Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN: Sweden Will be Third World by 2030

Dark_Grey

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

Don't know where you get that from.  Every source seems to agree that the countries you're most likely to be kidnapped are:

1. Mexico
  2. Haiti
  3. Brazil
  4. Philippines
  5. India

Canada and Australia?  Okay :whistle:

You do spout a fairly reasonable sounding line of BS without actually committing to saying anything I'll give you that.

Ha ha! Sorry about that. I was messing about a little. 

There was a point to it, though. The list you give there is for people kidnapped for ransom. If you include children taken overseas by estranged parents then countries like Australia, Canada and New Zealand are much higher than you'd expect. It's all about how you define something.

edit to add:

Mind you I didn't come into this thread with any point of view, all I did was state that a good way to prove Sweden is not the rape capital of Europe would be to list the country or countries that actually have more rapes per capita, something that nobody has attempted to do probably because when you do any kind of casual internet search on the subject it seems that Sweden is indeed the ignominious title holder.  I just don't get what vested interest you have to deny it, at this point.

I don't have any vested interest. I have no idea if Sweden has more rapes per capita than anywhere else - and neither do you. I've tried to explain why you can't compare the crime stats. Criminologists and sociologists understand this. The media doesn't - and neither do you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

I have no idea if Sweden has more rapes per capita than anywhere else - and neither do you. I've tried to explain why you can't compare the crime stats. Criminologists and sociologists understand this. The media doesn't - and neither do you.

So can it be inferred by your above statement that you believe this is true for any list of crime statistics?

36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So can it be inferred by your above statement that you believe this is true for any list of crime statistics?

To an extent, yes.

Different nations collect their data differently. There are ways of making comparisons, but using simple crime statistics is notoriously unreliable. For example, if you compare stats of violent crime between the UK and USA you find that the UK leads the way. But this is misleading because the UK defines violent crime differently. For that reason, criminologists tend to compare homicide rates instead. This is because the definition of homicide is fairly standard and most agree it is a pretty good measure of the rate of violent crime overall. But it's still an estimate.

It's even more difficult for sexual offences because so many victims don't report the crime. It's estimated that anything from 70-90% of rapes go unreported. One of the things Sweden has done in recent years is to attempt to make the legal process of prosecuting rape cases less intimidating for victims. It's argued that more rapes are reported because there is more confidence in the system. But it's is very difficult to ascertain whether this is accurate. 

• Like 1