Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'ape' caught on video lurking in wood

Still Waters

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is investigating after a mysterious, ape-like creature was captured on cellphone video recently in the foothills near a hiking trail in La Crescenta, not far from the 210 Freeway.

Jake Gardiner, who works near the area, spotted the animal while taking a stroll during the woods on his lunch break last week.

"At first, I heard a bunch of strange noises in the trees. Figured it was just some types of bird or something like that,” Gardiner told KTLA in an interview on Tuesday.

http://ktla.com/2017/06/06/caught-on-video-mystery-creature-spotted-prowling-hills-behind-la-crescenta/

• Like 6

First thing I always do with a story like this is do google maps on the location.

This looks to actually be a pretty good location. Google maps shows the Angles National Forest very near by. Some place called Hidden Springs inside the National Forest is nearby, and I googled that, and pics show lots of large trees. The supposed favored habitat of the Bigfoots (Bigfeet...?).

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hidden-springs-campground-garberville

From the OP link:

At first, he couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary. It wasn't until he checked the footage a second time that he noticed something unusual.

Always a bad sign."Yeah there was this giant ape.... But I didn't see it, I only saw it when I looked at the video.".

Looks like a leaf falling across the view of the video to me.

• Like 4

The tree doesn't appear to move when the object grabs on to it. I think the branches would bend under the weight of an ape.

• Like 4

It looked like a clump of leaves.  Here is the first thing I thought, though, the guy is going for a walk in the woods and he is filming through his phone?   Maybe I got that wrong and he pulled it out after he heard or saw something (my playback on this machine is terrible) so let me know if that is what he said.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is investigating after a mysterious, ape-like creature was captured on cellphone video recently in the foothills near a hiking trail in La Crescenta, not far from the 210 Freeway.

Jake Gardiner, who works near the area, spotted the animal while taking a stroll during the woods on his lunch break last week.

"At first, I heard a bunch of strange noises in the trees. Figured it was just some types of bird or something like that,” Gardiner told KTLA in an interview on Tuesday.

See the video and read the rest here

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

It looked like a clump of leaves.  Here is the first thing I thought, though, the guy is going for a walk in the woods and he is filming through his phone?   Maybe I got that wrong and he pulled it out after he heard or saw something (my playback on this machine is terrible) so let me know if that is what he said.

Yes, he heard what he described as 'strange sounds' and then started filming. He thought the strange sounds may have been birds. I don't know of any birds that make ape-like sounds, though I suppose it's possible....

• Like 2

Oh my God, another Blurfoot, the only quarter ton animal in the world no one can get a decent of picture of.:o

(Postscript. I finally got the video to play after rebooting my computer.  Could be a chimp or pareidolia, too blurry(as is usual)to tell.)                                       

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Has anyone checked on the whereabouts of Bubbles lately?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simplybill said:

Yes, he heard what he described as 'strange sounds' and then started filming. He thought the strange sounds may have been birds. I don't know of any birds that make ape-like sounds, though I suppose it's possible....

Thanks

• Like 1

Based on 1:30ish in the video when they freeze and zoom, I would guess that were this to be an ape, it would not be a great ape, but rather one of the lesser apes. Most likely a siamang gibbon. The animal appears rather small to be a chimp, bonobo, or gorilla. It also appears rather adept at brachiating through the canopy and the limb and hand viable around 1:30 most closely resembles that of a gibbon, with the long slender fingers.

Or its a trash bag in the trees.

• Like 6

Pretty sure that the 'California Department of Fish and Wildlife' don't care about this at all.

• Like 1

he says he pulled out the phone to record due to hearing noise.

He also stated that he did not see anything and only noticed the 'thing' when reviewing the footage...

However...when you watch the he is scanning from left to right, then suddenly the 'thing' goes into shot briefly...then he instantly starts to move the filming from right to left...at speed. exactly as you would do if you scanned passed something then quickly reverse your scanning to try and capture what just came into shot briefly...

he would not have done this if he did not see anything, which suggests a hoax and he didn't think details through...............maybe

• Like 4

3 hours ago, quillius said:

he says he pulled out the phone to record due to hearing noise.

He also stated that he did not see anything and only noticed the 'thing' when reviewing the footage...

However...when you watch the he is scanning from left to right, then suddenly the 'thing' goes into shot briefly...then he instantly starts to move the filming from right to left...at speed. exactly as you would do if you scanned passed something then quickly reverse your scanning to try and capture what just came into shot briefly...

he would not have done this if he did not see anything, which suggests a hoax and he didn't think details through...............maybe

Good catch quill.  Also, if I am in the woods and hear something very odd I use my vision to locate and  identify the source of the noise, I definitely don't use my phone camera to do it.   Of course I am not a millennial so maybe this is a natural reaction but hard to believe.  If it is a hoax then not well done as it seems like a lot of work to do just to catch that extremely poor two frames of blobsquatch.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Good catch quill.  Also, if I am in the woods and hear something very odd I use my vision to locate and  identify the source of the noise, I definitely don't use my phone camera to do it.   Of course I am not a millennial so maybe this is a natural reaction but hard to believe.  If it is a hoax then not well done as it seems like a lot of work to do just to catch that extremely poor two frames of blobsquatch.

Same here Merc, I too would use my vision to locate and identify, especially when the woods are full of noises......not sure why a bit of noise suddenly means quick get phone out it could be an ape....

If I did see one (or a UFO for that matter....) I think I would be too transfixed and not want to miss a thing to start trying to fiddle around with phone etc to film it.......but kids these days are a bit more like John Wayne and quick to the draw with their phones....they can be zoomed in filming in seconds....would take me a minimum of 30 seconds, hence why I would just carry on watching rather than miss the whole thing whilst fumbling with phone

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, quillius said:

Same here Merc, I too would use my vision to locate and identify, especially when the woods are full of noises......not sure why a bit of noise suddenly means quick get phone out it could be an ape....

If I did see one (or a UFO for that matter....) I think I would be too transfixed and not want to miss a thing to start trying to fiddle around with phone etc to film it.......but kids these days are a bit more like John Wayne and quick to the draw with their phones....they can be zoomed in filming in seconds....would take me a minimum of 30 seconds, hence why I would just carry on watching rather than miss the whole thing whilst fumbling with phone

Yep, at my age I can't opine with any confidence as guys his age (the subject of the report) were born using those things!  :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Yep, at my age I can't opine with any confidence as guys his age (the subject of the report) were born using those things!  :D

agreed.....my kids can complete about 5-10 actions on phone by the time I find the on button  :P

Most people wouldn't start videotaping before they spotted something.  I'm calling fake on this one.  Nothing but a man in a cheap monkey suit or maybe a squirrel.    

• Like 1

The one time I saw an honest-to-goodness UFO, I actually contemplated running back into the house to grab my camera. I thought, "If I don't get a photo, the folks at UM won't believe me!" True story! Lol

This may seem inconsequential, but I began to suspect the young man's sincerity when he touched his face during the news interview. A police investigator would consider his body language to be a sign of deception.

I noticed that the "ape" appears to be moving against the trees. BUT... It appears to be stationary when compared to the branch in the foreground that comes into the scene just after. Could be something dangling from the branch. Could just be a left on a spiderweb.

There are several versions now on Youtube.

I took this from a screen shot. Looks like a lot of green in the fur of that ape, to me.

....caliape.jpg.9e03a19339555464ab3124a22b0fa390.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

If we assume this is legitimate, then we are provided a plausible explanation for at least some big-foot sightings. As this might be an escaped or released primate, so might some past sightings that have not been identified as hoaxes.

• Like 1

Caesar... it's beginning.

• Like 3