Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive blaze in London, U.K. high-rise

Likely Guy

I saw on Sky that 50 people have been taken to hospital, but that's some refrigerator that can cause a fire like that in what, 5 minutes? It couldn't have taken the fire department that long to get there. Saw no report on how fully engaged it was when they arrived on the scene.

• Like 1

Just now, Eldorado said:

30 people have been taken to hospitals.

I hope that's it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

30 people have been taken to hospitals.

I stand corrected El. Sky's website is also saying 30.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Camarel said:

How could they know what started it before being able to go in and investigate? Witnesses or what? 

I was wondering that too. Unless there was an eye witness report maybe?

• Like 3

People are probably saying all kinds of things right now. The only person who could mention an appliance, I would think, would be the person in who's apartment the fire started.

• Like 2

From the latest update on the Guardian page posted 4 minutes ago:

The brigade was called at 0054 and is still at the scene. Fire crews from North Kensington, Kensington, Hammersmith and Paddington and from surrounding fire stations are in attendance. The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.

That's a statement from the Fire Brigade.

Edited by Camarel
  • Like 3

Does anyone know the age of the structure?  What kinds of renovations were done?  I've never heard of a refrigerator exploding and causing a fire.  Especially one that seems to have spread so fast.  I hope that the work crews that did the renovations aren't responsible for this tragedy.  

It seems there were many warnings and no action to correct the situation.  Those who are injured should have legal recourse against the owners.  If anyone dies, they should be held CRIMINALLY liable!

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Does anyone know the age of the structure?  What kinds of renovations were done?  I've never heard of a refrigerator exploding and causing a fire.  Especially one that seems to have spread so fast.  I hope that the work crews that did the renovations aren't responsible for this tragedy.  

Wiki says it was completed in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, and then said:

It was built in 1974. There's already a wiki page for the fire which mentions a similar fire in 2009 which apparently shocked firefighters at how fast it was spread. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

• Like 4

If you read the wiki link I posted above, it says some guys said it was a toaster that exploded. WTH? This was a concrete building?

he cause of the fire has not yet been determined.[1] Multiple media outlets have reported it was possibly caused by an exploding appliance. A fourth-floor resident told Sky News that it was his neighbour's toaster that exploded around 1:00 a.m., and that they immediately began knocking on doors and trying to alert people. He said that within half an hour, the building was entirely engulfed in flames.[2] The Grenfellactiongroup posted numerous concerns on their blog concerning the major risk of fire

FOX is reporting again that it started on the 26th floor?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

If you read the wiki link I posted above, it says some guys said it was a toaster that exploded. WTH? This was a concrete building?

Missed that. That sounds pretty plausible to me if it did actually come from someone in the building; apparently the person started knocking on doors to warn people.

The source for that takes you to this live Sky News stream on Youtube right now - 

Just now, Kismit said:

Where there no sprinklers or alarms?

I saw or heard no mention of any. I'm just totally baffled that a small appliance could start a fire of this magnitude. 

• Like 3

Again all I know if it was a local fire in a room, maintenance would have been there on the spot   it seems this person in the room had the ideology of being  suicidal , would `nt  just let it go and take over the building.,which brings  me to a terrorism ideology

Edited by docyabut2

1 hour ago, susieice said:

OMG. How can a fire spread that quickly? Those poor people didn't have much of a chance to realize what was going on before the fire was fully engaged. If those reports I found are true, it was known there was a serious danger of fire in this building. I don't want to put a lot of credit into them because it really isn't fair to report this and assume things before an actual cause is determined. That may take a couple days, or weeks.

Those kinds of places, I'm afraid could have been designed to encourage fires to spread as quickly as possible. You can see how it went right up the stairwells, which literally just act as smokestacks once an updraught gets going. Safety is entirely dependent on the security of fire doors , fire detectors and sprinklers etc, and with management of these places always at arms length (there's always some kind of contractor or Housing Association or whatever thyat's supposedly responsible for maintenance and upkeep, rather than the city authority directly) supervision that this is all done properly (or even done at all) can be rather arm's length too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Again all I know if it was a local fire in a room, maintenance would have been there on the spot   it seems this person in the room had the ideology of being  suicidal , would  just let it go and take over the building.,which being me to a terrorism ideology

You know this, really?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

FOX is now reporting on it and they said they were told the fire started on the 26th floor and moved down.

Fire goes up usually. Fox, I suspect, have it back to front as they always do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

How does a fire spread like that these days? I can't help but think arson. I've seen a number of fires, mostly from kitchens, in apartment buildings and while they do damage they typically don't spread too far before firefighters get there. Smoke and water does most of the collateral damage. A building like that I would assume to be mostly concrete and plaster. Essentially fire proof. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll await details.

An old building, perhaps questionably maintained, full of no doubt highly inflammable furnishings etc? 

• Like 3

With all this terrorism going on in the UK ,one wonders want in  the hell is going on:( my heart is breaking to see so many lost:(

Edited by docyabut2

Awful news - my thoughts are with the people there and hoping for the best possible outcome.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Except the person who reported it started from a toaster said the person whose apartment it started in was banging on his neighbours doors warning them. Kind blows a whole in your theory, but yeah terrorists.

• Like 2