Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats were first domesticated 9,000 years ago

UM-Bot

"I would say cats chose human company, but it was a commensal relationship - it was profitable to both sides," said Dr Geigl.

Sounds like a cat to me!

• Like 1

Proffer dogs myself . Though cats will protect their home and humans with just as much ferociousness .

• Like 2

I love cats and dogs equally as well.  They have both proven to be wonderful companions.  

:wub:

• Like 3

Horse dufers!!! Cats are never domesticated. They only act civilized once they get YOU domesticated to their wants and needs and even then they do stuff just to annoy you and mess with your head. 

• Like 2

The article says "Scientists believe that humanity's relationship with felines began when wild cats started hanging around farms to prey on mice which were being attracted by grain stores." 9000 years ago? Thats what it sounds like anyway.

Edited by strunk64
half of my post didn't show up again

19 hours ago, ROGER said:

Proffer dogs myself . Though cats will protect their home and humans with just as much ferociousness .

I've had cats around my whole life.    Currently I have 3.   One is 16 years old, One is mostly an outside cat and the other is a month old kitten.   Personally I would have 2 at a maximum, one indoor and one outdoor.   But It's just me against my wife and 2 daughters. 

Anyhoo, I've never seen them  protect the home or persons.  

21 hours ago, Nzo said:

Having grown up with cats and dogs. I can say this for certain... Cats domesticated us, not vice versa. lol

The cats figured they had a good thing going.  Food when they wanted it. Attention when they wanted.  All that staff and so many things to do.

I love cats.  I don't have one now because my Brittany thinks cats are good for chasing only.  She groups them with squirrels, birds, possums......

Edited by paperdyer
corrected wording.

I have two little dogs and one big cat that runs things. Whoever said that dogs and cats don't get along is silly. When I brought the little kitten home my Yorkie got excited and started making milk. She raised that cat and I didn't think she was ever going to wean him. He is spoiled rotten and in general acts more like a dog than a cat...as long as he gets his way. My daughter has three big dogs and now two cats. It used to be three but the old Queen died a year ago. That cat had no claws and not many teeth but all dogs feared her. She jumped on top of a big cow dog that messed with one of her dogs. It was hilarious. She was hissing and he was screaming and we still can't figure out what the dog was so upset about. She put him in a corner and he staid there the rest of the night. If he even looked like he wanted to come out she would puff up and hiss and he would whine and cringe back into the corner. This dog was a real working cattle dog a catahoula cur. They are not timid dogs. My dogs would run and hide if she came out but they were little guys. 

Cats took one look at humans and realized we would make perfect servants for them.

Truthfully my current cat is amazingly affectionate. I think that he sees me more like a favorite pet than just a servant...as long as I get up and do what he wants in a fairly speedy fashion.