Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Colossal Squid' Surfaces In Antarctic

UM-Bot

A colossal squid has been caught in Antarctic waters, the first example of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni retrieved virtually intact from the surface of the ocean. "All we knew prior to this specimen coming through was that this animal lived in the abyssal environment down in Antarctica," New Zealand squid expert and senior research fellow at Auckland University of Technology, Dr Steve O'Shea, told BBC News Online.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• UM-Bot

• Bizarro

• CASTOR

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"This animal, armed as it is with the hooks and the beak that it has, not only is colossal in size but is going to be a phenomenal predator and something you are not going to want to meet in the water."

damn straight, dude. laugh.gif

wow, i dont know what to say to that. i wish the discovery channel would just spend a lot more money and get pictures of this thing in the ocean. if they stayed down there for about a year, you would have to see one of them. anyway, great article!

CASTOR

I posted this link on the other thread but just to give everybody the chance to check it out . This is the site DR O'shea actually posted the findings of the discovery first . It has lots of info on it and actuall posts by Dr. Oshea Clicker

Thought I'd just post a link to the other thread here aswell - for those who haven't seen it, the other thread contains more information and links to articles on the subject of the Colossal Squid.

Click Here