Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giving personalities to toys that look real

Trisha Garuav

How common is to give personalities to toys that look like they're really alive? My brother and I couldn't have been the only ones who did this.

OWgVSGmb.jpg

Orangestripes: A cowardly, evil, lazy British tiger

mUKAsJKb.jpg

Smart Dog: A British “mad genius” dog

TXzhqQHb.png

Spot: A dog that goes “woh” and each series of barks translates to a sentence. The only non-talking character

DgpaLqqb.jpg

Brownspot: A wise British dog

RPOLYhnb.jpg

Scruffy: A 4-year-old puppy

yEIPCrml.jpg

Emily: A female dog

FwwH9aIb.png

Truffles: A female dog

Wkr9Pe6b.jpg

Hal: A dog whose catchphrase is “yo, bro”

NSMEit2b.jpg

Dumb Donkey: A derpy donkey with a Southern accent

So15kiSl.jpg

Shy Pony: A female pony

dqi0oet65x0z.jpg

Grampa: An elderly dog with a Southern accent

• Like 3

I have a very big purple bear called.Jack, he has opinions about everything and we.love cuddling when hubby works night shift. We have long.conversations based on him listening and me talking.  Cool dude my friend Jack

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

OWgVSGmb.jpg

This is Orangestripes, my cowardly, evil, lazy tiger with a British accent. In 2008 he made me and my brother his slaves and his favorite thing to say was "Carry me, slaves".  I haven't gotten over my stuffed animals. He's on my bed right now. He's on his right side, so I think he's sleeping. :lol:

• Like 2

This is an amazing topic. I'll see if I can find a picture of Boris.

Edited by Timonthy
Also, welcome to UM.
  • Like 2

This is pretty much what the animation and toy industry does , they start with the story and design the character around it and also give it a personality . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kartikg said:

This is pretty much what the animation and toy industry does , they start with the story and design the character around it and also give it a personality . 

But they don't pretend to have conversations with  the characters, do they?

35 minutes ago, Trisha Garuav said:

But they don't pretend to have conversations with  the characters, do they?

I don't know. maybe they don't

A lot of time talking to a stuffed animal can be therapeutic in a way. You can get things off your mind so to speak. Only thing I'd worry about is if you expect an actual response from them, that would be worrisome. I talk to my cat quite often, she just looks at me, meows and give me that "Pet/feed me human" look.:lol:

• Like 3

There is a book about this. It's called The Nature of Things: The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects.

I thought it was interesting. It covers toys, creepy statues, family heirlooms, pictures etc. A little bit of everything.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of time talking to a stuffed animal can be therapeutic in a way. You can get things off your mind so to speak. Only thing I'd worry about is if you expect an actual response from them, that would be worrisome. I talk to my cat quite often, she just looks at me, meows and give me that "Pet/feed me human" look.:lol:

13 hours ago, Trisha Garuav said:

OWgVSGmb.jpg

This is Orangestripes, my cowardly, evil, lazy tiger with a British accent. In 2008 he made me and my brother his slaves and his favorite thing to say was "Carry me, slaves".  I haven't gotten over my stuffed animals. He's on my bed right now. He's on his right side, so I think he's sleeping. :lol:

Yeah... we used to have conversations with our stuffed animals.

I think we've all given personalities to our stuffed animals, even our toys. It's a social development thing.

• Like 4

As an adult, I'm not ashamed to admit that I do such a thing.

Although as an a kid, I don't remember if I actually gave mine personalities. However I was really attached to them, and they were an accessory to me, and my friends when I was in elementary school.

• Like 3

I used to have a My Buddy Doll, I gave it a name and even talked to it from time to time, even told it secrets. It's normal and a part of social development just like when children have imaginary friends. 

• Like 3

When I was a kid and I got a new stuffed animal, I would always remove the tag because I thought the plastic thing that attached it was hurting the stuffed animal. Say, it was in the ear, for instance. I'd remove it and then rub the ear and say something like...that feels better now, doesn't it?

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

When I was a kid and I got a new stuffed animal, I would always remove the tag because I thought the plastic thing that attached it was hurting the stuffed animal. Say, it was in the ear, for instance. I'd remove it and then rub the ear and say something like...that feels better now, doesn't it?

I removed the labels immediately as well, but that's because I had this OCD thing going on. I never really gave my stuffed animals or other toys names or personalities, but like you, did take care not to hurt them in any way. My parents stopped allowing me to take my cuddly toys on flights because I would freak every time they went through the scanners thinking they would be damaged by radiation or something. I've had a few tug of wars with security over it, and my last meltdown was at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, so you can well imagine how that went down.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

i named a sea turtle i got at the aquarium of the pacific when I was 7 Junior Awesome and i still have the little guy

• Like 1

Lol i thought we were weird, my fiance has a stuffed rabbit from childhood that is part of the family.

Its interesting how he never breaks character no matter who is talkimg for him...

Our very own tulpa!!