists, in your case I just wanted to know did you all told that the house is haunted when you moved in? I think if you are given such information the mind might start to play tricks on you this is just my take on it. 

No we didn't know at the time we moved in in fact it was a while before anyone mentioned it to us the reason I thought we were imaging things is we had a visual as I said and nothing happened at all not that this proves or disproves anything I guess I'm just sceptical but it still interests me

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have no direct experience re ghosts but ..

On the day of my Dad's funeral I was hanging around outside our house when my niece (aged about 12) came running out in tears. When I and some neighbours had calmed her down we asked her what was upsetting her so much. "I've just seen Grandad". Grandad (my Dad) was lying in his coffin in the front room with the lid on.

We reassured her that it was Ok to be upset and that we'd all seen him. She replied that she'd just seen him standing in the doorway to the kitchen smiling at her.

This obviously came as a shock to us all especially when she described what he was wearing which was it seemed his old favourite suit from when he was a young man in the 50s ....something she could never have seen nor been told about...I've never seen a photo of him wearing such clothes and it was my Mum who confirmed that was what he wore when the two of them first started going out.

To this day some 30 years later this now grown up mother of three is adamant about what occurred..and knowng her as I do I have no reason to doubt her.

Imagined? Maybe but how could she have imagined something she'd never seen before so accurately I don't know and if you'd seen her at the time, she was absolutely convinced of what she had experienced.

It was an emotional time and emotions can do strange things but....well you had to be there to understand

I like to think that TC Lethbridge and Colin Wilson were somewhat accurate with their descriptions of what 'ghosts' are.

they categorised the occurrences into a number of different types:

1- the ghoul- a feeling of unease or very rarely malevolence, attributed to an area, the example most often quoted is that of Lethbridges wife who was walking along a cliff top and had the sudden urge to jump off, and later said she felt saddened at the spot.

2- the ghost- a recording of happenings that replay at random times when people who are somehow sensitive to it come near. 

3- the poltergeist- used to be a malevolent entity that latches onto juveniles and feeds off of their latent energy, now thought to be the pre-pubescent child themselves who cause the disturbance through some unknown method, possibly through some sort of psychic ability, this tends to wear off after puberty.  

The ghost as a recording goes some way to explain why hunters have only rarely come up with slight evidence of occurrence. They are not able to pick up the recording, and also the equipment can not pick up anything as it needs some human faculty to be able to 'see' the ghost.

• Like 1

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 9:32 AM, trevorhbj said:

A while back while I was ghosthunting I noticed that I could hear my own thoughts in the white noise and had to hold them in I also noticed something talking back to me when I voluntarily did this.

I ve made an art out of controlling and creating voices heard in white noise. When I listen to amplified silence through headphones like ghost hunters do I can really easily manipulate sounds, esp. voices that appear on their own, and have been practicing singing songs into white noise using my ears and using voluntary control over the vestibular where I believe voices originate. If you try this you have to let any voices stopping you a fair chance to join in, they will. Crazy thing is they have no memory except what's in your memory, and if you blur your eyes to the next line in a song lyric they won't know what it is, and won't have any memory of a song on there own. They can improv but I can plainly distinguish the difference between there is a song in the white noise and when it's just a bunch of sounds.

jumping into the woodpile here:

i turned on white-noise from sleep machine ap and sang...my song was too weak for abundance of passion.

i sang into fan, remembering elevators song by outkast that blesses like this thread.

then i gave ear-of-heart-and mind balancing with balance of white noise and i heard......somethings.

was that our own personal aligned balance-to-balance of white noise?

do we consume or form a bond with the ambiance?

at first i heard sprinklers watering ground, then an insect song, maybe katydid, then voices of a group far off coming to us, then like were nearing a ball stadium full of cheer.

it ended with machines, scary ones, shifting into washer machines.