Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA reveals footage of its Valkyrie robot

UM-Bot

I wonder why Bi-pedal and humanoid. Surely not the best configuration if it is purely intended for a Martian environment

the Japanese Asimo robot far outshines that clunky slow thing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keithisco said:

I wonder why Bi-pedal and humanoid. Surely not the best configuration if it is purely intended for a Martian environment

I was thinking the same thing, a quadruped or even a hexapod insect like design would be inherently more stable and you could eliminated the stabilizers necessary in a bipedal robot. The energy needed for balancing could be used instead for locomotion. 

Learning by imitation provides a method that will allow more complex robots to learn by observation. Hence we see the human-like robot. The parallel format also allows for measuring of human dynamics in unknown environments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

Learning by imitation provides a method that will allow more complex robots to learn by observation. Hence we see the human-like robot. The parallel format also allows for measuring of human dynamics in unknown environments.

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your post. Is it not easier to build a robot that is inherently stable by having 4 or more points of contact with the surface (I don't think tree-climbing skills will be necessary). A humanoid robot requires multiple accelerometers, servo-motors, proximity sensors, and multiple attitude sensors to remain upright and just walk. Lowering the centre of gravity and distributing the weight between 4 (or more) "legs" makes better, and simpler, engineering sense.   

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your post. Is it not easier to build a robot that is inherently stable by having 4 or more points of contact with the surface (I don't think tree-climbing skills will be necessary). A humanoid robot requires multiple accelerometers, servo-motors, proximity sensors, and multiple attitude sensors to remain upright and just walk. Lowering the centre of gravity and distributing the weight between 4 (or more) "legs" makes better, and simpler, engineering sense.   

That latter part of what he said:

4 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

The parallel format also allows for measuring of human dynamics in unknown environments.

That is the primary driver here. Seeing human-like movements and designs in unknown environments allows us to extrapolate the data and even prepare for new places. If we see a human-like robot struggle on Mars with daily tasks, we can better pepare future humans for said tasks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keithisco said:

21 hours ago, seeder said:

the Japanese Asimo robot far outshines that clunky slow thing!

The answer to both lies in the article itself:

Valkyrie is designed to be a robust, rugged, entirely electric humanoid robot capable of operating in degraded or damaged human-engineered environments.

So key words are human-engineered environment, meaning that it has to interact efficiently in an environment designed to be used by humans (so which best shape than humanoid?) and rugged, that unfortunately, so far, we can't say about Asimo. 

If I remember correctly they plan (or at least planned) to use it first on the ISS and that would be awesome to see! 

Edited by Parsec
Typo

5 hours ago, Parsec said:

The answer to both lies in the article itself:

So key words are human-engineered environment, meaning that it has to interact efficiently in an environment designed to be used by humans (so which best shape than humanoid?) and rugged, that unfortunately, so far, we can't say about Asimo. 

Asimo is built to look good.... it can easy be outfitted for ruggedness....the point I make about Asimo...is that its the most advanced robot in the world......in terms of intelligence, movement and dexterity...its just clad in plastic to look good. Point being, it has the technology needed and as seen in the vids, you could be forgiven a small man was inside it.... for Mars...  just dress it up differently.....change a few of its programmes...adding ruggedness is the easy bit

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keithisco said:

Sorry, I should have provided more clarity with regard to imitation learning. Imitation learning is a method, for example, where a child might observe an adult to learn a particular activity. In the case of a machine, explicit and tedious programing is minimized or even eliminated by allowing the machine to more implicitly observe the activity in a natural way and learn. This robotics approach is not new and has been researched for at least a couple of decades. And, as mentioned, the benefits are then reciprocal with regard to application to humans.

• Like 1

It didn't take long for someone to make that will popular comment about hope the Japanese do things better.  I think the Asimo robot is excellent as well, but it spends most of its time dancing like Michael Jackson hahaha.