Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"City of Giants" Discovered in Ethiopia

Essan

On 6/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, kmt_sesh said:

This business with "ancient giants" is a mixture of misinterpreting pictorial artwork, misunderstanding ancient textual evidence, and not understanding the nature of real archaeological evidence and the realities of human evolution.

Well that and and the conspiracy by the Cabal foisted on us destroying or hiding evidence of them...

4 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Well that and and the conspiracy by the Cabal foisted on us destroying or hiding evidence of them...

As I explained earlier, we don't destroy anything. We just move it around a lot. Have you ever tried hiding a captured alien mothership in a Dairy Queen?

Both fringers (there were giants!!) and anti-fringers (there were no giants!!) seem to think that references to 'giants' in ancient mythologies refer to only one meaning of 'giant' in modern language. Assuming for a moment that 'giant' is even a close translation in all the languages it supposedly appears, how was it used? Perhaps usage as extremely tall / large people is a giant mistaken interpretation. Perhaps usage referred to intellectual prowess and complex achievement  that was so towering as to seem giant by comparison to the abilities of simple people. Perhaps their ancient builder ancestors were regarded as giants among men, like the super wealthy or celebrities are regarded today. (see what I did there?) Perhaps both fringers and anti fringers are barking up the wrong literalistic tree.

Or maybe those who wrote the texts were really short ... the average height in Southern Europe in the 1500s was five feet.

From wikipedia:

"The Bible also tells of Gog and Magog, who later entered into European folklore, and of the famous battle between David and the Philistine giant Goliath. The 1st-century historian Flavius Josephus, and the 1st-2nd-century BC Dead Sea Scrolls give Goliath's height as "four cubits and a span," approximately 2.00 m or about six feet seven inches.[3] The King James translation of the Bible reports the giant Goliath as "six cubits and a span" in height—about nine feet nine inches tall, (over 2.75 m) (1Samuel 17:4 KJV), but the Septuagint, a Greek Bible, gives Goliath's height as "four cubits and a span" (~2.00 m).

The difference between a culture averaging five feet and a culture averaging six feet seven inches or more would be worthy of mention in historical records (what modern scholars prefer to call 'mythologies'). 

Average height fluctuates over time. The  average height of Dutch men 150 years ago was 5 feet ... today the average height is 6 feet. Perhaps in some ancient time and place 7 feet was average ... surely enough to be regarded as giants by various later people who may have averaged 4 feet or maybe even less.

Edited by No Solid Ground

I wonder when the term "Giant" began to be used to describe someone other then a physically large person? Like saying Einstein was a mental Giant. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle... could be described as "giants" of their day.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, Cincinnati said:

Sounds like I need to make a trek to Sweden. 

Been twice RECOMMENDED - be sure to see the Vasa too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 7:17 PM, kmt_sesh said:

You are more than welcome to join the parade of fringe folly. All that is required is a big imagination, a rudimentary knowledge of history and science, the ability to twist basic facts into nonsense, and an old can of chili with an Atlantean spirit trapped in it.

Do you fit any of these criteria?

Judge me how you will.  The fact that you are openly ridiculing other ideas from a (moderator) position of power lends credence to the so called fringers more so than it does your own ideas.

8 minutes ago, Wendigo Wangs said:

Judge me how you will.  The fact that you are openly ridiculing other ideas from a (moderator) position of power lends credence to the so called fringers more so than it does your own ideas.

Not to deaden your thunder but I believe Kmt_Sesh was sentenced to his position as moderator for his past crimes against the fringe community to wit: 4 cites to supporting papers, 3 counts of providing actual excavation reports, 2 artifact analysis, and an onsite witness in a pear tree.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Not to deaden your thunder but I believe Kmt_Sesh was sentenced to his position as moderator for his past crimes against the fringe community to wit: 4 cites to supporting papers, 3 counts of providing actual excavation reports, 2 artifact analysis, and an onsite witness in a pear tree.

May he never be forgiven :P:D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wendigo Wangs said:

That might be more valid coming from someone who is not  named after a wang on a Wendigo  !

• Like 2

anywayz ... not only giant people ! 

This poor man suffers from a case of giant genital crabs !  

Spoiler

Related image

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wendigo Wangs said:

No, not really. My position as a Mod lends no more weight to my posts than your position as a poster does to yours. I take it you're not familiar with me. I post and take part in discussions like anyone else, and step in as a Mod only when there's a problem. The same is true for all Moderators at UM. So there's nothing to be afraid of. If anyone here was actually intimidated by me, I doubt they would give me the boatload of ribbing I receive here every day. And I return the ribbing.

So put aside notions of "power" where no such thing is relevant. Stick to the merits (or lack thereof) of the discussion. What I will stand by is the facts I post and the known evidence abut which I write. The fact is—as I often say—no fringe argument has ever passed scrutiny and no fringe argument has ever put a dent in orthodox history. So I might ridicule the idea because a fringe idea isn't really something I can take seriously...but I will never ridicule the poster.

Care to debate an argument about the fringe's take on history? Giants, perhaps?

• Like 3

Oh, Wendigo Wangs, as anyone here will tell you, I'm just a big cuddly teddy bear.

And I am hardly perfect. Mistakes of mine have been pointed out by other posters. Feel free to do the same if you think I've made a mistake about something in a post of mine. We can discuss it from there.

No one is perfect. Well, of course, except for Harte.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

That might be more valid coming from someone who is not  named after a wang on a Wendigo  !

Man, leave it to you to notice that. I honestly didn't...and now it's all I see. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

anywayz ... not only giant people ! 

This poor man suffers from a case of giant genital crabs !  

Reveal hidden contents

Related image

Ouch. Just...ouch.

How do you scratch something like that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, Wendigo Wangs, as anyone here will tell you, I'm just a big cuddly teddy bear.

mummyusaf.jpg

• Like 6

That's a cute critter, and the price is right. Too bad it's not plush. However am I to cuddle with it?

That's okay. I have a Tutty Bear:

TuttyBear.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, kmt_sesh said:

No, not really. My position as a Mod lends no more weight to my posts than your position as a poster does to yours. I take it you're not familiar with me. I post and take part in discussions like anyone else, and step in as a Mod only when there's a problem. The same is true for all Moderators at UM. So there's nothing to be afraid of. If anyone here was actually intimidated by me, I doubt they would give me the boatload of ribbing I receive here every day. And I return the ribbing.

So put aside notions of "power" where no such thing is relevant. Stick to the merits (or lack thereof) of the discussion. What I will stand by is the facts I post and the known evidence abut which I write. The fact is—as I often say—no fringe argument has ever passed scrutiny and no fringe argument has ever put a dent in orthodox history. So I might ridicule the idea because a fringe idea isn't really something I can take seriously...but I will never ridicule the poster.

Care to debate an argument about the fringe's take on history? Giants, perhaps?

I really don't know you.  The time I've spent on this site rarely took me to this sub.  I have a new interest in Ancient Earth so I've been browsing it more often.  Thanks for the reply and apologies for being complicit in causing you thoughts of a Wendigo's wang. 

25 minutes ago, Wendigo Wangs said:

I really don't know you.  The time I've spent on this site rarely took me to this sub.  I have a new interest in Ancient Earth so I've been browsing it more often.  Thanks for the reply and apologies for being complicit in causing you thoughts of a Wendigo's wang. 

That's all back to earth's fault. It's the way his mind works. No apologies necessary.

I'm not certain what you mean by "Ancient Earth," which could cover all sorts of things. But if there's something in particular you'd like to discuss, please feel free to start a new thread.

On 6/17/2017 at 9:24 AM, Hanslune said:

Yes and interesting discovery. I'm 6'2" and the first time I went to Sweden I found it very strange to be be a rather short person there, I had been the tallest person in my HS (in Hawaii) and it was a bit disorienting to have lots of women taller than me wandering about! In that instance I understand how shorter people might label anyone taller than them 'giants'.

As noted if there were tribes of giants (9-25+ footers) we should have no problem finding giant housing, tools and of course skeletons. The fantastical stories about every government in the world hiding them is both ludicrous and amusing

Amusing? Yes ludicrous? Maybe but lets be honest govt. Around the world hide stuff regularly so why wouldn't this be hidden? You should look into the history of the Smithsonian institute and tell me aftwords that at the least some stuff is shady. Not saying there was giants or not just saying dont blindly denie something because it seems unbelievable. This world is much more mysterious than one could believe

On 6/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, Hanslune said:

Yes and interesting discovery. I'm 6'2" and the first time I went to Sweden I found it very strange to be be a rather short person there, I had been the tallest person in my HS (in Hawaii) and it was a bit disorienting to have lots of women taller than me wandering about! In that instance I understand how shorter people might label anyone taller than them 'giants'.

Disorienting right up till the slow dancing started and you leaned your head in...

25 minutes ago, Plato Thornton said:

Amusing? Yes ludicrous? Maybe but lets be honest govt. Around the world hide stuff regularly so why wouldn't this be hidden? You should look into the history of the Smithsonian institute and tell me aftwords that at the least some stuff is shady. Not saying there was giants or not just saying dont blindly denie something because it seems unbelievable. This world is much more mysterious than one could believe

They hide archaeology stuff that anyone can dig out of the ground? Why would they do that? I'm well aware of the history of the Smithsonian and there is nothing shady at all. A  number of fringe people have made claims as they needed some way to explain why they have no evidence - so they slandered the Smithsonian.

To have a belief in real non-human giants all you need is DNA or a few skeletons, teeth or a habitation site. None of these at the present exist.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I'm well aware of the history of the Smithsonian and there is nothing shady at all.

Ales Hrdslicka and demanding skeletal remains for evidence of humans in antiquity populating  the Americas despite obviously human worked stone tools and marked animal bones...

Wow, I never realized how easy it was to refute Orthodox Academic assertions.

Edited by Jarocal
Ramps have been debunked

33 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Ales Hrdslicka and demanding skeletal remains for evidence of humans in antiquity populating  the Americas despite obviously human worked stone tools and marked animal bones...

Wow, I never realized how easy it was to refute Orthodox Academic assertions.

Who & wut???

• Like 1

I believe there is a tribe in Africa where the average person is 7 ft tall. I can imagine historically, these people would be considered giants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Who & wut???

Google "Hrdslicka Smithsonian".

He was one of the strongest opponents for the(then) early datings at Folsom and Clovis.