Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

196 dems to sue Trump over emoluments clause

Farmer77

On 2017-06-14 at 5:32 PM, .ZZ. said:

This has been brought up before, POTUS is exempt as far as I know.

There is an obscure clause in Article I of the Constitution that says:

[N]o Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States], shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

The language is interpreted as prohibiting the president (and other office holders) from accepting a payment, gift or other benefit from a foreign state without the consent of Congress. The Democratic members of the House and Senate who filed the suit are arguing that they have been deprived of their constitutional right to rule on whether Trump can accept such benefits from foreign governments.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Making a profit off of your title as POTUS by doubling your membership fees and raising rental rates after receiving such title, while drawing the business of foreign leaders whom otherswise would have spent their money elsewhere is quite a bit different than receiving a gift from a head of state in the open and on the record. 

But it`s ok for the Clintons to steal millions if not billions useing a so called non profit charity. Uh hu. Trump is a brand name and his kids now run it all. What should Trump do, fire his kids for running his company`s while he`s at work making 400 k a year running a nation. If he makes a deal say with China Russia or Canada is that wrong. Do you think he needs money in his wallet. Let`s crack the egg and find out what`s in it before we start a crap storm over nothing.

14 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Where did the Statue of Liberty come from, where did the Eiffel tower come from.

Was that bribery

3 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

I'm going by my memory observations about executive orders not searches.

Carter wasn't liked very much by either  party, he was the outsider peanut farmer, who's big scandal to the press was his beer drinking brother. Wow, he confessed to adultry, because being a religious man, he believed he sinned by lust of the mind when weak. LOL. I really think he was elected because he was an honest and ethical man who is wanted to do so much for America and the voters have him that chance. He didn't like to play old politics of pork in bills to get them passed. He was weak in political influences and used executive orders. His big downfall to the average American was the gas crisis and waiting in long lines for fuel. 

Reagan was like Carter in a way being considered a Washington outsider, only he was a Republican. He was an actor but had dealt with politics of the actors guild and being a Governor. He surrounded himself by people who knew their jobs and was a great negotiator, because he listened to both sides and had big dreams for America and the world. He wasn't a micro manager of his staff. 

As I look at prior winners of elections, I noticed the trend that we go from those considered outsiders to Washington  politicians from each party then back to an outsider! 

It seems to me that executive orders are something to use if it's an emergency situation, something that needs to happen fast,  or the president is politically weak. You get more of them at end of term such as in Obama's last term. They were out of desperation to protect parks, and American Indian concerns  etc. 

It still seems weird to me for a new president to do so many executive orders. 

Most presidents also do the majority of pardons and immunity at the end of term. I think that's because they are going out office and do the more politically controversial actions at the end of term.

Just my observations of the administrations of the past.

Good stuff.   Except that going back through the last 4 presidents, they didn't really do much more on their last year.

Obama:

Year                  Total
2009     39
2010     35
2011     34
2012     38
2013     21
2014     31
2015     28
2016     41
2017     8
Total    

• Like 1

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

But it`s ok for the Clintons to steal millions if not billions useing a so called non profit charity. Uh hu. Trump is a brand name and his kids now run it all. What should Trump do, fire his kids for running his company`s while he`s at work making 400 k a year running a nation. If he makes a deal say with China Russia or Canada is that wrong. Do you think he needs money in his wallet. Let`s crack the egg and find out what`s in it before we start a crap storm over nothing.

Nope its not OK . Look I get the republican anger that their guy (although if they would get over their hatred of the other side they might see that trump isnt really a republican)  is the one being held to standards and what not but damn, are the clintons the standard you want your elected officials to have to live up to? 

No i dont think he needs money in his wallet but I think we have several decades of history to prove he desperately wants more money in his wallet. 

The lawsuit is how the egg is getting cracked. 

3 minutes ago, Claire. said:

There is an obscure clause in Article I of the Constitution that says:

[N]o Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States], shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

The language is interpreted as prohibiting the president (and other office holders) from accepting a payment, gift or other benefit from a foreign state without the consent of Congress. The Democratic members of the House and Senate who filed the suit are arguing that they have been deprived of their constitutional right to rule on whether Trump can accept such benefits from foreign governments.

Cool, do you personally think this rises to the level of "high crimes or misdemeanors"

Do we really want to remove a sitting POTUS over hotel rooms?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

Cool, do you personally think this rises to the level of "high crimes or misdemeanors"

Do we really want to remove a sitting POTUS over hotel rooms?

It's not just about hotel rooms. It's about having the certainty that the president's decisions are made with the interests of the public in mind, not personal profit. And to be honest, until we have total transparency when it comes to his tax returns, we will never know for certain just how much (if at all) his decisions are influenced by the latter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Nope its not OK . Look I get the republican anger that their guy (although if they would get over their hatred of the other side they might see that trump isnt really a republican)  is the one being held to standards and what not but damn, are the clintons the standard you want your elected officials to have to live up to? 

No i dont think he needs money in his wallet but I think we have several decades of history to prove he desperately wants more money in his wallet. 

The lawsuit is how the egg is getting cracked

I can tell you what`s inside the egg. It sounds like, yoke. I agree Trump plays middle field he`s left and right.  Im niether left or right, some things I like and some I don`t. However this is a snipe hunt.

• Like 2

What do you all think the next charges thrown at Trump will be? If none of these newer one pan out, what's going to be next? You know somewhere there is an office, hell maybe a whole building where people work on what's to come next. Throw one thing after another at him. Something has to stick eventually. Right. I wonder if Vagas has an odds list. 

Just now, Why not said:

What do you all think the next charges thrown at Trump will be? If none of these newer one pan out, what's going to be next? You know somewhere there is an office, hell maybe a whole building where people work on what's to come next. Throw one thing after another at him. Something has to stick eventually. Right. I wonder if Vagas has an odds list. 

Well in a mud fight some stickes and some doesn`t but the msm is brutal towards Trump. What`s next for Trump hmmmm he beats his children or something.

Just now, Why not said:

I honestly think if he beats the Russia thing, beats the obstruction thing and beats the emoluments thing AND doesnt do anything else which looks as shady as the aforementioned then the dems will back down and wait the 6 weeks left in his term out :lol:

Well in a mud fight some stickes and some doesn`t but the msm is brutal towards Trump. What`s next for Trump hmmmm he beats his children or something.

Honesty is sometimes brutal ;)

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Honesty is sometimes brutal ;)

How do I take that, was that a joke or do you think he beats his children.  One man`s lie is another man`s truth. Thats why we have courts, that look at evidience not assumption.

How do I take that, was that a joke or do you think he beats his children.  One man`s lie is another man`s truth. Thats why we have courts, that look at evidience not assumption.

Well ii really wasnt referring to the children part, just the media being brutal. I follow ALL news media closely and foxnews is reporting the exact same things all the others are. Theyre not lying, theyre not making this stuff up. This administration , regardless of whether theyre truly corrupt or not, is so horribly flawed the little good it has done is drowned out by all the mistakes, missteps and bizarre behavior.  Thats not the media's fault, it falls squarely on the guy in charge of the circus. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Well ii really wasnt referring to the children part, just the media being brutal. I follow ALL news media closely and foxnews is reporting the exact same things all the others are. Theyre not lying, theyre not making this stuff up. This administration , regardless of whether theyre truly corrupt or not, is so horribly flawed the little good it has done is drowned out by all the mistakes, missteps and bizarre behavior.  Thats not the media's fault, it falls squarely on the guy in charge of the circus. 

If the job of Jurnalism was left to Trump that would be a fulltime job and one very frowned apon for a president to do. Let`s take a look at msm and it`s ratings over the years, cnn sucks, msnbc sucks most all suck. I watch Chris Tucker from time to time and since he took over for Bill O`Reiley the show has really done good. I`m suprised the left hasen`t shut it down yet. Not that I take Alex Jones at his word but his ratings are better than Megyn Kelly lol  Now why is that, it`s because we no longer trust msm.  The msm media has shot themselves in the foot and it`s not due to Trump. 

• Like 1

Now if Trump really screws the pooch I will be the first to post it, no problem.

If the job of Jurnalism was left to Trump that would be a fulltime job and one very frowned apon for a president to do. Let`s take a look at msm and it`s ratings over the years, cnn sucks, msnbc sucks most all suck. I watch Chris Tucker from time to time and since he took over for Bill O`Reiley the show has really done good. I`m suprised the left hasen`t shut it down yet. Not that I take Alex Jones at his word but his ratings are better than Megyn Kelly lol  Now why is that, it`s because we no longer trust msm.  The msm media has shot themselves in the foot and it`s not due to Trump. 

Honestly until Trump's election I would have agreed with you. Now however  MSM ratings are actually up with folks like Colbert and Maddow actually leading on many nights ( I cant stand either of them BTW). 

Personally I see an oppositional and investigative press as a vital part of a free society. They truly are the 4th branch of the government without which our nation wouldnt exist. 

As for Megan Kelly's ratings, what network is she on again? Noone watches network news anymore , thats a statement about technological advancement and societal practices , not a statement about the MSM. 

7 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I watch Chris Tucker from time to time 

The comedian? :huh:

Guess our daily news here in America really is a joke :lol:

• Like 1

Those two names creep me out man.

Colbert and Maddow  are a laughing stock. Colbert does bad comedy and Maddow does bad news. Did you see her try to revieal Trumps tax returns lol. She exposed Trump as paying his taxes I think upwards of 36 million dollars in one year. It was worse than Geraldo Rivera opening All Capones vault fail to find nothing, zero, zip, nada.

• Like 1

Colbert and Maddow  are a laughing stock. Colbert does bad comedy and Maddow does bad news. Did you see her try to revieal Trumps tax returns lol. She exposed Trump as paying his taxes I think upwards of 36 million dollars in one year. It was worse than Geraldo Rivera opening All Capones vault fail to find nothing, zero, zip, nada.

Haha i did enjoy that "unveiling" LOL ...the Capone vault is the perfect analogy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

The comedian? :huh:

Guess our daily news here in America really is a joke :lol:

That`s kinda why I watch him, he get`s some good ones off :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

That`s kinda why I watch him, he get`s some good ones off :D

I'm now confused... :lol:

I thought you actually meant Tucker Carlson who took over for Oreilly,but maybe you really did mean the black comedian lol

As i said not a big difference between newscasters and comedians anymore :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Haha i did enjoy that "unveiling" LOL ...the Capone vault is the perfect analogy 

So did I

This was me :mellow:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I'm now confused... :lol:

I thought you actually meant Tucker Carlson who took over for Oreilly,but maybe you really did mean the black comedian lol

As i said not a big difference between newscasters and comedians anymore :rofl:

:lol: Ok you got me, I got his name wrong but it was still funny. Thanks for the lol.

Tucker Carlson :rofl:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Madcow really did make an ass of himself on that...

• Like 1