Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US led forces use white phosphorous

OverSword

There have been allegations that US-led coalition forces in Raqqa, Syria were using white phosphorous in civilian populated areas. Although is was denied, the United States is now admitting to using white phosphorous in Mosul, Iraq.

Witnesses claimed to have seen the white phosphorous, which has a distinct look to it.

Images and reports from witnesses in the northern Syrian city of Raqqa suggest that the United States-led coalition battling the Islamic State there has used munitions loaded with white phosphorus, the use of which in populated areas is prohibited under international law. Photographs and video clips posted online showed blinding spots of light spreading outward on Thursday night over what residents said was eastern Raqqa. By day, the images showed low white puffs trailing tentacles of white smoke. Both are typical visual signatures of white phosphorus, which can be loaded into artillery shells

Link

• Like 1

A long time ago when I was an artillery forward observer, they told us law of land warfare allowed its use, it was considered simply another weapon.

Edited by The Russian Hare
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Well, depending on where it was used, that could be a war crime. 

21 minutes ago, The Russian Hare said:

A long time ago when I was an artillery forward observer, they told us law of land warfare allowed its use, it was considered simply another weapon.

It's a war crime to use it in the vicinity of civilians (I believe) and the Kiwi general said they were using it to shield civilians.

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It's a war crime to use it in the vicinity of civilians (I believe) and the Kiwi general said they were using it to shield civilians.

I believe you are correct. I'm sure I could find the answer online, but i'm busy doing.... stuff.... 200.webp#1-grid1

Though "shielding civilians" necessitates the use near civilians. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

Witnesses claimed to have seen the white phosphorous, which has a distinct look to it.

Who are these witnesses?

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Well, depending on where it was used, that could be a war crime. 

Using it as a smoke screen to maneuver isn't illegal.  It's a horrific weapon and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see wounded with it than ISIS.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Who are these witnesses?

Who needs witnesses?  They admitted it's use.  Please read the article.

This is a very short article that I found helpful(knowing nothing about white phosphorus).

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/03/whats_so_great_about_white_phosphorus.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kartikg said:

all hell would have broken loose if it was used by Russians. 

To which response the Russians would have rolled their eyes and moved on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

To which response , the Russians would have rolled their eyes and moved on.

maybe but there would be talk of  war crimesinvestigation, sanctions , human right  abuse etc etc  don't  you feel usa gets off easily ? 

Willy Peter is nasty stuff--but very effective.