Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question

docyabut2

Why does mankind or all life struggle  to survive, when all life ends up dying any way ? 

Animals that don't have a strong desire to survive soon perish, so evolution has built in a strong desire for personal survival.  Once someone realizes deep down the reality of that one can be said to be enlightened -- obviously I'm not enlightened since I still want to live on.

• Like 3

Innate desire to live.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Why does mankind or all life struggle  to survive, when all life ends up dying any way ? 

Our instinct motivates us. I'm sure the first life on earth that everything came from had a survival instinct on steroids. And that became a prime mover.

• Like 3

Just now, XenoFish said:

Our instinct motivates us. I'm sure the first life on earth that everything came from had a survival instinct on steroids. And that became a prime mover.

Instincts are an important factor in what we do, but in many cases we can and do overcome them.  Of course most instincts evolved for our good, so we have no need to overcome them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Struggle ?     I'm chuffin along okay .    Always have .     The bids around here ,,,, they just fl ap and they flying, live in trees,  eat fruit .

The fish just floppin around sunbaking in the warm water , nibbling algae when hungry . 

But we CAN make it a struggle ......  if we 'want' . 

besides , if you want to experience life , death is part of it .   Some make the mistake of thinking death is opposite of life .... nah . 

Life is the coin and birth and death are either side of the coin of life .     May as well wonder why we have to be born to have life.  ;)  

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

It's the hope that life, after us, survives.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

maybe your right :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

The only immortality is in the DNA. A little piece of you passing from generation to generation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

The only immortality is in the DNA. A little piece of you passing from generation to generation.

People have a vested interest in the hope of an afterlife. It would be great if it was true. That said, we are the Eternal Pessimists, aren't we?

• Like 3

Just now, ChaosRose said:

People have a vested interest in the hope of an afterlife. It would be great if it was true. That said, we are the Eternal Pessimists, aren't we?

Optimism is for the overly confident, pessimism is for the cautious. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Optimism is for the overly confident, pessimism is for the cautious. 

They say optimists are happier, but pessimists are closer to the truth. I'd have to agree on both points.

We're probably just gonna die and rot. That said, if there is an afterlife...who's to say it's gonna be all roses?

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's the "Meaning of Life" isn't it?

I'm older and have no children, but cherish and appreciate the children and those that do have them.

• Like 1

Just now, Likely Guy said:

That's the "Meaning of Life" isn't it?

I'm older and have no children, but cherish and appreciate the children and those that do have them.

I never birthed any, either, but I believe taking care of the ones no one else cares for. 

• Like 1

The "meaning of life" is that there is no mean except the one you give it. As for genetic immortality, even that is finite. Blood lines come and go. I may never be a grandfather and that's fine with me. I look at the children as think, "you are our future, make it better than we made ours." I still have hope that maybe coming generations will fix what's going on, because I can't. I have no power to do so. It is a futile hope, but it's hope. 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

The "meaning of life" is that there is no mean except the one you give it. As for genetic immortality, even that is finite. Blood lines come and go. I may never be a grandfather and that's fine with me. I look at the children as think, "you are our future, make it better than we made ours." I still have hope that maybe coming generations will fix what's going on, because I can't. I have no power to do so. It is a futile hope, but it's hope. 

I hope there's something left for them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm an apatheist. I don't care about God or the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, sure, I'll indulge.

I'm quite happy with just one though.

• Like 4

I'm an apatheist. I don't care about God or the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, sure, I'll indulge.

I'm quite happy with just one though.

I think it would be great if an afterlife or reincarnation were true. It would be a waste if we never remembered or learned anything from previous lives, though. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There is no such thing.

Quit looking to the clouds for god and waiting death. Take up life with the full power of your strength and enjoy each breath, through the good and the bad, the joy and pain, treat it as if this is it.

• Like 3

There is no such thing.

The easiest way I can put this is, at one point it seemed that things in the world were getting better, now it's chaos. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The easiest way I can put this is, at one point it seemed that things in the world were getting better, now it's chaos. 

And that's the way it's seemed since time immemorial.

Edited by Likely Guy

That's like asking  why do people watch movies when all movies end

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

That's like asking  why do people watch movies when all movies end

Nice way of looking at it,

• Like 2