Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First time post, weird black orb.

Emberlynrose

Hello! This is my first time on here and wanted to see what you guys think of what I could have seen.

When I was on my way home from a night shift I saw this... Black non reflective, almost void like but solid orb. It was on the side of the hilled road so my first thought is why is this ball not rolling? and as I am slowing down to look at it, my lights are not bouncing off of it as if was actually a perfectaly matte, flat surface. When I drive over it (so that it doesnt get ran over, meaning it moving between my tires.) it vanished, it was no longer in my view nor in my mirror when I looked back.

To better understand what it might look like if you are aware of what vantablack looks like it is very similar And honestly it still doesnt come that close.

This is not the first time I have seen this exact "thing". It is always at night but never in the same spots, or even states.

It really makes me wonder what it could be. If you have any thoughts let me know.

Hi Emberlynrose, welcome to the "club", can you give us a size of this anomaly , and if possible a photo. does it move or is it static. cheers S.T.M

Hey Spud, Unfortinatly I do not have a photo right at this moment. Honestly it startles me and I usually don't even think about takeing a picture. But I will try next time I see it. It is roughly the size of a softball? Maybe a hair bigger. Thankfully it stays the same size every time I see it.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, could it simply be some kind of phenomena related to the eye?

Eg. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterimage

One type of afterimage is seeing black spots after looking at bright lights in the dark.

That fits what you've explained, at night, non-reflective, void, lights not bouncing off it, it vanishes, never in the same spot, in different states.

The easy way to work out if it's and internal thing would be to get a dashcam. 

The only reason why I think its not is because its fairly recent and happens even when its pitch black in the middle of the countryside. I did think about that and I actually went to the eye doctor and they found nothing wrong. But very good suggestion nevertheless.

It's good you've been to the doctor, that eliminates a number of possibilities. 

Afterimage is a normal phenomena and has nothing to do with the health of the eye, so it would be expected that the doctor wouldn't find anything related to that, unless you routinely stare at the sun :rofl:

But yeah, a dashcam, or even mounting your phone and recording on that, and correlating one of your sightings with the recorded data will quickly allow you to work out if it's internal or external to you. And then if you do capture images/footage of it, we'll have a much better chance trying to work out what it is.