Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mark of the Beast

Opus Magnus

Mark of the Beast  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take or receive the mark of the beast six hundred three score and six in your right hand or forehead?

• Yes
    • No

Just wondering, was curious, as to right now, how many people would be willing to take the mark of the beast in their right hands or forehead? 

Here is wisdom, Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six.

Revelation Chapter 13

13 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Just wondering, was curious, as to right now, how many people would be willing to take the mark of the beast in their right hands or forehead? 

Here is wisdom, Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six.

The choice being take the mark or be without any material comforts such as food and a roof over your head, correct?

And this is supposing that you are aware that by taking this mark you are damning yourself?

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much, how it's described in Revelation.

The question to me doesn't make sense, the mark of the beast was the Roman coin.

• Like 5

I don'the see revelations as a prophecy in the real world as it is written. I would consider the mark on the forehead as in mind or thought and the right hand was generally the sword hand so to me that would indicate by action.

jmccr8

• Like 3

if we're assuming a world where this exact interpretation of revelations is reality, then sure. i ain't exactly one of the elect anyhow.

• Like 4

Sure, why not. 

50 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

The question to me doesn't make sense, the mark of the beast was the Roman coin.

I think most modern biblical scholars (ugh.. what a terrible job) contend that the number of the beast is code for Nero. The beast with seven heads being Rome, etc.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 4

Right hand or forehead is not a yes or no question, 

Yes for forehead or hand? 

And wasn't the "number of the beast" actually 616? 

Edited by Redefining Success

I don't see why not. If Christian mythology had any truth to it, we'd know by now. There's a lot of blaspheming going on.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

And wasn't the "number of the beast" actually 616? 

Yes. Papyrus 115, fragments of the earliest known version of revelations from around the 3rd century, gives the number as 616. 

As does the Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus. Dated to around 450. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

Revelation Chapter 13

13 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

And considering this is in the 'Spirituality and Skepticism' board, I feel I can best explain my feelings on this. I didn't participate in this. The main question didn't make sense to me. And I didn't read the bible scriptures. Why would I take the mark of the beast? And I feel, this is a good question to ask in this part of the board. I have no clue. 

9 hours ago, OverSword said:
10 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

The choice being take the mark or be without any material comforts such as food and a roof over your head, correct?

And this is supposing that you are aware that by taking this mark you are damning yourself?

Oh, so this is what all this means? Isn't this like the same as the black box situation, where someone with a black box shows up on your doorstep and says if you press the button someone you don't know dies, but you get your life changed for the ultimate better, (riches, love, the works, just like that) but of course, at the cost of some stranger's death. So a day goes to think about it, and when you press it or not, the stranger comes to retrieve it. Then the stranger tells you, especially if you pressed the button, that you'll get your hearts desire, and now the box goes to someone else, where they can press the button and a stranger to them will die. Which gets the first person to thinking......................... ;)   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And considering this is in the 'Spirituality and Skepticism' board, I feel I can best explain my feelings on this. I didn't participate in this. The main question didn't make sense to me. And I didn't read the bible scriptures. Why would I take the mark of the beast? And I feel, this is a good question to ask in this part of the board. I have no clue. 

Oh, so this is what all this means? Isn't this like the same as the black box situation, where someone with a black box shows up on your doorstep and says if you press the button someone you don't know dies, but you get your life changed for the ultimate better, (riches, love, the works, just like that) but of course, at the cost of some stranger's death. So a day goes to think about it, and when you press it or not, the stranger comes to retrieve it. Then the stranger tells you, especially if you pressed the button, that you'll get your hearts desire, and now the box goes to someone else, where they can press the button and a stranger to them will die. Which gets the first person to thinking......................... ;)   

Well, I guess I just have to say you err a little because you didn't read the scriptures to know what it's about.  A lot of people know about the number without reading the scriptures though, it's a pretty popular idea.  I guess at least 1700 years old, if not older, but nobody seems to agree with how the document really came around.  That's revelation.  Though, all the scriptures together being so old, I think is pretty remarkable anyway, and sort of at least not a self realizing prophecy.  Because in the old testament it prophesized that the jews would be the chosen people, and that the scriptures would be spread through the world with the jews spread out with it.

Well, that came true, whether by God or man, the Jews have been chosen, because their religion is the main chosen world religion, that part of thousands year old prophecy has come true, from the B.C. 

Anyway, I sort of like the black box analogy because, metaphorically it almost lines up with the mark of the beast prophecy.  Honestly, it also reminds me of the myth between Osirus and Set, where Set tempts Osirus to get into a box to get his treasures, but it's a trick and Set chops him up into little pieces to obtain Osirus' birth right.  However his wife, Isis, saves him in the end and after trials Set loses and gets only a little piece of desert, which he's always trying to get back.  After the boat race.

Anyway, yeah, in Revelation, I think it's pretty much the Omega, the end of mankind, where you're either forced to get the mark or get killed.  Though after 42 months, it's in vain anyway, because God plagues everyone with the mark and throws them into the furnace.  There's some other chapters than chapter 13 that has references to the mark of the beast in Revelation.

Edited by Opus Magnus

2 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Well, I guess I just have to say you err a little because you didn't read the scriptures to know what it's about

Does it have to be in the 'Spirituality and Skepticism' board? Ok, *shrugs*, maybe I shouldn't have come into this thread. But then a little heads up that there were scriptures and you had to read them could have been nice. ;) Frankly, though, in my feelings, I didn't err. I didn't think you had to read religious scripture to get the point someone was trying to make. 

(I don't know if you can tell someone they're erring because they didn't read a particular religious scripture)

.  A lot of people know about the number without reading the scriptures though, it's a pretty popular idea.

Really? Who? 

Ok, just so you may not know my history, I was raised secular in the states. No religious building meetings attending each week, and no religious book reading at all growing up. And in the U.S., that's ok. ;)  :tu:  And I do know, I'm not alone. So, it would be acceptable to understand not everyone understands or wish to read the scriptures. Like I said, I probably shouldn't come into this thread, but since it didn't say scriptures to be read in the header, I went in. Now, that we got that squared away.....

I guess at least 1700 years old, if not older, but nobody seems to agree with how the document really came around.  That's revelation.  Though, all the scriptures together being so old, I think is pretty remarkable anyway, and sort of at least not a self realizing prophecy.  Because in the old testament it prophesized that the jews would be the chosen people, and that the scriptures would be spread through the world with the jews spread out with it.

Well, that came true, whether by God or man, the Jews have been chosen, because their religion is the main chosen world religion, that part of thousands year old prophecy has come true, from the B.C. 

Well, I'm kind of gliding over this part, because I never really got that instilled into me. So, how does this explain the 'mark of the beast' thing? I thought the mark of the beast would be some bite or something. How is this relevant to a document? 

Anyway, I sort of like the black box analogy because, metaphorically it almost lines up with the mark of the beast prophecy.  Honestly, it also reminds me of the myth between Osirus and Set, where Set tempts Osirus to get into a box to get his treasures, but it's a trick and Set chops him up into little pieces to obtain Osirus' birth right.  However his wife saves him in the end and after trials Set loses and gets only a little piece of desert, which he's always trying to get back.  After the boat race.

Er, ................. kind of similar. I like the black box analogy, because it makes you think about others when you want so much. Kind of what you do and who you step over to get what you want. Like you pressing that button, you kill someone, and while you enjoy your riches, you may end up enjoying them for a short time while you become someone else's stranger. Actually, I think the black box analogy can be a lesson learning situation. 

Anyway, yeah, in Revelation, I think it's pretty much the Omega, the end of mankind, where you're either forced to get the mark or get killed.  Though after 42 months, it's in vain anyway, because God plagues everyone with the mark and throws them into the furnace.  There's some other chapters than chapter 13 that has references to the mark of the beast in Revelation.

Yeah, sorry, I don't get or understand that. It's like you're screwed no matter what. I prefer a little lesson in the mix. Again, I refer to the black box analogy. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2017 at 0:41 PM, OverSword said:

The mark, whatever it might be, will be something a person takes voluntarily.  They will need it for any kind of commerce.  Food, medication, housing, everything.  Rev 20:4 makes it seem that this will only be the initial price of taking the mark.

I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God.They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

It seems that taking this mark will be seen by God as an act of worship.  What it all reduces to is this - at that time people will no longer be able to sit the fence regarding a decision about God.  They WILL choose one or the other.  The vast majority will apparently choose the man of perdition.  The sad thing is that even though all of this is written and has been known for 2 millennia, and even though the scripture clearly paints a picture of obviously supernatural events occurring during this time, people will STILL reject God.

4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Does it have to be in the 'Spirituality and Skepticism' board? Ok, *shrugs*, maybe I shouldn't have come into this thread. But then a little heads up that there were scriptures and you had to read them could have been nice. ;) Frankly, though, in my feelings, I didn't err. I didn't think you had to read religious scripture to get the point someone was trying to make. 

(I don't know if you can tell someone they're erring because they didn't read a particular religious scripture)

Really? Who? 

Ok, just so you may not know my history, I was raised secular in the states. No religious building meetings attending each week, and no religious book reading at all growing up. And in the U.S., that's ok. ;)  :tu:  And I do know, I'm not alone. So, it would be acceptable to understand not everyone understands or wish to read the scriptures. Like I said, I probably shouldn't come into this thread, but since it didn't say scriptures to be read in the header, I went in. Now, that we got that squared away.....

Well, I'm kind of gliding over this part, because I never really got that instilled into me. So, how does this explain the 'mark of the beast' thing? I thought the mark of the beast would be some bite or something. How is this relevant to a document? 

Er, ................. kind of similar. I like the black box analogy, because it makes you think about others when you want so much. Kind of what you do and who you step over to get what you want. Like you pressing that button, you kill someone, and while you enjoy your riches, you may end up enjoying them for a short time while you become someone else's stranger. Actually, I think the black box analogy can be a lesson learning situation. 

Yeah, sorry, I don't get or understand that. It's like you're screwed no matter what. I prefer a little lesson in the mix. Again, I refer to the black box analogy. 

Yeah, that's why I called it the Omega.  Everyone is pretty much screwed, it's just about the end the of the earth.  It's kind of like the Devil's last stand, and he has his last chance to have fun, and he conquers all the forces of God, but it's in vain, because it only lasts about 42 months, and then the whole world gets ruled with plagues until the earth is completely destroyed.  Anyway, I think it's pretty popular, but some people haven't heard of it.  It's used in a lot of music like Iron Maiden, and stuff.  But, anyway, the book of Revelation isn't that long.  You can read it in one sitting of maybe an hour or an hour and a half.  It's the last book in the Bible.

3 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I was raised secular in the states. No religious building meetings attending each week, and no religious book reading at all growing up.

4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

So, it would be acceptable to understand not everyone understands or wish to read the scriptures.

And that is a valid CHOICE.  As to saying you'd never heard of such a thing... oops... you just DID.  I don't mean to sound combative, really.  It's just that with all the things that will be occurring at that time, it's going to be impossible to plead ignorance.

Just now, Opus Magnus said:

Yeah, that's why I called it the Omega.  Everyone is pretty much screwed, it's just about the end the of the earth.  It's kind of like the Devil's last stand, and he has his last chance to have fun, and he conquers all the forces of God, but it's in vain, because it only lasts about 42 months, and then the whole world gets ruled with plagues until the earth is completely destroyed.  Anyway, I think it's pretty popular, but some people haven't heard of it.  It's used in a lot of music like Iron Maiden, and stuff.  But, anyway, the book of Revelation isn't that long.  You can read it in one sitting of maybe an hour or an hour and a half.  It's the last book in the Bible.

I'm not going to read the bible. I didn't as a kid, and I'm not going to now. It's more than not reading as a child, and that it's something I'm foreign to now. It's also prohibited in my belief system. I would think you could go into explanation without telling someone to read a religious document. Couldn't you? 

Meanwhile, I don't get the thread. Why anyone choose to suffer and to not suffer, is beyond me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, and then said:

And that is a valid CHOICE.  As to saying you'd never heard of such a thing... oops... you just DID. 

You're point? 

I don't mean to sound combative, really.  It's just that with all the things that will be occurring at that time, it's going to be impossible to plead ignorance.

And what is it I'm supposedly pleading ignorance against again? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, and then said:

10 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I was raised secular in the states. No religious building meetings attending each week, and no religious book reading at all growing up.

10 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

So, it would be acceptable to understand not everyone understands or wish to read the scriptures.

And that is a valid CHOICE. 

From growing up through parent's choices. Which I don't blame them, but still through their choices. 

Because, I don't have the time to point it all out.  It's an ultimatum.

And, besides that, I'm not sure it's always a choice.   Something I understood and feared when I was younger, is that they would put you into captivity, and make you take the mark of the beast even if you said no.  I know men will do that kind of stuff and have throughout history.  So, if they want to be evil, they'd get you damned by forcing you to take the mark of the beast.  like an ecclesiasteses.

Also, I wonder why the Babylonians wouldn't have just killed off all the Jews in that time period, and the Assyrians and everything, but they let the weakest of them live after they conquered them, and even gave them homes and vineyards and everything.

Something about God's interference, but I also desire a natural explanation as to why they don't completely raze them over times.  But, I know things God says and in the bible seem to have a certain flexibility, and bad things do occur.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Opus Magnus said:

Because, I don't have the time to point it all out.  It's an ultimatum.

:hmm: Well, first, then you do understand, not everyone will understand it because of not knowing the scriptures and not reading them due to their own beliefs. I would think, that would be expected in this particular forum. And if you need to reach everyone here, going through the work to explain, is probably needed. So, Ok, now......

Thank you for continuing to explain. I appreciate that. Being an ultimatum, kind of what I'm explaining with my analogy? An ultimatum to what? I can't seem to see where the choice is. 

And, besides that, I'm not sure it's always a choice.   Something I understood and feared when I was younger, is that they would put you into captivity, and make you take the mark of the beast even if you said no.  I know men will do that kind of stuff and have throughout history.  So, if they want to be evil, they'd get you damned by forcing you to take the mark of the beast.  like an ecclesiasteses.

Oh dear me!!!!! :o  (again, thank you for going through the trouble for me. :yes: ) I appreciate your honesty into yourself in this. (I wouldn't blame you for thinking this.) 

Are you saying, those who want to be evil, they want to drag others down with them too? 

Also, I wonder why the Babylonians wouldn't have just killed off all the Jews in that time period, and the Assyrians and everything, but they let the weakest of them live after they conquered them, and even gave them homes and vineyards and everything.

I have an understanding how there have been genocidal wars and such and for reasons dealing with fear and power. Frankly, in my feelings, I just consider that horrible. Death and murder to anyone. I still can't get over two young boys murdered, (well it's assumed they were) in the tower, because their uncle wanted to be king. (Yes, Richard the third and the two young princes in the tower) 

Something about God's interference, but I also desire a natural explanation as to why they don't completely raze them over times.  But, I know things God says and in the bible seem to have a certain flexibility, and bad things do occur.

Isn't that with anything, religiously and non-religiously. Horrible things, especially murder, having to be explained away?. Maybe I'm horribly naive, but really, there is no excuse. 

If I'm understanding you correctly........ :blush: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

:hmm: Well, first, then you do understand, not everyone will understand it because of not knowing the scriptures and not reading them due to their own beliefs. I would think, that would be expected in this particular forum. And if you need to reach everyone here, going through the work to explain, is probably needed. So, Ok, now......

Thank you for continuing to explain. I appreciate that. Being an ultimatum, kind of what I'm explaining with my analogy? An ultimatum to what? I can't seem to see where the choice is. 

Oh dear me!!!!! :o  (again, thank you for going through the trouble for me. :yes: ) I appreciate your honesty into yourself in this. (I wouldn't blame you for thinking this.) 

Are you saying, those who want to be evil, they want to drag others down with them too? 

I have an understanding how there have been genocidal wars and such and for reasons dealing with fear and power. Frankly, in my feelings, I just consider that horrible. Death and murder to anyone. I still can't get over two young boys murdered, (well it's assumed they were) in the tower, because their uncle wanted to be king. (Yes, Richard the third and the two young princes in the tower) 

Isn't that with anything, religiously and non-religiously. Horrible things, especially murder, having to be explained away?. Maybe I'm horribly naive, but really, there is no excuse. 

If I'm understanding you correctly........ :blush: 

Anyway, that's most of it, the chapter 13 of revelation i put up there on the first post.  A mark is issued over the world, nobody can buy or sell anything if they don't take the mark.  The mark is of the beast, who is a man, and his name is a number which is six hundred threescore and six.  Nobody rich or poor, free or bond, can buy or sell unless they take the mark on their right hand or in their forehead.  Also, you have to worship the beast and his image or be killed.  Then it goes on in then next chapters about other things, like the only people who don't get the mark are those who take no care for their own lives or their own souls.  It goes on to say those who conquered the beast are saved, but those who take the mark are destined for the furnace that even hell is thrown into, and the oceans and the earth, then there's a new earth and a city on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Opus Magnus said:

Anyway, that's most of it, the chapter 13 of revelation i put up there on the first post.  A mark is issued over the world, nobody can buy or sell anything if they don't take the mark.  The mark is of the beast, who is a man, and his name is a number which is six hundred threescore and six.  Nobody rich or poor, free or bond, can buy or sell unless they take the mark on their right hand or in their forehead.  Also, you have to worship the beast and his image or be killed.  Then it goes on in then next chapters about other things, like the only people who don't get the mark are those who take no care for their own lives or their own souls.  It goes on to say those who conquered the beast are saved, but those who take the mark are destined for the furnace that even hell is thrown into, and the oceans and the earth, then there's a new earth and a city on it.

I'm going to be bit silly and seriously, when I think this might be something that will occur in our future economy. But, that mark of the beast just might end up being barcodes on our foreheads, and the price of them is total dependence on material things that could rule and break you in the end. But, we all have to have those barcodes or we're on the street. What i that is a prediction? 

And if I put your original question into my thought here, would I take the barcode? Something tells me no. 

Is this also about being forced to worship something you don't want to? 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked