Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Private U.S. Donations Pour in for Tsunami Victims

DC09

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hundreds of millions of dollars in private U.S. donations are pouring in to help victims of Asia's tsunami, from children donating pocket money to big spenders giving seven-figure sums, said aid groups on Monday.

A huge volume of Internet donors crashed the Web sites of charities, including Oxfam America for a while, and callers have been jamming switchboards in an outpouring of generosity unseen by many aid agencies since the 1984 Ethiopia famine.

One of the biggest recipients of private donations is the American Red Cross, which has recorded pledges of about $79 million, spokeswoman Jacki Flowers said.

"The event (tsunami) itself was unprecedented, as has been the response from donors," said Flowers. About half of donations so far came over the Internet, she added.

Millions were left homeless, hungry or threatened by disease following the Dec. 26 tsunami that killed 145,000 from Thailand to Somalia.

Oxfam America has raised more than $12 million in a week, despite the temporary crash of its Web site.

"This is totally unprecedented and could surpass the outpouring of the 1984 famine in Ethiopia," said Oxfam spokesman Nathaniel Raymond.

Charities hope an appeal on Monday by President Bush for Americans to keep giving will sustain donations.

"I ask every American to contribute as they are able to do so," said Bush, who was initially criticized for not doing enough to help aid victims. The United States government has pledged about $350 million in aid, and officials have said more could eventually be offered.

Bush has emphasized U.S. private giving in seeking to counter criticisms that U.S. government foreign-aid contributions have in the past been relatively small as a share of national wealth.

International donors overall have promised about $2 billion in tsunami disaster assistance, but aid groups rely heavily on private funds in the early days as money promised by governments can take longer to reach victims.

Full Article

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Seraphina

• DC09

• Whom_God_Loves

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats nice, but I'd like to know wheres all the support from Oil rich Muslim countries??? how much are they chipin in huh.gif

Japan: $500 million.

-The United States: $350 million.

-Britain: $95 million

-Sweden: $75.5 million

-Spain: $68 million

-China: $60 million sleepy.gif

-France: $57 million

-Australia: $46.7 million.

-Canada: $33 million. disgust.gif

-Germany: $27 million

-Switzerland: $21.9 million

-Denmark: $18.1 million

-Norway: $16.6 million

-Portugal: $11 million

-Qatar: $10 million disgust.gif

-Saudi Arabia: $10 million disgust.gifdisgust.gif

-Singapore: $3.6 million

-New Zealand: $3.5 million

-Finland: $3.3 million

-Kuwait: $2 million disgust.gif

-United Arab Emirates: $2 million disgust.gif

-Ireland: $1.4 million

-Italy: $1.3 million

-Turkey: $1.25 million disgust.gif

-Czech Republic: $750,000

-Iran: $627,000 disgust.gif

-South Korea: $600,000

-Hungary: $411,000

-Greece: $397,000

-Luxembourg: $265,000

-Monaco: $133,000

-Mexico: $100,000

-Nepal: $100,000

-Estonia: $42,000

Hey, before the international community got on Bush's testicles for sitting on his hands, wasn't the US something like fifth or sixth on the list? huh.gif

Hey, before the international community got on Bush's testicles for sitting on his hands, wasn't the US something like fifth or sixth on the list? huh.gif

435016[/snapback]

The first donation he made was 35 millions... 2 million more than Canada laugh.gif

Yeah...It is kinda sad to see how he's jumping like a kicked dog now....I would have prefered to think he'd have done what's been done since simply out of the desire to help, instead of needing to be pressured into it...

$95 million from the UK....bleh, that's only about £63 million....donations from the UK public had outstripped the government's sum within a few days. Hopefully, every country that can afford it will keep building their respective figures up though.

Yeah...It is kinda sad to see how he's jumping like a kicked dog now....I would have prefered to think he'd have done what's been done since simply out of the desire to help, instead of needing to be pressured into it...

435025[/snapback]

Oh, please. rolleyes.gif

That was the initial amount.

Before we knew the true extent of the damage.

It's not unusual for a country to pledge an initial lower amount, and then increase it later. He would have done this no matter what the comments had been.

$95 million from the UK....bleh, that's only about £63 million....donations from the UK public had outstripped the government's sum within a few days. Hopefully, every country that can afford it will keep building their respective figures up though.

435025[/snapback]

What are you doing posting here!? You should be replying to my PM! w00t.gif

Its wonderful to see everyday people chipping in and really making a difference for these people, everywhere I look there is something being done, at my work they have tins you can put in donations at all the registers, at a local sri lankan restaraunt they are collecting clothes to send to the ffected areas its amazing!

Per capita Australia is the secondest highest contributer in monetary aid, I feel proud!

435016[/snapback]

Seems how most of the people in Indonesia and other areas of that region were 9-11 cheerleaders, I'm suprised we gave 10 cents to help mad.gif

user posted image

No Seraphina check your facts we pledged the most in the begining 35million and the UN called us cheap so we raised it as most countries did after that. Maybe Kofi's son could donate some of that oil for food money.

Edited by Whom_God_Loves

I'm in grade six.A lot of us don't know a lot about what's going on, yet we're still raising money. We're gonna have about 5 fundraisers. Remember all of the little helpers out there. Children, only 7, selling lemonade, hot chocolate, to earn money. One child in Seattle I believe decided to help by selling hot chocolate. Not many people took the hot chocolate but they made donations. In the end he had raised $255. It may not seem like a lot, but since it was just a stand, it's a lot. Plus think if all the 6 billion people in the world all gave $255... it would be great.

Nothing we do will ever be enough for some people. I think Bush could probably liquidate all his personal assets and donate it to the relief effort and it wouldn't earn him a single kind word.

BTW, Canada is pledging a minimum of 80 million $, and our PM has pledged to match the donations of the canadian citizens if it surpasses 80 million $ also.

Seems how most of the people in Indonesia and other areas of that region were 9-11 cheerleaders, I'm suprised we gave 10 cents to help

Shows how little you know about the area. If you did you will realise that the indonesian people have suffered at the hands of related terrorist cells to the same group that did 911. They have watched there own citizens and family die at the hands of these people.

Your idiotic arguement could be used to say..... well, since the Americans never came to the aid of the millions of muslims killed in Serbia and co, then why should the rest of the world care when they are attacked? The fact is, we as people need to get past petty stupidity, and reach out when people are in need. If you cant reach out and help someone, the bridges will never be crossed.....

Indonesians are nice people...they weren't the ones cheering in the streets. Those scenes were from Iraq and Qatar IIRC.

Estonia: $42,000

Thats what I make in a year. Cheap b******* tongue.gif

Its wonderful to see everyday people chipping in and really making a difference for these people, everywhere I look there is something being done, at my work they have tins you can put in donations at all the registers, at a local sri lankan restaraunt they are collecting clothes to send to the ffected areas its amazing!

Per capita Australia is the secondest highest contributer in monetary aid, I feel proud!

435084[/snapback]

australia has actually donated more around the 85 mill dollar mark... which as you say aztec, is pretty damn good considering the size of our country and the money it would make.... i have a collection tin, and bin going at work, and am urging ppl to bring in not only money, but medicinal products, as they are badly needing these too, as well as food and blankets.

the products they need if you dont already know are bandages and sterile products, peroxide, betadine, pain medication (as they said, the best stuff they had is basically asprin).. but what ever you can give will help a great deal... dont be ignorant and selfish as one such member on this thread has shown they are...