Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did the Sun once have a companion star ?

UM-Bot

I do recall reading that our sun had, and may still have, a companion star. Furthermore I had read that our solar system revolves around other systems so that everything is in constant motion, like the tiny gears of a very intricate watch.

I found this article and while six years old it has a lot of interesting info and a cool video that explains much. (It's a bit brainy but you get the gist of it)

https://www.sott.net/article/230480-Is-the-Sun-Part-of-a-Binary-Star-System-Six-Reasons-to-Consider

At any rate I see no reason why our sun wouldn't have a companion (i.e a binary system) as this seems to be a very common occurrence.

Very interesting indeed.

• Like 2

my first thought was they must merge together to form one sun , but the article says the twin sun drifts away into the galaxy . wandering stars 

• Like 2

I get confused with all the theories surrounding extra solar bodies of our planetary system's past, present and future.  There's this Nemisis star, possibly a now brown dwarf star, that this article mentions that has mysteriously wandered off into the cosmos, or is hiding out in the Oort Cloud somewhere.  Then there's that Planet X theory...which I think is the same as Nibiru but I'm not sure, that we keep hearing about that will wipe out humanity in the next month, year or decade.  Of course these predictions follow the previous thousand+ predictions of Earth's demise by this mysterious planetary body.  Then there's  the Immanuel Velikovsky's theory on past planetary collisions that doesn't follow Newtonian physics... Oh, and there's also a claim out there that there's a second sun (which some call Nemisis I think) hiding behind our own sun in perfect orbit such that we can never see it...and there's continuous predictions that it will become visible to use at any time.  Geez, and it gets even weirder from there on theories that I won't even go into.

All these claims seem a little off the wall and I wonder if people are just trying to get a little fame out of them.  No way the prove the past claims, no sign of them in the present and no accurate predictions of the future...so how can we take them seriously?  *shrug*  Maybe we're not suppose to...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noxasa said:

I get confused with all the theories surrounding extra solar bodies of our planetary system's past, present and future.  There's this Nemisis star, possibly a now brown dwarf star, that this article mentions that has mysteriously wandered off into the cosmos, or is hiding out in the Oort Cloud somewhere.  Then there's that Planet X theory...which I think is the same as Nibiru but I'm not sure, that we keep hearing about that will wipe out humanity in the next month, year or decade.  Of course these predictions follow the previous thousand+ predictions of Earth's demise by this mysterious planetary body.  Then there's  the Immanuel Velikovsky's theory on past planetary collisions that doesn't follow Newtonian physics... Oh, and there's also a claim out there that there's a second sun (which some call Nemisis I think) hiding behind our own sun in perfect orbit such that we can never see it...and there's continuous predictions that it will become visible to use at any time.  Geez, and it gets even weirder from there on theories that I won't even go into.

All these claims seem a little off the wall and I wonder if people are just trying to get a little fame out of them.  No way the prove the past claims, no sign of them in the present and no accurate predictions of the future...so how can we take them seriously?  *shrug*  Maybe we're not suppose to...

Yes, same goes for theories on how our moon came to be, not to mention black holes, and basically everything else in the universe including life itself.  But it is fun to consider them no matter how outrageous.

could we not create a plausible time line ie four billion years ago, just saying. And then look at the stars that are that far away?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Supertypo said:

could we not create a plausible time line ie four billion years ago, just saying. And then look at the stars that are that far away?

Sounds nice.

Is Jupiter still thought to be an a star that did not ignite?  If so, maybe our binary didn't form properly.

• Like 1

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA.
ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.