Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Herd of cows mysteriously jump off cliff

Still Waters

What caused a herd of cows to jump to its death from a cliff in the Valais last week?

That’s the question pondered by farming experts in the area, who fear the animals may have been chased by an unknown predator, reported Swiss media. 

The 13 Hérens cows broke out of their pen, ran towards a cliff and either fell or threw themselves off the 50 metre drop last Wednesday night near the village of Levron, local paper La Nouvelliste reported. 

Twelve of them died, the thirteenth survived -- probably because it landed on the others -- but was injured and taken to an animal hospital in Bern.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20170531/swiss-farmers-left-puzzled-after-cows-throw-themselves-off-cliff

• Like 4

Humans are fairly intelligent and we sometimes do thing because others in our group are doing them.  I imagine a less intelligent animal might decide the cow in front of him/her knows what it's doing and will follow without much thought.

Edit: Assuming they jumped and weren't harassed into doing it.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 4

Perhaps the cows were tired of being messed with by the ETs that want to cut their tongues out and decided to end it all?

*yes, that was a cattle mutilation joke*

Serious answer: Cows really are pretty dumb. A 40 pound Border Collie can control an entire herd of cattle, what does that tell you.

• Like 8

In a film I watched once there was a flock of sheep being harassed by a dog who was driving them nearer and nearer to the edge of a cliff, next thing they started to go over the edge and land on the rocks below. I don't remember the name of the film, but I remember whoever was controlling the dog did it on purpose. It was quite disturbing to watch actually.

Cows are much like sheep in that respect, when one moves the rest follow. I've never heard of any going over the edge of a cliff before though, whatever caused them to do that it's a sad loss for the farmers.

• Like 5

Just in regards to the surviving cow...Despite not being incredibly intelligent animals, this event surely would still have some form of mental scarring would it not? I mean...not only is the cow the only survivor, it potentially landed on the twelve mangled bodies of the other cows. That's one hell of an intense concept to imagine.

This is the last type of news I ever expected to read about. I can't quite wrap my head around it as I don't tend to pay much attention to farm animals. I find it morbidly intriguing and utterly depressing at the same time :blink:. Poor cows.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Serious answer: Cows really are pretty dumb. A 40 pound Border Collie can control an entire herd of cattle, what does that tell you.

That reminded me of this actually:

lol, like the pied piper.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 3

Keep off the grass...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

What caused a herd of cows to jump to its death from a cliff in the Valais last week?

"But all my friends are doing it!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

Perhaps the cows were tired of being messed with by the ETs that want to cut their tongues out and decided to end it all?

Smells like wolf?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

That’s the question pondered by farming experts in the area, who fear the animals may have been chased by an unknown predator, reported Swiss media. 

The 13 Hérens cows broke out of their pen, ran towards a cliff and either fell or threw themselves off the 50 metre drop last Wednesday night near the village of Levron, local paper La Nouvelliste reported. 

Twelve of them died, the thirteenth survived -- probably because it landed on the others -- but was injured and taken to an animal hospital in Bern.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20170531/swiss-farmers-left-puzzled-after-cows-throw-themselves-off-cliff

Sound like someone cast a legion of demons into the herd.

5 hours ago, acute said:

I can feel a Village Barby coming on.

:tu:

Mmmmmmm delicious suicidal burgers. Mmmmmmm.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

One terrorist that mistakenly failed to blow up his shoe bomb has literally billions of people taking their shoes off at every airport on the planet. So watch who you call dumb. I can go on if you want to know about the stupidity, ignorance and absolute arrogance of human kind. I will give you this, the Hubris that humans have is greater than this universe can contain.  

Edited by Nzo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

Mmmmmmm delicious suicidal burgers. Mmmmmmm.

Yum!

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

I mean as history shows a couple small population of humans can control thousands or millions of other humans lol (the British Empire for example or any military occupation)

My advise? Avoid the Swedish meatballs at the next buffet you go to.

Edited by eddword
compuker malfunction
  • Like 1

Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle.
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such a sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

They got out of the pen and something spoked them most likely chased them even a simple dog possibly. Just for fun this is not to far from where I live.

Depressed at the state of current affairs, they enacted a mooicide pact... :unsure2:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Depressed at the state of current affairs, they enacted a mooicide pact... :unsure2:

Don`t drink the coolaid no sir.

6 hours ago, coolguy said:

Maybe they didnt know there was a cliff

Cows were forever going over cliffs, no one should be surprised. We used to see them at the bottom of cliffs when going fishing. They're dumb animals. So i agree with you dude. No mystery here. 

It always saddens me when animals needlessly suffer.

• Like 2