Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hitting your car with their car's door

jimrich

I can understand it when cars are parked real close and someone is struggling to get their car door open so they allow it to SLAM against my car BUT, I often wonder if it's just simple carelessness or an act of anger directed at whatever is handy. 

Once while seated in my car in a parking lot, a woman pulled up next to me and her kids rushed to get out but let their door SLAM against my car!  Their mother said nothing to them or me, so I opened my car door and SLAMMED it into their car while muttering "Oops!".   The mother of those careless kids said nothing since I was only returning the favor and she knew it.  I probably should not have retaliated but the kids needed to learn something about being considerate and their mom was not going to teach them anything.  I've seen it over and over where careless, stupid folks allow their car doors to SLAM into neighboring cars with absolutely no remorse or conscience about it.  My parents taught me to be considerate of others property but I guess that is a rare teaching in most societies.  Oh well...........

• Like 6

I agree with your sentiments.

I also hate people who park carelessly and don't try to squeeze into the lines.

But I believe modern cars are a bit larger so it is difficult.

• Like 2

Yes, sloppy parking is annoying!  A guy in our building used to park very sloppy next to me so I "politely" asked him  to park more on his side of the white line and he politely did.  Not sure how to deal with sloppy parking in public, though.

Could always park at the end of the lot, away from the other cars and get an additional bit of exercise.

Other cars denting or scratching yours is very annoying though. Happened recently while I was sitting in the driver's seat, teenager in the car next to me flung open her door, hit mine pretty hard. :angry:

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

I agree with your sentiments.

I also hate people who park carelessly and don't try to squeeze into the lines.

But I believe modern cars are a bit larger so it is difficult.

Ever see a 78 Pontiac Bonneville?  

• Like 5

Now were are talking about my pet peeve!

I've been going to car shows for many years with my 70 Camaro. One time at a major national show my top competitor accidentally let his door swing open and hit my door. The show judge just happened to be there and saw the whole thing. He didn't deduct any points for the small ding, but it used to be perfect! Grrrr

The car I'm talking about.

11834052646_12a36814ef_n.jpg

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I've been going to car shows for many years with my 70 Camaro. One time at a major notional show my top competitor accidentally let his door swing open and hit my door. The show judge just happened to be there and saw the whole thing. He didn't deduct any points for the small ding, but it used to be perfect! Grrrr

It looks like this:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

• Like 3

manners these days, aye.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds messed up but I agree with you. I'm always super careful about getting out of my car when I'm parked close to someone. Once I climbed into my back seat to get out because there was more room there.

What about people who hit your car in a parking lot and leave? I was parked somewhere for an hour and a half and when I got back to my car, I could see that someone tried to either pull into or out of the spot next to me and scratched my car. Scratch went from the back wheel almost to the trunk. I was FURIOUS. Mainly because they didn't even leave a note saying sorry. The damage wasn't bad and I wouldn't have pursued it if they had just left a note saying anything at all. I filed a report out of spite as there are cameras in the parking lot.

So yeah, I agree with you being upset about having a car door slammed into yours.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I hate when people are careless like that,some people just have no consideration for others.I went to walmart like 3 weeks ago and someone parked so close to my boyfriends truck that i could not get the door open enough to get in so he pulled the truck out of the parking space and then i got in.I do not know how they would have managed to get out without hitting our truck so they probably did. I did not hit that persons car at all but the next person probably will if they keep parking like that.

Edited by Jessica28

On 6/9/2017 at 1:32 AM, jimrich said:

I can understand it when cars are parked real close and someone is struggling to get their car door open so they allow it to SLAM against my car BUT, I often wonder if it's just simple carelessness or an act of anger directed at whatever is handy. 

Once while seated in my car in a parking lot, a woman pulled up next to me and her kids rushed to get out but let their door SLAM against my car!  Their mother said nothing to them or me, so I opened my car door and SLAMMED it into their car while muttering "Oops!".   The mother of those careless kids said nothing since I was only returning the favor and she knew it.  I probably should not have retaliated but the kids needed to learn something about being considerate and their mom was not going to teach them anything.  I've seen it over and over where careless, stupid folks allow their car doors to SLAM into neighboring cars with absolutely no remorse or conscience about it.  My parents taught me to be considerate of others property but I guess that is a rare teaching in most societies.  Oh well...........

What I find interesting about that story... is you taught those kids that it's acceptable to be maliciously rude and inconsiderate and purposely harmful in retaliation to a careless inconsiderate act. She might have been simple carelessness, but you chose to do an act of anger.

• Like 3

Car park spaces should be marked out wide enough to at least allow the width of a car with the doors on one side open but developers are now squeezing cars into ridiculously narrow spaces

Drive a cheap car, don't park next to huge car/trucks, and hope for the best.   Also keep a jar of matching touch-up paint and know how to use it.

3 hours ago, rashore said:

What I find interesting about that story... is you taught those kids that it's acceptable to be maliciously rude and inconsiderate and purposely harmful in retaliation to a careless inconsiderate act. She might have been simple carelessness, but you chose to do an act of anger.

Thank you. I was about to make mention of that. This whole "tit-for-tat" mentality is useless and all it truly accomplishes is to demonstrate what sort of person YOU are by retaliating in the same manner.

I don't like it either when someone dings my car but to go and deliberately do the same just perpetuates the anger and animosity and shows that my mindset and behavior is no better than the other person.

As a side note: I have noticed that in order to create fuller parking lots, some places have very narrow spots and the rows are very close together so that backing out is a real challenge.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2

Hmmm... parking lot incidents.

I suspect many of us have experienced this issue to one degree or another, if not multiple times.

And re-striping to fit more spaces-- be it sideways and/or backwards-- sure doesn't help.

But I know the OP is making a point, in their case, about the rudeness or blatant inconsideration that can happen from the offender.

Curiously, as pointed-out by rashore, there was a relaliatory response by the OP----  which of course is 'usually' never a good thing, as the incident can quickly escalate.

Hmmm... I've heard about shootings during "road rage", and wonder to what violent extent "parking-lot rage" have ocurred.

Oh, here's one...

On 6/9/2017 at 0:56 PM, .ZZ. said:

I've been going to car shows for many years with my 70 Camaro. One time at a major national show my top competitor accidentally let his door swing open and hit my door. The show judge just happened to be there and saw the whole thing. He didn't deduct any points for the small ding, but it used to be perfect! Grrrr

The car I'm talking about.

Of course you have a Camaro lol :lol:

Wait - are those Mustang 5 spokes :huh:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Of course you have a Camaro lol :lol:

Wait - are those Mustang 5 spokes :huh:

LOL, you know how to get to a Chevy guy.

They are Boyds 17x8

12025788574_1268d8baf5_z.jpg

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

LOL, you know how to get to a Chevy guy.

They are Boyds 17x8

12025788574_1268d8baf5_z.jpg

Whew. I thought I was going to have to block you lol

They look so similar. As a gearhead, it's a pet-peeve of mine to see mis-matched wheels. So common on restored classics. She's a beauty, man - good for you :gun:

I bet that rumble at idle just makes your day

• Like 1

I've had people do this before. I don't bother making a big deal about it, I take photos of the scratch and the other person's car, photograph their licence plates, and then make an insurance claim. No sense in getting up in someone's shitmosphere about it.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:38 AM, Ryu said:

Thank you. I was about to make mention of that. This whole "tit-for-tat" mentality is useless and all it truly accomplishes is to demonstrate what sort of person YOU are by retaliating in the same manner.

I don't like it either when someone dings my car but to go and deliberately do the same just perpetuates the anger and animosity and shows that my mindset and behavior is no better than the other person.

As a side note: I have noticed that in order to create fuller parking lots, some places have very narrow spots and the rows are very close together so that backing out is a real challenge.

So, slashing their tires would be off limits, in your opinion? :w00t:

• Like 1

This is the exact reason why I never go for the 'good' parking spots. Regardless this did happen to me years ago but it happened to my truck which needs to be painted anyway so I wasn't too upset. Also the woman immediately owned up and asked what I wanted to do so that was cool.

I've been backed into a couple times but luckily my vehicles came out unscathed each time. First time was actually my dads Chevy 1500, we were parked at home depot. I was sitting passenger waiting for him to get back when a minivan backs into us and drives off quickly. He didn't even really hit the truck, left his paint on the giant ball hitch. The second time I was with some friends again as a passenger. My friend was backing out of his garage into his driveway when he backs his Grand Marquis into my F150 with diamond plate bumpers. My truck was completely fine and his car had the nastiest gash spanning his rear driver pillar (whatever that's called?c pillar?). It looked like someone took a chainsaw to his car. Best part was he tried blaming it on me, but in his defence we were teenagers.

Edited by internetperson

On 6/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, WoIverine said:

Could always park at the end of the lot, away from the other cars and get an additional bit of exercise.

Other cars denting or scratching yours is very annoying though. Happened recently while I was sitting in the driver's seat, teenager in the car next to me flung open her door, hit mine pretty hard. :angry:

What did you say excersice, you monster :rolleyes: lol

Everyone knows you should spend 5 minuets looking for a closer parking spot so thst you don't have to walk that extra 2 feet 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Everyone knows you should spend 5 minuets looking for a closer parking spot so thst you don't have to walk that extra 2 feet 

lol, shhh, man...you'll give it away, they're not supposed to know! :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I walk an average of 8 miles a day, year round, but I'm still guilty of this^ ;)  That's funny, but I think it's something inherent in many drivers these days.  It's kind of a competition, I guess.  It isn't really the distance walked, it's the PRINCIPLE  of it! :w00t:

• Like 1