Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anonymous: 'NASA to announce alien life'

sorry Xeno, we both posted about microbes and the beginnings of life

Great minds think alike huh?

• Like 1

Just now, Bau said:

I understand what you're saying about making assumptions, although I do see it in a different light, being prepared. I want to be prepared for all the crazies that will come out the closet,

At most it would make a lot of people realize how unimportant a species we are in the universe, I feel religions would freak out first, as that's their whole hook, line, and sinker.

• Like 1

Just now, seeder said:

sorry Xeno, we both posted about microbes and the beginnings of life

Great minds think alike huh?

Well give it back when you're done.:lol:

• Like 1

Religion doesnt play as big a role nowadays as some like to think

Science has already chased religion off...  only the fools use the religion argument

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

At most it would make a lot of people realize how unimportant a species we are in the universe, I feel religions would freak out first, as that's their whole hook, line, and sinker.

We can't assume these things because we don't have an alien, remember?

None of us know how the world will react. We can only speculate. It's probably going to be a mixture of emotions and reactions. Hopefully I get to find out though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bau said:

So 39 people committing suicide at the same time because they thought a UFO was coming isn't good enough evidence.

How big does this group need to be if it to go with "mass panic"? Does this mass panic have to be about UFOs or can it be about other topics? Because for example, there was a live TV show that was broadcasted in the UK in the 90s or 80s, can't remember which one. This show pretended that there was a ghost live on TV, which was totally fake, but the people that were hosting the show made people believe it. It was over the news, some people commited suicide and people didn't calm down until this show told them that it was fake and not real. If people can freak out over a ghost, maybe they will freak out over a UFO? 

It's kinda hard to provide you with evidence over something which hasn't legitimately happened yet, but speculating over whether there would be mass panic is good to prepare yourself, as people do crazy things when they panic.

No it is not. It had nothing to do with a mass panic. It was a bunch of people leaving their physical husk to meet the mother ship. This was not in any way motivated by fear.

Maybe you do not understand what a panic is?  In the ghost story you mention more of what sounds like a panic. Can you actually produce any information about this incident?

The simple fact of the matter is that people do not panic over such situations. There appears to be no evidence people would panic. The idea of a panic is an urban myth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

No it is not. It had nothing to do with a mass panic. It was a bunch of people leaving their physical husk to meet the mother ship. This was not in any way motivated by fear.

Maybe you do not understand what a panic is?  In the ghost story you mention more of what sounds like a panic. Can you actually produce any information about this incident?

The simple fact of the matter is that people do not panic over such situations. There appears to be no evidence people would panic. The idea of a panic is an urban myth.

I've already discussed this to heck, if you want to see what I have posted about it, then I recommend reading the thread. You also can't say that people don't panic over such situations, when this world hasn't been put in the situation to panic about in the first place. This all speculation at the end of the day. From my side and yours.

Edited by Bau

20 minutes ago, Bau said:

That's another reason why I don't trust the Government completely, I forgot the name earlier, so I didn't want to mention it, but the delay on that coming to light makes me not trust anyone either. I get you with the fish thing, kinda like Chinese whispers in a way. What did you think of the link I posted btw? I don't want to end up reading a load of crap :x But I am curious on the subject.

That link pretty much sums up what I've read of Cold, although Donnenburger's missus saying Cold had an evil agenda was new - pretty much all the stuff I'd read summed him up as "creepy but good natured".

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

If I asked you to sell an idea to me how would you do it? Whatever your answer is, go with that. 

I'm not sure. I never came here to sell an idea, it was just to make a comment and then all my other comments have simply been responses to people speaking to me. Not sure what to saaay...

29 minutes ago, Bau said:

Martian is another word for alien. Alien is a word for something which isn't from or found on Earth. There is a big difference between microbes in a rock and a real physical living alien visiting your planet. Comparing the two is lousy as they are not the same thing.

The reason why I brought up Heaven's Gate is because it's one of the most well known documented cases of a reaction against UFOs. Whether you're religious or not, I don't really mind, however, there are more cults out there that would repeat similar behaviour. You also don't need to be religious or in a cult to be freaked out because of aliens.

Oh and here is a massive list of mass hysteria cases which dates to the middles ages, I'm also sure there are more cases which have also gone undocumented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

Whether or not you believe there will be mass hysteria/panic or not, I don't mind, but personally I do think it's an option, depending on the scenario we are placed in. Again, as stated before, it really depends what the purpose of the aliens are.

Wrong. The  Heaven's Gate group committed suicide to JOIN the mother ship, to join the aliens.

You need to understand a situation before using it as an example.

Which of the mass panics is applicable? Posting a list is rather pointless.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bau said:

I'm not sure. I never came here to sell an idea, it was just to make a comment and then all my other comments have simply been responses to people speaking to me. Not sure what to saaay...

Every comment you make is your point of view, it's your ideas about something. So how you present them and react to others view of them or their own views, leads to either a progressive dialog or a flame war. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Wrong. The  Heaven's Gate group committed suicide to JOIN the mother ship, to join the aliens.

You need to understand a situation before using it as an example.

Which of the mass panics is applicable? Posting a list is rather pointless.

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I was under the impression that they committed suicide to avoid the aliens. Either a botched documentary, or I can't remember it properly. If I wasn't to use it as an example, I wouldn't have learnt this and any form of education is a good thing. 

Have you even read the list? Do you know what mass hysteria is? The whole list is applicable, for different reasons itself. For example, 1518, the dancing hysteria where people wouldn't even sleep an continuosly danced for days. They ended up killing themselves over dancing... UFOs are a LOT more extreme. I don't know what people would do? I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE that hysteria and panic could happen. It's fine if you have a different opinion on events which haven't even happened yet, but you can't tell me that I am wrong, just like I can't tell you that you are wrong. I don't see you posting any "evidence."

3 minutes ago, Bau said:

I've already discussed this to heck, if you want to see what I have posted about it, then I recommend reading the thread. You also can't say that people don't panic over such situations, when this world hasn't been put in the situation to panic about in the first place. This all speculation at the end of the day. From my side and yours.

You have not discussed this. At best you appear to have no idea what happened with the heaven's gate group.

If we are to use your reasoning then you can't say the world would panic.

Actually there is good reason to believe that a panic would not happen.

• Like 1

I almost forgot about heaven's gate. I remember when it happened. Actually found a copy of the recruitment tape back in the 90's. Now I feel old.

• Like 2

You have not discussed this. At best you appear to have no idea what happened with the heaven's gate group.

If we are to use your reasoning then you can't say the world would panic.

Actually there is good reason to believe that a panic would not happen.

Post your evidence then? Why is everyone ONLY asking ME for evidence? What about everyone else? :rofl::rofl:

P.S. - I still don't understand why I "need" evidence on a personal opinion. Not here to convince anyone. Simple responding to people speaking to me. 

Edited by Bau

2 minutes ago, Bau said:

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I was under the impression that they committed suicide to avoid the aliens. Either a botched documentary, or I can't remember it properly. If I wasn't to use it as an example, I wouldn't have learnt this and any form of education is a good thing. 

Have you even read the list? Do you know what mass hysteria is? The whole list is applicable, for different reasons itself. For example, 1518, the dancing hysteria where people wouldn't even sleep an continuosly danced for days. They ended up killing themselves over dancing... UFOs are a LOT more extreme. I don't know what people would do? I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE that hysteria and panic could happen. It's fine if you have a different opinion on events which haven't even happened yet, but you can't tell me that I am wrong, just like I can't tell you that you are wrong. I don't see you posting any "evidence."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

well.... there are chemical options explaining the dancing plague that go beyond human nature.

• Like 1

Just now, Bau said:

I know every comment I make it my point of view? Which is why I have to reply when people are speaking to me, because apparently it's not okay to have a different opinion these days without a bunch of people throwing their toys out the pram. I'm also a lot more accepting over other peoples views and positions than anyone is towards me.

Don't take it personal, they're all subjective points of view unless they back it up with facts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I almost forgot about heaven's gate. I remember when it happened. Actually found a copy of the recruitment tape back in the 90's. Now I feel old.

Some prick actually snuck copies of that video into my local video store amongst the science fiction videos (as in, swapped out the movie for the video). Still haven't seen one episode of Blake's 7 because of that!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bau said:

No. The idea was that a mothership was approaching our part of space hiding behind a comet. The Heaven's Gate groupp planning to leave the Earth and go to the mothership. They needed to leave their "husks" behind. They took poison and put plastic bags over their head. Their death was followed by a trip to the mothership. All sorts of wingnuts like Art Bell posted photos of the mothership and RVers reported on viewing this nonexistent mothership.

This was not a case of panic. It was a purposeful effort to go join the liens on the mothership.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

well.... there are chemical options explaining the dancing plague that go beyond human nature.

Good point. What about the Salem Witch Trials then? I also don't know why it only mentioned Salem as well, because I know witch trials happened in the UK as well.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Don't take it personal, they're all subjective points of view unless they back it up with facts. 

I don't take it personally, which is why it makes me laugh even harder when morons add in pet names like "sunshine" or "sweetheart" to try and get a rise out of me. :') AS IF NO ONE HAS SAID THAT BEFORE. *guffaws* If anything I am more surprised that everyone is like "Evidence, evidence, evidence." when I have said numerous times what I am saying is personal opinion, with no evidence, which is speculations on my parts, but everyone is so serious. I don't see anyone else posting their evidence either when they have an opposing view :x

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Some prick actually snuck copies of that video into my local video store amongst the science fiction videos (as in, swapped out the movie for the video). Still haven't seen one episode of Blake's 7 because of that!

Is the recruitment video around on YouTube? Would be interested to watch it, I wanna know what these crazies have to say.

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

No. The idea was that a mothership was approaching our part of space hiding behind a comet. The Heaven's Gate groupp planning to leave the Earth and go to the mothership. They needed to leave their "husks" behind. They took poison and put plastic bags over their head. Their death was followed by a trip to the mothership. All sorts of wingnuts like Art Bell posted photos of the mothership and RVers reported on viewing this nonexistent mothership.

This was not a case of panic. It was a purposeful effort to go join the liens on the mothership.

I see... I suppose you are right then, but...

Not to be condescending here, but making things clear. Panic - sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

Are you really sure it's not panic though? What if they were anxious about missing their "flight"? Or anxious what would happen after the comet? And as well it kinda wildly unthinking behaviour they did to commit suicide because somehow they were going to get on a ship?

As well, you've jogged my memory of another cult. Which was the one where the leader killed everyone with grape KoolAid? Or was it GatorAid? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

4 minutes ago, Bau said:

Post your evidence then? Why is everyone ONLY asking ME for evidence? What about everyone else? :rofl::rofl:

P.S. - I still don't understand why I "need" evidence on a personal opinion. Not here to convince anyone. Simple responding to people speaking to me. 

The reason I ask for evidence is that I am looking to see why people often make this claim of panic. They do this for all sorts of situations including hiding the existence of aliens.

There is one celebrated case of alien invasion and that was the Halloween show by Orson Wells in which he did the book The War of the Worlds.

According to popular belief people panicked. They went nutty. In fact, that never happened. What did happen was that newspapers made reports to sell newspapers. A modern review of police records and other records shows that the panic never happened. So there is at least one example which suggests there would not be mass panic. I will be respond shortly with a link to the research.

• Like 3

The reason I ask for evidence is that I am looking to see why people often make this claim of panic. They do this for all sorts of situations including hiding the existence of aliens.

There is one celebrated case of alien invasion and that was the Halloween show by Orson Wells in which he did the book The War of the Worlds.

According to popular belief people panicked. They went nutty. In fact, that never happened. What did happen was that newspapers made reports to sell newspapers. A modern review of police records and other records shows that the panic never happened. So there is at least one example which suggests there would not be mass panic. I will be respond shortly with a link to the research.

That's fair play. Where is the evidence for this then?

2 minutes ago, Bau said:

Is the recruitment video around on YouTube? Would be interested to watch it, I wanna know what these crazies have to say.

I see... I suppose you are right then, but...

Not to be condescending here, but making things clear. Panic - sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

Are you really sure it's not panic though? What if they were anxious about missing their "flight"? Or anxious what would happen after the comet? And as well it kinda wildly unthinking behaviour they did to commit suicide because somehow they were going to get on a ship?

As well, you've jogged my memory of another cult. Which was the one where the leader killed everyone with grape KoolAid? Or was it GatorAid? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I believe you are referring to Jim Jones. He forced people to drink cyanide laced kool aid after he had his men gun down a member of the US house of representatives at the airport.

It was Jim Jones seeing the end of his career.

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked