Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ravens remember who tricked them

Still Waters

A small team of researchers from Austria and Sweden has found that ravens are able to remember people who trick them for at least two months. In their paper published in the journal Animal Behavior, the group describes experiments they conducted with the birds and offer some suggestions regarding how the behavior they observed might be useful to the birds in the wild.

Most everyone knows that birds belonging to the corvid family are smart—magpies are notorious for their antics, as are crows. In this new effort, the researchers devised and conducted experiments designed to test whether ravens are capable of understanding different negative behaviors from different people, whether they are able to respond, and if so, for how long.

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-ravens-people-months.html

• Like 3

I raised two magpies a long time ago. I didn`t even know what kind of bird they were till they grew feathers. They new when I went to school and when I would be home. The little b*****s made a bunch of noise for me but nobody else so ya I was the food guy. Magpies, crows and ravens are damn smart birds. this video is cute, and the girl ain`t bad either.

• Like 1

I raised a tiny goldfinch fledgling. As she had been injured in the fall from a nest, she was not released. Over the years, I learned much about her communication as a social support mechanism and conveying emotion. She knew her family and would even examine our hands to see what we might be carrying. Given birds' ancestry, it might be more interesting to find what avian characteristics we possess, rather than what human characteristics birds possess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

I raised a tiny goldfi? nch fledgling. As she had been injured in the fall from a nest, she was not released. Over the years, I learned much about her communication as a social support mechanism and conveying emotion. She knew her family and would even examine our hands to see what we might be carrying. Given birds' ancestry, it might be more interesting to find what avian characteristics we possess, rather than what human characteristics birds possess.

nice man, do you have any videos? was she always kept in cage or she would roam around? 

When I lived up on the mountain there were lots of ravens about.  Furtive but curious, so I  nailed a metal plate to a fence post and had a water bowl and occasional snacks in it .  Then I would dong a bell ( piece of metal hanging there) . Eventually they got it and would come to the bell.  But then other birds figured out what was going on. So the ravens would grab a beak full and go hide it somewhere and come back for more and stash that somewhere. Funny to watch .... I saw one stuff some under a little row of grass clippings from the ride on mower .....    walk away, look back , angle his head , think a bit ,  and come back to it and pick up more clippings to sprinkle over it to hide it better . 

here they got amazing coloured eyes

Image result for australian blue eyed raven

On 6/11/2017 at 0:40 PM, kartikg said:

nice man, do you have any videos? was she always kept in cage or she would roam around? 

Free and caged ... all 9 grams.

meemo.png

• Like 1