Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What kind of a liar are you?

Claire.

What Kind of Liar Are You? Take This Quiz to Find Out

Call me a liar, and you’re probably right. In fact, one study suggests that my fellow 18- to 44-year-olds tell as many as five lies a day. (Find out if you lie more or less than your age group.) As for my own lying habits … no comment. But it’s certainly true to say that most humans lie with skill and regularity. We learn young, and only get better as we grow. But what motivates us to lie, when society so often frowns on deception?

Read more: National Geographic

• Like 6

Mostly avoidant, social/polite, self impression type of lies. I never lie to be malicious, for financial gain, for personal advantage (that I'm consciously aware of anyway). I'll go take the quiz and see what it says.

• Like 5

What if you don't talk much. And speak only 5 times in a day....does that make every word out of your mouth a lie????

• Like 4

Ok, I'm more of an impact liar...simply to influence others. That said, some of those quiz questions were loaded as I'd never have told some of those lies to begin with.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What if you don't talk much. And speak only 5 times in a day....does that make every word out of your mouth a lie????

You actually have a point there. I'm not a big talker (in real life) and sometimes will only talk to my dog during the course of the day. So, am I lying to my dog?

• Like 7

Just now, Lilly said:

You actually have a point there. I'm not a big talker (in real life) and sometimes will only talk to my dog during the course of the day. So, am I lying to my dog?

What if your dog is lying to you......

• Like 6

18 to 44 year-olds?

I have nothing to worry about then. :huh:

• Like 8

Just now, XenoFish said:

What if your dog is lying to you......

He's super cute so he gets a pass!

Here's some music for this thread:

• Like 7

Just now, .ZZ. said:

18 to 44 year-olds?

Me neither *sigh*.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

18 to 44 year-olds?

Me neither. I hit 45 last month :unsure2:

Edit: Or did I?

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 6

My cat lies to me, she'll meow and meow, walking to and from the food bowl. Acting like it's empty. But it's full.<_<

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Me neither. I hit 45 last month :unsure2:

Uh...ZZ and I are 'senior citizens' (aka old coot and cootess).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

Uh...ZZ and I are 'senior citizens' (aka old coot and coootess).

The funny part of this is that I thought I saw you typed "coolness" and was going to go with that. :lol:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

The funny part of this is that I thought I saw you typed "coolness" and was going to go with that. :lol:

Absolutely, we are very cool old coot and cootess (and that's no lie!).

• Like 3

What is the point of asking a liar to do the quiz? He/she won't give truthful answers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

My cat lies to me, she'll meow and meow, walking to and from the food bowl. Acting like it's empty. But it's full.<_<

That is an interesting point. When animals act in a way to give themselves an advantage (e.g. a peacock displaying its tail feathers to find a mate) or to get out of trouble (e.g. a cat bushing up its tail to look more frightening when attacked by a dog) we say, "Isn't nature amazing". But when humans do the verbal equivalent of that, they are condemned.

• Like 2

I go the secure connection failed box as well... so no quiz taking for me. I'm not much for lying though- truth can be brutal, but it's easier to remember than whatever story one makes up.

• Like 1

The test doesn't tell you how much you lie...just what type (category) of lie you are most likely to indulge in.

3 hours ago, rashore said:

I go the secure connection failed box as well... so no quiz taking for me. I'm not much for lying though- truth can be brutal, but it's easier to remember than whatever story one makes up.

No! Just use the Stanislavsky technique. Believe your own lies and others will too. 

Actually I only lie to avoid giving offense, normally to cover for other people's behaviour, or by omission in work, which I have to sometimes for reasons of common humanity. 

Doesn't matter though anyway, because I'm just over the age limit too. 

You lie to impact others: Of the 11% of respondents in Levine's study whose motivation for lying was to affect others, the majority did so with good intentions: to preserve social rules (2%) or to altruistically help people (5%). But there's no denying some lies are meant to harm: 4% of lies described in the study were told with malicious intent. I avoid lying because you tell one lie and you have to keep creating other lies to cover up the first lie. Where as the truth you don't need to cover up with lies. One of the reasons I sucked at door to door sales was because I hate lying to people.

• Like 1

You can convey a message to someone, whether positive, or negative without offending feelings, or having to lie in the process. All it takes is a little bit of humble presentation.

Consciously make an effort to not lie, by doing so, you'll strengthen your ability to tell the truth. It's like flexing a muscle.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

I catch myself when I'm lying and I don't think I do it five times a day. Maybe at work I'll say 'I did' to something I was going to go do, something like that five times may not be outrageous.

In my experience, the most prolific liars are those who are very polite. The more polite and accommodating a person is, the more they're probably lying to you. I don't trust really chill people because of this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Podo said:

In my experience, the most prolific liars are those who are very polite. The more polite and accommodating a person is, the more they're probably lying to you. I don't trust really chill people because of this.

Perhaps it has something to do with holding onto laughing only when something truly makes you laugh. When you lie like 'yeah I know that guy or that place' its kind of like laughing to break the congestion of silence.