Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Stairs in the middle of Nowhere?

Columbo

Has anyone on here heard about people finding sets of stairs in the middle of forests? Nothing else connected to them, just stairs leading up to no where? Some have reported experiencing strange phenomena when near them, like missing time or, just a sense of dread and fear?

Edited by Columbo
  • Like 1

This is a fairly well known fictional story. Actually, part of a series of stories by SARwoods (first appearing on Reddit) written from the viewpoint of a US Forest Service Search and Rescue officer, who details his various encounters with strange phenomena.

The image below (shown in the video) is actually a sculpture in the UK.

RpsJoXP.jpg?1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I dunno about paranormal aspects to it... but yes, sometimes people find stairs in the woods. Tends to be stuff like when an old farmhouse collapses away, leaving just some of the base which can include the front steps. Or the odd old place that had stairs as part of more formal grounds that has fallen to almost non existence, with just bits of stuff sticking out here and there. Occasional old stone works too where a lot has crumbled away, but not the stairs. It's rare, but sometimes frame structures fall apart along the growing trees, leaving chunks of house like stairwells leaning drunkenly supported by the trees. Once in a blue moon one might stumble across what used to be a double decker outhouse with just the stairs still standing or an old oddly built observation/hunting plaform.

Sometimes depending on where one lives, one can find stairs to nowhere in odd lots or on the edges of roads and farmers fields. Sometimes this is when a concrete seller has a dump lot, or a trailer park got started and never finished, and so the cement works remain, getting overgrown. Sometimes it's a local woodworker that leaves a set of stairs out as advertising for his work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Those stairs are to a lodge behind the veil.

If you take a highway from SoCal to the North end of the Grand Canyon, somewhere along that long stretch of desert road you'll come across a series of signs that simply say, "Scary Larry".  A few hours afterwards you'll come across a town that, as of 10 or so years ago, mostly consisted of incomplete houses and held what looked like the cast of an inbred horror film.  When leaving the town(we made sure we were gone as soon as possible) you'll find another sign.  This sign is simply a question mark above an arrow point to the right that directs you to a dirt road that somehow stands out in the desert and goes off into the distance.

What I'm getting at is yes, I would believe it if someone told me they were hiking in the woods and found a staircase that went nowhere.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, MizzPurrdy503 said:

OK that would explain the stairs that are built upright but what about the ones the are upside down? 

What do you mean upside down?

On 6/19/2017 at 11:59 PM, rashore said:

I dunno about paranormal aspects to it... but yes, sometimes people find stairs in the woods. Tends to be stuff like when an old farmhouse collapses away, leaving just some of the base which can include the front steps. Or the odd old place that had stairs as part of more formal grounds that has fallen to almost non existence, with just bits of stuff sticking out here and there. Occasional old stone works too where a lot has crumbled away, but not the stairs. It's rare, but sometimes frame structures fall apart along the growing trees, leaving chunks of house like stairwells leaning drunkenly supported by the trees. Once in a blue moon one might stumble across what used to be a double decker outhouse with just the stairs still standing or an old oddly built observation/hunting plaform.

Sometimes depending on where one lives, one can find stairs to nowhere in odd lots or on the edges of roads and farmers fields. Sometimes this is when a concrete seller has a dump lot, or a trailer park got started and never finished, and so the cement works remain, getting overgrown. Sometimes it's a local woodworker that leaves a set of stairs out as advertising for his work.

There was a abandon party spot used by the wealthy during prohibition in a section of woods still owned by a Philadelphia family. It was the remains of 2 pavilions and a spring fed circular swimming pool. It looked like a ancient Greek ruin and was on of my favorite places to camp. I used one of the pavilion foundations which had the remains of a barbecue pit and a nice flat spot to sleep on.  The pool silted up and became a mud pit surrounded by a wall though because the wall broke and the spring ran into the stream.

Edited by Piney
typo- need coffee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2017 at 1:14 AM, MizzPurrdy503 said:

OK that would explain the stairs that are built upright but what about the ones the are upside down? 

Umm. Try walking around to the other side of your upside down stairs, and ... tadaaah!

What I don't understand is why they would make the stairs so much sturdier than other areas, it's almost as if they expected them to have a lot of traffic/stomping...

oh ..  wait...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just letting you know almost every creepypasta video that takes place in the woods from different writers and you tubers they all have the stairs appear at least once or mentioned and they seem to be in the middle of the greater scheme of things from the story of rescue officers to a man who lives in a house in the middle of nowhere visited by a secret agency and funny enough the stairs are well known and acknowledged in the story. So these stories are all connected by the stairs like if it was centering around it.

• 1 month later...

Friends of ours have land in the Mojave, and we'll go out there to shoot, picnic, the usual. The last time we went out we took a different dirt road and ended up at a concrete slab, with a set of poured concrete stairs. Too fancy to be a prospector's cabin. We guessed it was a leftover from the land boom days of the 70s, another dream taken by the Mojave.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, Columbo said:

Has anyone on here heard about people finding sets of stairs in the middle of forests? Nothing else connected to them, just stairs leading up to no where? Some have reported experiencing strange phenomena when near them, like missing time or, just a sense of dread and fear?

"Just one more thing, sir..."  Love Columbo, I'm a big fan!

This is creepy enough but I wonder if any stairs have been found going down into....??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hum, while not in the middle of nowhere stairs are something im oddly drawn to, i grew up in a small place single story and likely was in my 20s before i was every upstairs in a residential home so it had a cool factor for me.

My house was in a neighborhood that were built for soldiers coming home from the korean war super small, a living room, dining kitchen combo sort of like the honeymooners set, and most of the houses had been added onto some many times, ours had an added den, and garage, and if you looked under the house the concrete steps that had lead into the side door of the kitchen were abandoned, making it more odd a back door was added with more concrete steps, so basically had the old steps been turned and swung around to the back they could have been reused but werent.

Times changed and many of those houses were being tore down and what i called mcmansions built, so we flipped ours as a tear down and moved out to an old fixer upper, it was built in 09 by a town founder a full basement, and attic and 2 stories, two staircases, one a bit narrow and steep, the attic stairs make the ceiling of these narrow stairs, so i thought that was a cool design,

After the second foyer is a small weird closet with an odd angled back after i did some snooping this was at one time an indoor staircase to the basement, they seemed to have blocked its use before in the 70s when a now defunct ac duct ran across there, the stairs are still in the basement laying in a pile of antique lumber and i plan to return this feature there is even little secret hutch up in there,

In the attic is yet more stairs that go to the roof, very rickety and even though i braced them better i havent gave them a try yet.

for many years perhaps 20 or more i had dreams of odd weird stairs not exactally like these but the same odd weird feel,

Weve been here about 4 years and i havent had dreams with stairs since, for reasons i havent a clue im drawn to stairs and now im well covered.

And yes, around here are many old stairs where the house fell down but the stairs hung on.

Never ran across a totally disembodied set of stairs but I did once see a grand set of them that led to the side of an antebellum home in Natchez, MS.  No doorway at the top, just a wall.  Seems those stairs had been all that was left of the previous home after a lightning strike burned the previous house down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Never ran across a totally disembodied set of stairs but I did once see a grand set of them that led to the side of an antebellum home in Natchez, MS.  No doorway at the top, just a wall.  Seems those stairs had been all that was left of the previous home after a lightning strike burned the previous house down.

There was a 1940s fire escape style metal stairs that went up to a bricked up doorway at my Gram's manor. Of course in British minds if your going to avoid a Luftwaffe bomb that's going to hit the house you might as well run straight into their machine gun fire. :yes:

6 hours ago, Piney said:

There was a 1940s fire escape style metal stairs that went up to a bricked up doorway at my Gram's manor. Of course in British minds if your going to avoid a Luftwaffe bomb that's going to hit the house you might as well run straight into their machine gun fire. :yes:

Damn... that's taking the "stiff upper lip' to the extreme!

• Haha 2