Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Reason They Buried Gobekli Tek?

If you want to protect your most precious structure(s) from destruction, erosion, desecration.  If you want it to last "forever".  What do you do to it?

This news story gives it away .....

(Daesh are not exactly the first people to raze ancient monuments to the ground)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Essan said:

If you want to protect your most precious structure(s) from destruction, erosion, desecration.  If you want it to last "forever".  What do you do to it?

This news story gives it away .....

(Daesh are not exactly the first people to raze ancient monuments to the ground)

I suspect that a clan or powerful leader would build his own structure and perhaps at his death or some other important event they would bury it and build another that might explain the twenty or so circles at GT. Your idea is also feasible but why the multiple sites? Perhaps a mix of the two?

• Like 2

Would not be the first time someone did not want their civilization relics disturbed, Ghengis Khan had his tomb hidden to this day, buried and the area trampled with horses to erase all signs, or in other accounts a whole river diverted over it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just reading an old news article titled: 'Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilisations.'

It would be a good reason to bury Gobekli Tepe

Just now, Frank_Hoenedge said:

I was just reading an old news article titled: 'Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilisations.'

It would be a good reason to bury Gobekli Tepe

It's been discussed here. The basics are the authors of the paper are a couple of engineers who had no experience with the site and made some of the facts fit their conclusion. It doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

It's been discussed here. The basics are the authors of the paper are a couple of engineers who had no experience with the site and made some of the facts fit their conclusion. It doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.

It was silly irrational and unscientific speculation actually. I hope their tenure committee doesn't read that paper.

• Like 3

Wonder if a sudden cataclysm could've covered it up, started the process, or finished it off.

Edited by WoIverine

26 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

Wonder if a sudden cataclysm could've covered it up, started the process, or finished it off.

Nah, it looks like there was a practice of burying the old structure and building a new one. Makes it a tradition, though without writing we have to draw comparisons to modern cultures. 

My personal theory is that the site was (basically) a bazaar or moot where the local tribes met up to trade (bazaar mode) or debate or conduct official business (moot mode). Each tribe had a unique marker to designate their space in the bazaar/moot. 

over the years, tribes died off/wandered off/were assimilated into other tribes and no longer needed their markers, so the community buried the old site and built a new one nearby.

And then, one day, the entire area fell under the control of someone who no longer felt there was a need for GT so buried it.

• Like 3

Burial and rebirth symbology, tradition passed on from generation to generation. Renewal, as winter fades into spring life starts over. Bury the structure of the dead and build a new one for the living.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Burial and rebirth symbology, tradition passed on from generation to generation. Renewal, as winter fades into spring life starts over. Bury the structure of the dead and build a new one for the living.

Ohh I do like that idea.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes or they buried it to hide it from an enemy to prevent their 'medicine or magic' from being found by the enemy. Who knows it might have been the proto-sumerians themselves or were the GT'ers a few thousand years from becoming them?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Yes or they buried it to hide it from an enemy to prevent their 'medicine or magic' from being found by the enemy. Who knows it might have been the proto-sumerians themselves or were the GT'ers a few thousand years from becoming them?

Both are probably right, as each clan buried their shrine one last time, never to renew them.

• Like 1

...anyone who's ever met a dog knows that they like to bury stuff for later.

And giant, holy Hounds would bury giant, holy things like (for instance) GT.

(Once again, holy knowledge answers what seems at first to be mysterious,)

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

Personally, I think that Goblekli Tepe was an advanced civilisation for its time that fell into barbarism or some other catastrophic natural event and the locals buried the buildings to remove the bad mojo or protect it.

Captain Risky seems to want to renew his earlier failed discussion on GT.

For those interested here is his  previous attempt to troll a discussion about the same site. 33 wonderful pages

He used devastating academic evidence like:

Hancock was right and his detractors wrong. 

lol

Risky do you really think anyone wants to go thru that same discussion again? Feel free to try but I can assure you the minute you try your tied old and inept trolling techniques they will be reported.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Coming from the dude that insisted that Goblekli Tepe had a animal skin coving for a roof that's very rich. Anyway for the readers please free to view the old thread and make up your own decisions based on modern facts. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Coming from the dude that insisted that Goblekli Tepe had a animal skin coving for a roof that's very rich. Anyway for the readers please free to view the old thread and make up your own decisions based on modern facts. 

See right into trolling again you cannot even try to appear like a real poster, tsk tsk. Could you at least come up with something original and witty or are you just going to repeat your earlier failed performance?

LOL

'the modern facts' is a rather speculative and a bit loopy paper by some fellows well out of their depth.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/306779/ancient-carvings-confirm-deadly-comet-strike

It seems to have been a bit of a fan piece published to make their hero Hancock happy

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

Personally, I think that Goblekli Tepe was an advanced civilisation for its time that fell into barbarism or some other catastrophic natural event and the locals buried the buildings to remove the bad mojo or protect it.

Things on top of a hill don't get buried by accident. So yeah, this seems like a good idea. 

I have no doubt that civilization tried and failed many times over the ages, fading away or collapsing over and over until the Fertile Crescent got lucky and made something that stuck around long enough to have a connection with the next thing. That would make it the first one that matters.

And BTW ; all you guys harping on the old thread... don't we have a rule against Necro-threading around here?

• Like 1

I'm guessing someone gave a little kid a shovel and he went nuts. Nobody minds their kids.

• Like 2

I'm still of the opinion that the retiring of the site ties into the development of agriculture and domestication leading to a wind down of whatever practices the site was used for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShadowSot said:

I'm still of the opinion that the retiring of the site ties into the development of agriculture and domestication leading to a wind down of whatever practices the site was used for. 

Very possible it is also possible that for reasons unknown to us, omens, fate, bad luck, a decision by x or y, they MOVED the site elsewhere, move away, changed religion or were forced by nature, disease or war to not come back. I've been through that part of Turkey and also the area of what use to be Syria to the south of the site - there hundreds of mounds and un-looked at sites around there, further out there are thousands more all un-excavated and only a minority ever surface surveyed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

Things on top of a hill don't get buried by accident. So yeah, this seems like a good idea. 

I have no doubt that civilization tried and failed many times over the ages, fading away or collapsing over and over until the Fertile Crescent got lucky and made something that stuck around long enough to have a connection with the next thing. That would make it the first one that matters.

And BTW ; all you guys harping on the old thread... don't we have a rule against Necro-threading around here?

Archaeologist had already determined that they were purposely buried the question is why? While cultures have been rising and falling and influencing each other for a long time civilizations (depending on the parameters you use to define a civilization) had not yet come into existence (AFAWNK).

No one is harping about the old thread I was mentioning that certain posters have along history of disruptive behaviour and had already tried to do so on this subject before - with unintended comedic ineffectiveness while trying to do so.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm guessing someone gave a little kid a shovel and he went nuts. Nobody minds their kids.

When it comes to religion and people doing strange things - nothing would surprise me. Hopefully over the next few years they will be able to find a habitation and burial site from the same cultural group.

9 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Very possible it is also possible that for reasons unknown to us, omens, fate, bad luck, a decision by x or y, they MOVED the site elsewhere, move away, changed religion or were forced by nature, disease or war to not come back. I've been through that part of Turkey and also the area of what use to be Syria to the south of the site - there hundreds of mounds and un-looked at sites around there, further out there are thousands more all un-excavated and only a minority ever surface surveyed.

Yeah, it's entirely possible. Real shame how so much work is being prevented. I do think it might be more than a coincidence how the time periods match up. And it could explain the deterioration of skill at the site before it was retired. 

I know some sites have been found that seem to predate Gobekli but haven't really been dated yet. Hoping for more work soon. 

• Like 1