Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is "The Devil" necessary?

nephili

If there is a "god" i doubt it has a body at all, it is probably some type of energy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I understand, but given how so many today have gotten over the gender identification issue, why can't we do the same for God?

Getting over it would be ceasing to need to label God with regard to gender...or even ceasing to need to personify the concept of God. You're just loaded with references to gender, and they're all one-sided, at that. 

Very 20s through 50s, although I might expect that due to the source. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Getting over it would be ceasing to need to label God with regard to gender. 

Then we should do the same for us, and do away with all gender pronouns. 

Instead of he or she, we should use "it" when addressing others to be consistent. 

Do I understand you right?

5 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

If there is a "god" i doubt it has a body at all, it is probably some type of energy.

Human concepts of God that I've found in texts seem very limiting. The idea that God has to have a body and a particular sex, or that it has an opposite...some arch-nemesis, so to speak...these seem like very small ideas. 

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Human concepts of God that I've found in texts seem very limiting. The idea that God has to have a body and a particular sex, or that it has an opposite...some arch-nemesis, so to speak...these seem like very small ideas. 

Yeah, i can see why people believe in a "God" but the devil is to over the top in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Instead of he or she, we should use "it" when addressing others to be consistent. 

I actually use "it" or God when I'm discussing this type of thing. 

If we were speaking spiritually about everyone, then I don't see why gender would even enter into it at all. Why not just say people or humans or even souls (if one believes in a soul)? 

But when all of your wording is male, it does send a message that women don't have a place in your spirituality, because they are not even given the consideration of being included in the slightest way. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Not "it"... "they/them". Folks that don't go by "he/she" tend to prefer "they/them".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rashore said:

Not "it"... "they/them". Folks that don't go by "he/she" tend to prefer "they/them".

I'm struggling with the one. I can't fathom the many. Lol. 

I always thought God meant everything and you can't give a gender to everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trevorhbj said:

I always thought God meant everything and you can't give a gender to everything. 

I guess some languages have managed that, though. Lol.

1 minute ago, trevorhbj said:

I feel like saying "god" is everything is a cop out, and what i mean is if "god" appeared as some form (whatever it may be) people could just say "see we were right, this form was included in the "everything"

Just now, Baldylocks said:

I feel like saying "god" is everything is a cop out, and what i mean is if "god" appeared as some form (whatever it may be) people could just say "see we were right, this form was included in the "everything"

LOL. Well, that's true. In the same token, if it appeared as a burning bush, they might think God is a burning bush. 

I think people are just attributing everything to God because they're viewing God as the source of everything. And if it were some universal consciousness, or some type of energy, then it could be in anything it wanted to, and maybe even all at once. It could be a rock, a staff, a burning bush, a man, a woman, a dolphin, the sea, a mountain, the universe. 

9 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I actually use "it" or God when I'm discussing this type of thing. 

If we were speaking spiritually about everyone, then I don't see why gender would even enter into it at all. Why not just say people or humans or even souls (if one believes in a soul)? 

But when all of your wording is male, it does send a message that women don't have a place in your spirituality, because they are not even given the consideration of being included in the slightest way. 

It's not my spirituality, it's yours.

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

LOL. Well, that's true. In the same token, if it appeared as a burning bush, they might think God is a burning bush. 

I think people are just attributing everything to God because they're viewing God as the source of everything. And if it were some universal consciousness, or some type of energy, then it could be in anything it wanted to, and maybe even all at once. It could be a rock, a staff, a burning bush, a man, a woman, a dolphin, the sea, a mountain, the universe. 

But if it is everything does that mean "God" is the Devil aswell?

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It's not my spirituality, it's yours.

All that stuff that you said is not my spirituality. It's your spirituality. And it clearly doesn't include anyone like me. You can't even say woman. It's like it's a dirty word to you. You don't want any in your spirituality. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baldylocks said:

But if it is everything does that mean "God" is the Devil aswell?

It could mean there is no devil.

Edited by ChaosRose

To look honestly within the duality of our nature, is to realize there is no god or devil. Only us.

23 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

All that stuff that you said is not my spirituality. It's your spirituality. And it clearly doesn't include anyone like me. You can't even say woman. It's like it's a dirty word to you. You don't want any in your spirituality. 

Please forgive me woman. You're going to far with all of this gender stuff.

Spirituality is the gift of God. It's for all of us. My spirituality is mine only. Everyone else has their own only.

I really don't know what else to say.

But I'm pretty sure you've completely misunderstood most of what I have been saying.

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Spirituality is the gift of God. It's for all of us. My spirituality is mine only. Everyone else has their own only.

But I'm pretty sure you've completely misunderstood most of what I have been saying.

At least you can type woman. Somehow, it still manages to seem offensive, though...lol. I'm not sure how you managed that. Maybe it was the long time it took for you to use the term. I'm not sure. 

I'm just trying to point out how one-sided, gender-specific language can sound. It smacks of patriarchy, and I would hope the spiritual wouldn't be about patriarchy or matriarchy (which seem ego-driven) or eugenics which is just a terrible idea. 

17 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What are you? A more condescending version of Mr.Walker.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What are you? A more condescending version of Mr.Walker.

Ok so I wasn't imagining the condescension. Lol.

• Like 1

Maybe that's why he never says it. Lol.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What is it with the religious/spiritually minded and arrogance? Seems to go hand in hand.

Well, I think it has to do with ego and the need to feel that we're special. 

If there is a source...a God...then how do we know that we're special among its creations? How do we know that's not just something we told ourselves because we wanted it to be true? 

I think all of it has to do with avoiding that existential void inside all of us. Instead of looking inside the abyss.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1