Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is "The Devil" necessary?

nephili

The Golden Rule is the thing I think has the best chance of being divinely inspired. Now, I could tell myself that it's really God speaking to me and causing me to think that. But then I'd have to wonder how other people can read the same text and not get the same thing out of it. 

Why did Hitler read it and think he was following God by killing Jews? Wouldn't God have "spoken" to him and set him straight? 

So it must be that we get out of the texts what we want to hear. If that's the case, then where is God in all of this? 

9 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I don't really see how one can "choose belief," either. One could want to believe, or not...or even not care one way or the other. One could wish that something exists, but not have the knowledge of whether or not it does. 

Its a handy trick !     Once one understands what belief actually is ;)   and religion. 

I chose to 'be' a Hare Krishna in my youth, for a while, as I wanted to use their 'technology ' to break some 'bad habits' .

Now, I choose to believe (as far as creation stories go )  in the  Wallenganda / Ungud , giant snake cycles .

I have tried to explain this to some ... but they ranted at me and hurled abuse .  Ho -hum . 

9 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

The Golden Rule is the thing I think has the best chance of being divinely inspired. Now, I could tell myself that it's really God speaking to me and causing me to think that. But then I'd have to wonder how other people can read the same text and not get the same thing out of it. 

Why did Hitler read it and think he was following God by killing Jews? Wouldn't God have "spoken" to him and set him straight? 

So it must be that we get out of the texts what we want to hear. If that's the case, then where is God in all of this? 

Oh no !   Hitler didnt 'kill'  anyone .... remember     ... its okay if its war   (according to the Bible and its justifiers  )  and not considered 'killing' .   ;) 

• Like 1

One good thing can be said about Hitler though  .... 

apparently  he   killed Hitler   :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Perhaps it was "god's" will? You know how that works, plagues and death. God loves mass sacrifices. 

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

Its a handy trick !     Once one understands what belief actually is ;)   and religion. 

I chose to 'be' a Hare Krishna in my youth, for a while, as I wanted to use their 'technology ' to break some 'bad habits' .

Now, I choose to believe (as far as creation stories go )  in the  Wallenganda / Ungud , giant snake cycles .

I have tried to explain this to some ... but they ranted at me and hurled abuse .  Ho -hum . 

I always had to figure out what would work on my psyche, because not everything will. 

New age type stuff that I think is foo foo just doesn't do the trick. Scrap that and go for something I can take seriously, or it's a no-go. 

For instance, I just can't believe that sage-smudging is gonna do anything other than drive me from my own home. That stuff reeks. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Indeed there are ... I was 'surprised '  by this part 

The indigo race. As the red men were the most advanced of all the Sangik peoples, so the black men were the least progressive.  " 

At least we're assured that it isn't the white man that's superior, but rather, that it's the red man of North America who's at the top of the totem pole.

Don't tell that to Andrew Jackson. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_of_self-identified_Cherokee_ancestry

Edited by Will Due

But yeah, I've never been one of those people who could just be like...from this moment on, I believe in mermaids. Just because I want to. 

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

it's the red man of North America

Well then. Perhaps I should thank my great great grandpa, and great grandmother.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Well then. Perhaps I should thank my great great grandpa, and great grandmother.:rolleyes:

Actually I'm wrong in referring the red man only to North America. They're all over the world. Having mixed with the Chinese in antiquity before heading over the Berring Strait to add something to the people of southeastern Asia, the Philippines, Indonesia and the Polynesians. And of course the people of South America. 

Yeah, the idea that skin color has something to do with superiority...I don't know why anyone thinks enlightened beings would believe this.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Perhaps it was "god's" will?

Nah. Clearly the devil made him do it.

Just now, nephili said:

Nah. Clearly the devil made him do it.

By sneaking into his mind...while he was...reading the bible ?

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Actually I'm wrong in referring the red man only to North America. They're all over the world. Having mixed with the Chinese in antiquity before heading over the Berring Strait to add something to the people of southeastern Asia, the Philippines, Indonesia and the Polynesians. And of course the people of South America. 

And of course, if I don't say so myself, the red man's racial contribution to the "white" race of the USA and Canada shouldn't be overlooked either. Maybe that's why America is great again!

I wonder if Donald Trump is part Mohican? :clap:

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

By sneaking into his mind...while he was...reading the bible ?

I know right. Lol

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

And of course, if I don't say so myself, the red man's racial contribution to the "white" race of the USA and Canada shouldn't be overlooked either. Maybe that's why America is great again!

I wonder if Donald Trump is part Mohican? :clap:

I'd like to say this is thread derailment, but the topic is the devil. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Derailment? CNN insists that Donald Trump IS ---- the devil.

It is just such fail that something purporting to be from higher beings is still linking phenotype to superiority. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

I think that is the nature of these threads. Typically by page 5 is when it starts to go downhill. 

Just now, Will Due said:

Derailment? CNN insists that Donald Trump IS ---- the devil.

But he is necessary. 

I liked you better when you were quoting the Urantia Book. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

You just think I have to make your choice. I don't, because it's a false dichotomy.

Then you need to explain  the alternative The only third option is  to chose neither belief nor disbelief, which is a logical solution when faced with a lack of knowledge or information .   

Just now, Mr Walker said:

Then you need to explain  the alternative The only third option is  to chose neither belief nor disbelief, which is a logical solution when faced with a lack of knowledge or information .   

I already stated some of the other options. You just denied that they were options. 

• Like 2