Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google Owned 23andMe Is Terrifying

Farmer77

23andMe Is Terrifying, but Not for the Reasons the FDA Thinks 

The Personal Genome Service isn’t primarily intended to be a medical device. It is a mechanism meant to be a front end for a massive information-gathering operation against an unwitting public.

• Like 3

I would never do this. The less people know about me the better.

• Like 5

Refusing to sell one medical or life insurance based on genetics would be a problem.  I can see it being used to deny employment in some situations, also.  The truth is that we are all part of a massive data set that is being manipulated for the profit of some.  I don't have much of a problem with it because living in today's world requires a willingness to allow others to know vast amounts about us.  As much as we like to think that we are unique, the fact is that we are all lab rats for the media and their advertisers to manipulate.  Voluntarily giving a corporation our DNA  isn't any worse than all the millions of bits of data we allow them to collect on us every year.  The day may be approaching when it will literally become unlawful to live "off the grid".  When THAT day arrives, I might start my own venture.  I'll call it .223 and YOU :gun::w00t:

• Like 9

And they are selling your info to Big Pharma, they always have been clear about it from the get go. Oh, and they patented the "designer baby" concept.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, and then said:

I might start my own venture.  I'll call it .223 and YOU :gun::w00t:

:clap: Well done! 

• Like 2

I have also seen a few commercials that claim to trace ones ancestory with an at home dna test that you send them. I wouldn`t do it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I have also seen a few commercials that claim to trace ones ancestory with an at home dna test that you send them. I wouldn`t do it.

My wife gave me the 23&me kit for Christmas.  My great-grandmother was Native American- 100%  That test said I was 99.5% Northern European.  Negligible component of Native American ancestry.  You do the math and tell me how accurate they were with me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, and then said:

My wife gave me the 23&me kit for Christmas.  My great-grandmother was Native American- 100%  That test said I was 99.5% Northern European.  Negligible component of Native American ancestry.  You do the math and tell me how accurate they were with me.

I never did put any stock in those tests. My adoption papers say I`m Scottish and Irish but who know`s and I really don`t care. My dad says he is Icelandic and my mom says she was born by the ocean :lol:. My adopted parents that is. I think they are pulling my leg but they said it with out cracking a smile <_< I did meet my biological mom a few times and she looks like a blonde haired Swedish lady. I maybe what some call a mutt. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Its gonna be difficult in the future to not give up your DNA with all the advances of gene therapy. Health insurance companies, hospitals etc will all want to know your intimate secrets. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

just imagine in future the kits may need a strand of your hair. anyone can collect it from your shower drain or from your comb and do anyalsis on it, not at a lab but at their homes. 

• Like 3

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM, and then said:

Well either the test is wrong or you are adopted. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kartikg said:

just imagine in future the kits may need a strand of your hair. anyone can collect it from your shower drain or from your comb and do anyalsis on it, not at a lab but at their homes. 

It doesn't work quite well yet with hair, unless the lab has hair root, they can't do anything with that. 

4 hours ago, kartikg said:

Well either the test is wrong or you are adopted. 

It doesn't have to be. A great-grand mother would contribute on average to 12.5% of one's DNA, but it could be even less. Even old American DNA, like the Anzick boy (12,500 years old) and Kennewick man (9,500 years old) have a good part of old Eurasian DNA and it's impossible to tell whether these old pattern are German, Russian or Lakota. So everything left of her could be 6% ancient Eurasian DNA, impossible to attribute to ancient Native Americans. Plus, she may not have been full blood to begin with, often family lore then to make the full blood closer then it really was, probably misremembering what the older generations told.most often than not. Unless one has a solid paper trail of that great-grand-mother's 8 great-grand-parents, it's hard to tell whether the family lore was accurate.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 4

On 6/28/2017 at 4:35 AM, Captain Risky said:

Its gonna be difficult in the future to not give up your DNA with all the advances of gene therapy. Health insurance companies, hospitals etc will all want to know your intimate secrets. 

They will take it at your birth. We are being trained for collars in a way. My phone my t.v. my watch and debit cards and credit cards even my car will spy on me. DNA is just the next step. 

• Like 5

I'm actually ordering one of these test with my next paycheck lol.

It's show ancestorary and a lot of health information. Plus just fun facts.

I don't really care if people know my genetic code. We are years off from cloning or anything crazy. Plus I like my genes so if someone cloned me then that's fine lol

All alzhimers runs in the family I'd like to know if I'm careying that bomb or not 

Can someone explain to me why u shouldn't do this?

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't really care if people know my genetic code. We are years off from cloning or anything crazy. Plus I like my genes so if someone cloned me then that's fine lol

All alzhimers runs in the family I'd like to know if I'm careying that bomb or not 

Because of the Illuminati!! duh!

• Like 2

We've already likely reached the point where there is no privacy. But think of your DNA as the ultimate social security number. You don't want that getting into the wrong hands because, well...you don't want that much intimate information known by just anyone. It's like having your entire health background, but on top of that, it would also be known what ailments you might be susceptible to in the future. The fact that it reveals ancestry should also give pause. I'm sure the Klan would love to have that info. Hitler would have loved to have something like that in place. 

Also...DNA evidence, anyone? Imagine how easy it would be to frame someone if it was easily available. 

Edited by ChaosRose

On 6/17/2017 at 3:09 PM, Farmer77 said:

23andMe Is Terrifying, but Not for the Reasons the FDA Thinks 

The Personal Genome Service isn’t primarily intended to be a medical device. It is a mechanism meant to be a front end for a massive information-gathering operation against an unwitting public.

I've always thought this about these types of services. 

On 6/18/2017 at 1:10 PM, The Silver Thong said:

I never did put any stock in those tests. My adoption papers say I`m Scottish and Irish but who know`s and I really don`t care. My dad says he is Icelandic and my mom says she was born by the ocean :lol:. My adopted parents that is. I think they are pulling my leg but they said it with out cracking a smile <_< I did meet my biological mom a few times and she looks like a blonde haired Swedish lady. I maybe what some call a mutt. 

In America we almost ALL qualify as mutts :w00t:  They may not always be pretty but they're survivors!

• Like 2

The only issue that might be reasonable to defer from it would be the potential for health or life insurance companies to decide to deny coverage or to raise rates based on this information.  I think that will be a problem in coming years.  Unless we go to single-payer.  In that case, it shouldn't matter because everyone will have "coverage" but few will get decent care.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 8:08 PM, Gingitsune said:

It doesn't work quite well yet with hair, unless the lab has hair root, they can't do anything with that. 

It doesn't have to be. A great-grand mother would contribute on average to 12.5% of one's DNA, but it could be even less. Even old American DNA, like the Anzick boy (12,500 years old) and Kennewick man (9,500 years old) have a good part of old Eurasian DNA and it's impossible to tell whether these old pattern are German, Russian or Lakota. So everything left of her could be 6% ancient Eurasian DNA, impossible to attribute to ancient Native Americans. Plus, she may not have been full blood to begin with, often family lore then to make the full blood closer then it really was, probably misremembering what the older generations told.most often than not. Unless one has a solid paper trail of that great-grand-mother's 8 great-grand-parents, it's hard to tell whether the family lore was accurate.

I'll have to take your word for it but the test claimed I had less that 1% Native American heritage and my grandmother was 50% Cherokee.  She absolutely had the facial features and coloring to validate it and her mother was actually on a reservation when she married.  She was a tiny person and very dark skinned, she didn't even have a good command of English.  But I guess that could be put down to family lore.  It came from multiple sources within my family and extended family, though.  Anyway, I'm content with my ancestry being 99% Northwestern European.  It may help explain why I hate the steamy hot summers I live in and why I sweat inordinately in them ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I

You might need to due just that to get a paycheck in the near future.  Oh Oh my great great great grandfather was a pirate so no job for you. I know a bit over the top  

• Like 2

I understand what you are all saying but I'm also fairly certain we will create laws against all those actions. The great part about democracy.

We all agree those things are wrong 

• Like 1