Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive blaze in London, U.K. high-rise

Likely Guy

Just now, seeder said:

3 times now youve posted that!!!

The forum is being wonky 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Oddly... during the BBC Live feed one young woman started ranting that "you are all blaming the muslims for this fire, saying we caused it on purpose" - first I had ever heard of this-then on a later replay the BBC edited out that part of her rant but let her carry on with her anti-govt ranting? Does this make sense to anyone?? The BBC seem entirely supportive of all the rent-a-crowd mob, giving their far-left anti-democratic viewpoints as much air-time as they want without ever wondering who these people are.

I see Corbyn wants all of the empty apartments and houses in the Boro' confiscated, irrespective of whether they are being redecorated, are holiday homes in private hands, or owned by businesses for visiting overseas staff. Is there no end to this mans envy of success?? In other news, people in other boro's on council waiting lists are asking why is it that they have been on waiting lists for accommodation for several years with no hope, yet so many in Grenfell Towers had only been in the country for a few months... just saying.  .

Corbyns rent-a-mob are involved.

https://order-order.com/

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

3 times now youve posted that!!!

I think he was trying to make a point:

All right already keithisco, we got it the first time.

• Like 3

Steady on UM'ers...:P just checking my "UM Instruction Manual" to resolve the triple post enigma...

In other news (and you wont believe this)

A man has been jailed after admitting posting photos of a Grenfell Tower fire victim on Facebook after opening body bags.

Omega Mwaikambo, 43, pleaded guilty to two offences contrary to section 127 of the Communications Act, Scotland Yard said.

Read More from Metro:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Oddly... during the BBC Live feed one young woman started ranting that "you are all blaming the muslims for this fire, saying we caused it on purpose" - first I had ever heard of this-then on a later replay the BBC edited out that part of her rant but let her carry on with her anti-govt ranting? Does this make sense to anyone?? The BBC seem entirely supportive of all the rent-a-crowd mob, giving their far-left anti-democratic viewpoints as much air-time as they want without ever wondering who these people are.

I see Corbyn wants all of the empty apartments and houses in the Boro' confiscated, irrespective of whether they are being redecorated, are holiday homes in private hands, or owned by businesses for visiting overseas staff. Is there no end to this mans envy of success?? In other news, people in other boro's on council waiting lists are asking why is it that they have been on waiting lists for accommodation for several years with no hope, yet so many in Grenfell Towers had only been in the country for a few months... just saying.  .

No pun intended. the BBC without doubt are fanning the flames.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keithisco said:

A man has been jailed after admitting posting photos of a Grenfell Tower fire victim on Facebook after opening body bags.

Omega Mwaikambo, 43, pleaded guilty to two offences contrary to section 127 of the Communications Act, Scotland Yard said.

Read More from Metro:

yes I saw that, he should have called the police to ask them to get it removed, not go to social media and certainly NOT open the body bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

So the Ethiopean taxi driver murdered his wife and set fire to his flat, making up the fridge story? 

Or he was telling the truth .......    Mr Ockams shaving device applies.

Obviously, if he was not telling the truth, the fire investigators will soon find out.

Like you i don't know.

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

yes I saw that, he should have called the police to ask them to get it removed, not go to social media and certainly NOT open the body bag.

very weird thing to do isnt it?   Id never even want to look in a bodybag....theres a big clue why in the name....body bag!

Bloody hell ... then take photos for facebook? what a bloody creepy man

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone has posted this already but this story of survival just blew me away. 

FIRE HERO CAUGHT TOT ‘LIKE A RUGBY BALL’

As London authorities continue the grim search for missing residents, new details have emerged of the incredible moment a hero caught his neighbour’s four-year-old girl when she was flung from the burning Grenfell Tower block.

The Mirror reports locals told of how one mum on the fifth floor was screaming for help from her window with a young girl in her arms.

Kadelia Woods, 20, told The Mirror: “The mum was screaming and the fire was raging like crazy.”

A neighbour named Pat stepped up and urged the mum to drop her girl, she said.

“Pat was calling: ‘Drop her, I’ll catch her’.

“The mum was screaming: ‘No, no, I can’t!’

“Pat kept reassuring her and then the girl dropped.

“Everyone’s hearts stopped but Pat managed to catch her like a rugby ball tucked into his chest.”

Ms Woods said she doesn’t believe the girl’s mother survived.

The girl and Pat, who is believed to be in his 40s, were taken to hospital.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/fears-death-toll-of-grenfell-tower-fire-will-rise-above-100-as-a-public-inquiry-is-ordered/news-story/31a753ee995c4992224178d4cda287d5

• Like 6

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this already but this story of survival just blew me away. 

As London authorities continue the grim search for missing residents, new details have emerged of the incredible moment a hero caught his neighbour’s four-year-old girl when she was flung from the burning Grenfell Tower block.

The Mirror reports locals told of how one mum on the fifth floor was screaming for help from her window with a young girl in her arms.

Kadelia Woods, 20, told The Mirror: “The mum was screaming and the fire was raging like crazy.”

“Everyone’s hearts stopped but Pat managed to catch her like a rugby ball tucked into his chest.”

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/fears-death-toll-of-grenfell-tower-fire-will-rise-above-100-as-a-public-inquiry-is-ordered/news-story/31a753ee995c4992224178d4cda287d5

yeh I posted one like that...but a man caught a baby from the tenth floor in my link....I think any of us would have done that

well....so I like to think....I know I would.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Are you trying to be obtuse as possible? There are windows, which could be opened, and undoubtedly many were. Equally it would have gone up the stairwell internally, and gone into the flats that way.

The tower fire hasn't even been properly investigated let and no doubt will be the subject of a royal commission. So please, spare us all your "official" excuses for the fire. We are not talking about the moon landings of alien abductions but a fire that shouldn't have had the effect it did. The majority of the residents were Muslims. They were awake during the time breaking fast during their Ramadan celebrations. Its not like the fire went un-noticed and caught the residents by surprise. The fire services were very quick to get there and then the building just went up, completely outta control. Fire chiefs also share my shock for the fires rapid growth. Describing the rate of the fire as unprecedented. 

Questions are growing about how the flames spread so quickly, engulfing the tower’s 120 apartments in what fire chiefs said was an unprecedented blaze.

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

yeh I posted one like that...but a man caught a baby from the tenth floor in my link....I think any of us would have done that

well....so I like to think....I know I would.

Goes without saying. Such an incredible act of faith and love from the mother. That man should have his galant act officially acknowledged.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The tower fire hasn't even been properly investigated let and no doubt will be the subject of a royal commission. So please, spare us all your "official" excuses for the fire. We are not talking about the moon landings of alien abductions but a fire that shouldn't have had the effect it did. The majority of the residents were Muslims. They were awake during the time breaking fast during their Ramadan celebrations. Its not like the fire went un-noticed and caught the residents by surprise. The fire services were very quick to get there and then the building just went up, completely outta control. Fire chiefs also share my shock for the fires rapid growth. Describing the rate of the fire as unprecedented. 

Questions are growing about how the flames spread so quickly, engulfing the tower’s 120 apartments in what fire chiefs said was an unprecedented blaze.

What are trying to say here Captain Risky?

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

What are trying to say here Captain Risky?

Its too early to rule out foul play such as arson. Equally, it could also have been a series of unfortunate events. But one thing is for sure fires like this don't happen every day cause of a refrigerator or external cladding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Its too early to rule out foul play such as arson. Equally, it could also have been a series of unfortunate events. But one thing is for sure fires like this don't happen every day cause of a refrigerator or external cladding.

Really? 

What did you mean by this? 

21 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The majority of the residents were Muslims. They were awake during the time breaking fast during their Ramadan celebrations. Its not like the fire went un-noticed and caught the residents by surprise.

I really curious as to what that's supposed to mean.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

But one thing is for sure fires like this don't happen every day cause of a refrigerator or external cladding.

Ive already posted links that say fridge fires are VERY COMMON!!!

and thats from the fire brigade

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seeder said:

Ive already posted links that say fridge fires are VERY COMMON!!!

and thats from the fire brigade

Im sure they are common but burning down entire apartment buildings? Anyway i have provided a link to what fire chiefs say was a rapid burn that made little sense. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

This is what i would expect - children to be saved first..Not parents getting out without child.

• Like 4

I think they are going to find that exposed gas pipes that hadn't yet been recovered played a big part but just a guess.  Truly a horrifying catastrophe and a terrible way to die unless the smoke gets you first.  Why there wasn't a requirement in place to install sprinklers in all these older building is a big question.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Some more details on the cladding:

Grenfell Tower fire: Cladding used on block 'was banned in US'

"Cladding believed to have been used on Grenfell Tower is banned in the US, it has emerged, amid revelations that it would have cost just £5,000 extra for the contractors to apply a fire-resistant version of panelling to the building."

"The panels believed to have been fitted to the outside of Grenfell Tower are produced by US company Reynobond, which makes three types of panel: one with a flammable plastic core and two with fire-resistant cores. 

It is thought that contractors chose the cheaper, more combustible version for Grenfell, which has a polyethylene core and is known as PE."

"He said the PE version is used for small commercial buildings and petrol stations, rather than for tower blocks or major public buildings such as hospitals, adding: “It’s because of the fire and smoke spread. The FR [variant] is fire-resistant. The PE is just plastic.""

I guess it comes down to who will get the finger of blame pointed at them ultimately. The contractor for going for the cheaper option, even though it doesn't seem to be in breach of building regs? The council for no doubt squeezing bidding contractors for every saved penny? Or the associated government department for not having stricter building regs in the first place?

It's a mess.

I also meant to quote the post that said the siding (sorry guys, can't get used to this cladding word) they used was $2 cheaper per square meter. That might sound small but in large quantities it is not. Here in America we price siding per square and a square is 100 square feet (10'x10' area) so I estimate that to be about 33 square meters. In my eyes that's $66 more per square which is about twice as much as the cheapest vinyl siding I use which is just about $65 per square. That puts material costs into a whole new ball park. Just saying in large quantities the numbers are quite a bit more to consider than just seeing a measley $2 savings headline.

Now, I'm not excusing what happened. Considering a $10m renovation and the product used is highly unrecommended, even if not against code, it should have never been given as an option in the first place. If the contractor was smart he'd have had whoever was in charge of the project sign a bulletproof waiver of responsibility for the contractor for using the material. 

**I know I used $ instead of £**

• Like 3

There are still twenty five  families missing, I wouldn't rule out terrorism  until  all that facts are found  out  

7 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I think they are going to find that exposed gas pipes that hadn't yet been recovered played a big part but just a guess.  Truly a horrifying catastrophe and a terrible way to die unless the smoke gets you first.  Why they wasn't a requirement in place to install sprinklers in all these older building is a big question.

Because it was voted down Merc.That's why. It was recomended by a coroner's report but it was considered to be an uneccesary hindereance to the home building industry. But the government's line, at least that of its Housing Minister was that it wasn't bysiness of the Government but of the fire industry to promote their products better. There was no central fire alarm either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Because it was voted down Merc.That's why. It was recomended by a coroner's report but it was considered to be an uneccesary hindereance to the home building industry. But the government's line, at least that of its Housing Minister was that it wasn't bysiness of the Government but of the fire industry to promote their products better. There was no central fire alarm either. 

Unbelievable. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I think they are going to find that exposed gas pipes that hadn't yet been recovered played a big part but just a guess.  Truly a horrifying catastrophe and a terrible way to die unless the smoke gets you first.  Why they wasn't a requirement in place to install sprinklers in all these older building is a big question.

The answer to that big question is: Money.

• Like 1

IMG_7935.PNG.04365f1bdb81663310c09348f5cfa96f.PNG

It actually looked like a nice building after the refurb. But that is a huge amount of square footage. I'm having a hard time believing that it would've costed only £5000 more to use something that costed £2 more per square meter.

edit: but if the stuff was that flammable I can now see how it would've gone up so quickly seeing how it's all connected the way it is. I had envisioned something entirely different in my head prior to this.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2